1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

98 ranger 4x4 violent shaking and loud clicking noises while coasting or braking at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 06:17 PM
Ryno327
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 ranger 4x4 violent shaking and loud clicking noises while coasting or braking at low speeds

Yesterday my 98 ranger 4x4 started shaking while coasting down my hill (appx 35 mph) and seemed to get worse when I pushed in my clutch pedal. Today I noticed the shaking happens while coasting when I let off the gas or while braking. When coming to a stop or at very low speeds there is a loud clicking noise along with the shaking. This seems to be coming from the middle or rear of the truck (but its hard to tell for sure). I thought I had a bad wheel bearing but I checked and all bearings are great. All brake parts (front and rear) are new and seem fine upon inspection. The shaking and noises are rapidly getting worse. please help! Thanks.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:23 PM
Ryno327
New User
On a side note, my clutch has been recently been replaced but there is occasionally a little more pressure built up when I press in the clutch pedal and it will make a fairly loud clank or bang noise. This noise also occasionally happens when taking off in reverse or taking off on a hill or incline. Any ideas about this would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-18-2017, 08:44 PM
spooktn
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you replace or have the flywheel resurfaced ??? I ask because I am wondering if you have clutch chatter,,,the new clutch not smoothly working with old flywheel will chatter or vibrate,,but not sure if it would shake the whole truck,,,maybe someone else will chime in and tell you more,,,and I would also make sure all the pressure plate bolts are tight,,,I assume you put in new pressure plate also,,,Right ????

Old 03-18-2017, 08:53 PM
Ryno327
New User
Yeah it has a new flywheel and pressure plate. I'm fairly sure the shaking and clicking noises are a new problem (and an urgent problem) separate from the noises my clutch occasionally makes but I could definitely be wrong. I'm not very experienced in most mechanical applications sadly. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it very much.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:56 AM
ArmamentDawg
Senior User
Yeas sounds like something was not assembled correctly aft of the flywheel and has subsequently failed.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:55 AM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would suspect the throwout bearing.

If it was replaced when you replaced the flywheel and pressure plate, maybe it was not clipped in properly. If you end up pulling the transmission to check it or replace it, you should also replace the seal that is behind it since you have it out, and maybe your pilot bearing.

Since you said that you are not experienced, you should at least know the basics of what someone is doing to your vehicle. I am linking a video of the first picture that popped up on youtube. Before I do something that I have not done, I read up, youtube, and ask questions.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:26 AM
ArmamentDawg
Senior User
Great Point!

Old 03-19-2017, 12:20 PM
Ryno327
New User
Thanks for all the replies. I'm bringing my truck to a mechanic this afternoon and hopefully we can use your guys' thoughts and his and find the problem. I'll update as soon as possible. Thanks you all!

Old 03-19-2017, 03:28 PM
Ryno327
New User
Unbelievable! Problem solved

So I took my truck to the mechanic. He basically went through the entire truck and checked everything you guys suggested and many other things he suspected. He checked all wheel bearings, brakes, clutch, u-joints, ect and was baffled. He found nothing wrong with the truck that was severe enough to cause the violent shaking and loud clicking... I took the truck to my shop to park it and was very discouraged. Before parking it for good, I decided, with my limited knowledge, I would look through the truck once more. I twisted the driveline and it had some slop but not a huge amount. I then twisted it again really hard and 'BOOM' it made a giant clunk and I saw it!!! The front of the rear driveline at the transfer case was VERY VERY LOOSE. I Noticed the bottom two bolts were backed out and almost all the way out. I then reached above them to feel the top two bolts and THEY WERE GONE! I tightened the two remaining bolts and robbed one bolt from the other end of the driveline until I could get to the parts store and get two new bolts... I can't believe, after myself and 3 mechanics looked over this truck for two days, that it was this simple and only cost me two bolts to fix the problem. This made my day!!!! .... THANK ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSES, i REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP!!!

Old 03-19-2017, 04:56 PM
spooktn
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great job on finding the missing and lose bolts,,,sometimes something simple can be hard to find,,,glad your up and going again with little dollars spent

Old 03-19-2017, 06:04 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryno327
I'm not very experienced in most mechanical applications sadly.
So you have a different experience than 3 experienced mechanics now. +3 points to you.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:33 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I've never heard of the bolts backing off like that for no reason.

I believe the rear driveshaft has to be removed in order to do the clutch job...? If so, then it's a good bet that that someone didn't tighten the bolts properly when putting things back together.