Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Illinois Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Illinois Chapter Join Chapter Leader: KOESTNER

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2003, 06:46 AM
Postmaster

ranger429 has a good reputation on FTE.ranger429 has a good reputation on FTE.ranger429 has a good reputation on FTE.
Bumper height

hey all, i did'nt want to hijack the other thread, i live in Mchenry county about 10 minutes from Hebron, the cop's up here are pretty strict about the bumper heights. i had to take the 38's off my truck and put on 36's to get closer with my bumper's, i am 1"over in front and legal in the back now. i was pulled over in my own town and given warnings! it all depends on which cop you get, some won't even look at ya

_____79 F-250 429 36" Cepeks____79 Bronco 400 35" Cepeks_____
79 wiring schematics
Old 09-13-2003, 10:30 AM
Posting Guru

MrRottnDog is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bumper height

Yeah, That's why I went to all the trouble of

1. Getting the GVWR changed to over 10,000 pounds by someone with a Custom Truck Manufacturer's License... so technically bumper and frame heights don't apply.

2. Getting Illinois 'D' truck plates.

3. Get it inspected every 6 months for safety sticker.

4. Get federal safety sticker every year.

5. Run a blocker bar in the rear.

I've never been pulled over. But all this helps to avoid it. If I do get pulled over it may give me something to fight it with.

I have not looked up the law... but was told that it is actually a misdemeanor for an officer other than a State Trooper to pull you over and take measurements on your truck if you are displaying a current valid Illinois inspection sticker.

Last edited by MrRottnDog; 09-13-2003 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:04 PM
Post Fiend

DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.
Bumper height

I talked to a guy who was pulled over in Hebron.....the cop tried to use the measurements based on the fact that he has a B plate (rated for 8k......but the cop thought 6k). It all goes based on the GVWR set by the mfg, which on his SRW F-350 is 9900#.....as far as I can tell from reading the vehicle code plates have nothing to do with bumper or frame height.......but I have heard of people running D plates and the cops leaving them alone. But, the Hebron cop did tell the guy to run some drop bumpers and that he'd be alright....but they also mentioned that he had no mud flaps and that his 38" PJs on 12" wide wheels stuck out too far.

I still have my doubts about that so called custom truck manufacturer's liscense deal........not that I would ever even think to take my truck there anyway .
Old 09-13-2003, 11:06 PM
Junior User

dgodude is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bumper height

The Illinois vehicle code 625 ILCS 5/12-608 states that any violation of the exceeding the bumper height is a class C misdemeanor, it doesn't matter if its a state trooper or a city officer. Which is almost the same as a traffic violation. "A second conviction under this section is punishable with a fine of not less than $500." (its just another way for the state to make money).
If anyone needs a copy of the lift laws u can email me and I'll fax or mail you a copy.

Roger.

Old 09-14-2003, 07:40 AM
Posting Guru

Bumper height

I'll have to find out what the code number is for the misdemeanor for an officer other than a state trooper taking measurements etc. on a truck with a valid safety sticker. I believe it does exist... although I'm sure it is meant to protect commercial trucks from small town police setting up traps and delaying commercial trucks and of course to make sure money for fines go to the state.

Also it's obvious that the ability to change the GVWR of a truck by a licensed custom truck manufacturer was not meant to enable taller lifted 4x4's. It's intended for those who buy a truck for a specific use and have a custom bed etc. installed by a custom truck manufacturer.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:42 AM
Junior User

dgodude is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bumper height

I'll check my vehicle code book, and see if I can find what you are talking about John. When I get a chance I'll also talk to our truck enforcement officer to see if he can give more info.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:16 PM
Postmaster

ranger429 has a good reputation on FTE.ranger429 has a good reputation on FTE.ranger429 has a good reputation on FTE.
Bumper height

i went and got the violation code book that the cop's use.

5-12-607 says that the frame must not exceed 28 inches on vehicles over 7500lbs GVW and less than 10000 lbs GVW

5-12-608 says 7501 to 9000GVW 28" on the front bumper and 30" on the back bumper is max height

just for all your informational needs

any other Q's just ask i'll look em up

_____79 F-250 429 36" Cepeks____79 Bronco 400 35" Cepeks_____
79 wiring schematics
Old 09-15-2003, 08:15 PM
Senior User

Jigsaw is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bumper height

Are rear bumpers REQUIRED? Mine came from the factory without one! (1966 F100 4x4)
Old 09-15-2003, 10:43 PM
Posting Guru

Bumper height

Quote:
Originally posted by ranger429
i went and got the violation code book that the cop's use.

5-12-607 says that the frame must not exceed 28 inches on vehicles over 7500lbs GVW and less than 10000 lbs GVW

5-12-608 says 7501 to 9000GVW 28" on the front bumper and 30" on the back bumper is max height

just for all your informational needs

any other Q's just ask i'll look em up

Exactly, Thats why I went through the trouble to have my GVWR changed to 10,250. Once again only someone with a custom truck manufacturers license can legally change the GVWR given the truck from the manufacturer.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:15 PM
Post Fiend

DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.
Bumper height

Now from what I have heard the changing of the GVWR is only supposed to be done on an incomplete vehicle. Once the vehicle has been titled that isn't supposed to be done legally.....or so I have been told. And on the door jamb stickers on all our dump trucks it says manufactured by (insert company name here), and the GVWR, and printed towards the bottom of the sticker it states that the manufacturer who completed the vehicle can only give the vehilce a GVWR that is in compliance with what the incomplete vehicle manufacturer (Ford) says.

Also, I was told if you were to legally customize a truck before it was titled that it would still have to perform within the safety parameters that it did stock. So whatever braking distance from 60-0 mph it had stock it would still have to have modified and etc..

Again, all this is just what I have found out looking into the matter and it makes sense to me. I think if changing the GVWR on trucks was truly legally allowed that there would be way more shops getting federally liscenced to do that type of work.

Just my $.02
Old 09-16-2003, 06:15 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Illinois Chapter

Tags
512608, 625, bumber, bumper, f150, f250, factory, height, ilcs, illinois, plate, pulled, safety, standard, sticker, van