Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southern Region > Georgia Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Georgia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: ChiefM SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-28-2003, 10:47 AM
New User

luv2ski45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
tapping ticking noise at cold start

I need some help with my dealer. I have a 2002 supercrew with a 4.6. On cold start it makes a tapping ticking noise for about 10 -20 seconds. My dealer says this is normal, they all do this. I don't believe him. Any help from other owners appreciated.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:15 AM
Postmaster

3broncocrazy has a great reputation on FTE.3broncocrazy has a great reputation on FTE.3broncocrazy has a great reputation on FTE.3broncocrazy has a great reputation on FTE.3broncocrazy has a great reputation on FTE.
ever get this problem resolved?
IT'S BETTER TOPLESS(Broads, Broncos, and Booze)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbeast
you people scare me sometimes!!
"...sailors who drank beer escaped the curse of scurvy..."
Old 06-11-2005, 05:05 AM
Elder User

evilbeast is starting off with a positive reputation.
my fathers 97 f-150 with the 4.6 does it too, but his also has a valve tick at high rpm, i am thinkin that part of this is because over a period of time, that the valves will eventually get a little out of adjustment. another thing that you could think about, the valves on every vehicle in the world will tap a little when they are cold, untill the tolerances in the motor change, and close up a little. you just cant hear most of it. another thing, if the vehicle has a roller cam/rockers/lifeters, you will also hear a little more ticking than you normally would when it is cold, i hear a lot of noise in mine untill it is warmed up, but thatis also due to the fact that i have all of the above
Old 06-11-2005, 08:20 AM
Postmaster

3broncocrazy has a great reputation on FTE.3broncocrazy has a great reputation on FTE.3broncocrazy has a great reputation on FTE.3broncocrazy has a great reputation on FTE.3broncocrazy has a great reputation on FTE.
loud 'er exhaust is the key

Quote:
Old 06-12-2005, 09:20 PM
Posting Guru

old87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
scary to me

LED ZEP
Old 06-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Senior User

ryans428 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Do the 4.6's have HLA's, hydraulic lash adjusters. my Mazda has those and when it sits for a while, or needs a oil change it does that for a few seconds, then it stops.
-Ryan
Old 06-14-2005, 05:07 AM
Postmaster

i think luv2ski "runn oft"

Quote:
Old 06-14-2005, 07:02 PM
Elder User

evilbeast is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans428
Do the 4.6's have HLA's, hydraulic lash adjusters. my Mazda has those and when it sits for a while, or needs a oil change it does that for a few seconds, then it stops.
-Ryan

no they dont, they just have regular hydraulic cams, and lifters. no adjustments unless you pull off the valve covers. i cant remember if they have roller rockers, but i dont think they do, if im not mistaken. but one thing that i think is strange about those motors, is that they have 2, yes 2, distributors for when they overheat, they can shut down 4 of the cylinders. but what makes it cool, it is almost exactly like the set up on the top fuel dragsters that run dual magnetos in order to fire that HUGE fuel flow in the cylinders.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:02 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southern Region > Georgia Chapter

Tags
2006, 302, 46, cold, engine, f150, ford, makes, mountaineer, noise, pecking, start, tapping, ticking, tivking