1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

We need a 99-03 specific classifieds/trade/wanted section!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 10:39 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
We need a 99-03 specific classifieds/trade/wanted section!

If they are free you can post them here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...le-thread.html

If they are for sale you can post them here:

Ford Truck Parts for Sale - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Either way, it is against the FTE guidelines to post ads in this section of the forum.

Good luck with the sale/giveaway.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:43 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,345 Likes on 1,753 Posts
Thanks Sous for playing God, er, I mean Mod. (Is there even a difference? Stewart, what say you? When you look out of your window, do you see Clouds? Or flames? )
If every one broke the rules, or felt that they were above the rules, then we would all be stuck with more rules to reign the rule breakers in.

Like those "how much is my truck worth? I have a pretty good idea what it is worth, but this is not a for sale ad... I'm just letting you know that I'm selling my truck" posts. Really?

I get that 99-03 guys pretty much stick to the 99-03 forum, and I get the fact that the classified section downstairs is a bit crowded with window crank handles from 73-79, fenderettes from the forties, heads for a 351 Cleveland, tweed cloth seats from the 20's, programmers for the 6.0L... just a whole bunch of Ford truck stuff to have to wade through that is entirely irrelevant to our specific diesel engine, chassis, and genre.

So on this note of mods being gods, it could be kind of useful to have one sticky thread on the 99-03 forum of "for sale" parts that are strictly specific to the 99-03. I think other subforums have something similar. Not sure which subforum, or which macro forum, but in one such vehicle specific subforum I recall seeing a sticky for free parts, and a sticky for wanted parts, and a sticky for parts for sale... all that were quite specific to the vehicle years and models covered in that subforum.

I think something like that would make posters feel like their item will get the attention of the audience that is most likely to be interested, so they wouldn't have to come up with clever ways to turn the discussion forums into a market place of listings.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:42 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Y2KW57

I think something like that would make posters feel like their item will get the attention of the audience that is most likely to be interested, so they wouldn't have to come up with clever ways to turn the discussion forums into a market place of listings.
I agree with this 100%.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:30 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I think this would be helpful. I recently checked the for sale section and appreciate how helpful it could be to have the listings specifically for our vehicles grouped together.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:56 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Thanks Sous for playing God, er, I mean Mod. (Is there even a difference? Stewart, what say you? When you look out of your window, do you see Clouds? Or flames? )
If every one broke the rules, or felt that they were above the rules, then we would all be stuck with more rules to reign the rule breakers in.

Like those "how much is my truck worth? I have a pretty good idea what it is worth, but this is not a for sale ad... I'm just letting you know that I'm selling my truck" posts. Really?

I get that 99-03 guys pretty much stick to the 99-03 forum, and I get the fact that the classified section downstairs is a bit crowded with window crank handles from 73-79, fenderettes from the forties, heads for a 351 Cleveland, tweed cloth seats from the 20's, programmers for the 6.0L... just a whole bunch of Ford truck stuff to have to wade through that is entirely irrelevant to our specific diesel engine, chassis, and genre.

So on this note of mods being gods, it could be kind of useful to have one sticky thread on the 99-03 forum of "for sale" parts that are strictly specific to the 99-03. I think other subforums have something similar. Not sure which subforum, or which macro forum, but in one such vehicle specific subforum I recall seeing a sticky for free parts, and a sticky for wanted parts, and a sticky for parts for sale... all that were quite specific to the vehicle years and models covered in that subforum.

I agree. I almost went to FTE jail once because of someone who was a bit overzealous with the "Report" button when I was trying to "Give" away a perfectly good almost new part that was specific to the e99 for this exact reason. I was even willing to pay shipping to help a brother out. I initially PM'ed a few e99 owners that I knew and then created a thread to grab the attention of the remainder because the general for sale is like a searching for a needle in a haystack when the latter is located in a quagmire, especially for a parts for a truck like an oddball e99.

I could have been more specific than, "the price can't get any lower", but whodathunk someone would miss that HINT.

So, let's get behind Y2KW57. What say you Stewart? You assisted me with that one. Can you help us get this done?

Old 03-11-2017, 09:06 AM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I third this motion!

Old 03-11-2017, 11:41 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,345 Likes on 1,753 Posts

The irony of it is, there is already a (closed, announcement only) thread at the top of our subforum that would be a PERFECT location for us to use to communicate the 99-03 diesel parts / trucks / accessories that we have to trade with each other as a symbiotic community.

We see it everyday. And believe it or not, sometimes, I still click on it thinking, "oh, cool, a subforum specific for sale thread, neato"... only to be reminded after I click on it that 1) No, it's just an announcement thread to go downstairs to the catch-all classifieds, and 2) I'm getting more senile, because I forgot that I had already read that the last time I clicked on it.

I can already hear the counter argument "But many parts for the 99-03 Super Duty equally apply to trucks spanning 17 models years, that also includes 5.4L, 6.8L, and 6.2L gas engines, not to mention 6.0L, 6.4L, and 6.7L diesel engines." No ship Sherlock. But it doesn't matter. And here is one reason why that ship doesn't float: the sense of community that develops between regular residents of a particular subforum that builds trust and camaraderie between participants, which figures into the transaction.

Here is a perfect example. Last year, I responded to a so called "Free" ad in a different FTE sub forum that I don't frequently visit, and have never posted in. I contacted the member, and he wanted X amount for shipping, which I estimated to be about twice the actual cost of shipping the item, but no matter, I didn't question it, and paid the full amount of what he asked for right away, using PayPal, which as you know, posts immediately, notifying both the buyer and the seller of the same.

Nevertheless, at least TWO WEEKS went by, and he still hadn't shipped the item yet. He first said he was real busy. Then he gave some other excuse which I forgot. Then he finally admitted that he was waiting for the PayPal payment to full clear into his bank account first, as if to assure himself that PayPal wouldn't be able to recall the money back. I had never heard of this before. No seller in my experience has ever questioned the validity of a PayPal payment when posted as paid. No seller has ever waited for the actual funds to be irrevocably transmitted into their own bank account before shipping an item.

What I finally came to realize is that this member didn't trust me. He didn't know me. He hadn't had the benefit of assessing my personality from a history of my contemporaneous posts. And he probably wanted to make sure that he wouldn't get burned. On the other hand, if I had regularly participated in the sub forum that he frequents, he might have felt differently. I think it took about 4 or 5 weeks to finally receive the item, maybe a month and half...and by then I had lost all enthusiasm to install it. It is still sitting in the box on my porch.

Look, no one is getting rich selling a spare cupholder or a used airbox. Part of the satisfaction of selling unneeded parts is seeing that they are going to a good home, and that they are getting some use. The money isn't as important as helping each other out, since we are all in the same boat, nursing along vehicles past their extinction, where half the parts come up "obsolete" in the Ford catalogs.

A single, ongoing, subforum specific for sale thread would probably benefit folks who are already familiar with and trust each other, enabling like minded members to share the fact that they have parts or trucks available that would be of interest to this specific market of acquaintances in common.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:07 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can't agree more.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:35 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Since the original post was deleted, I was able to change the thread title. Continue on with your thoughts on the discussion.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:15 PM
IDI-Charlie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
I concur on this topic. I have spent many times searching and feeling through the market place to come up on something I'd like to get for my truck, only to find the seller has had it posted repeatedly throughout the past four years, or someone that created an account just to sell the item, leaving me weary of them.

I trust most everybody here, as in some way or another you're almost always talking to them. Plus in reading and regular jovial comments being interchanged, you end up building a trust with them, as was previously stated.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:55 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Since the original post was deleted, I was able to change the thread title. Continue on with your thoughts on the discussion.
Now I'm confused. You didn't start the thread? Who did?

Stewart

Old 03-11-2017, 05:02 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Not putting a k'bosh on the idea, but just as an FYI, "Wanted" posts are always welcome to be posted as a stand alone thread or in the sticky "Free Parts" thread.

One of the main problems with that is most people don't think to include a qualifying statement like, "If you have one, PM me with the details" or something like that, so people inadvertently will post "I have one for $XX.00 amount" which turns it into a selling thread.

Stewart

Old 03-11-2017, 05:02 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H

Stewart
It is a head scratcher for sure...

Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2017, 05:09 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Stewart_H

Stewart
A newer user that was wanting to sell/trade some pro-comp springs created the thread.

Hence the strange "first post" by me now that states the following...

If they are free you can post them here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...le-thread.html

If they are for sale you can post them here:

Ford Truck Parts for Sale - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Either way, it is against the FTE guidelines to post ads in this section of the forum.

Good luck with the sale/giveaway.
I assumed that you (or another mod) deleted the post which bumped my reply to him/her to the top.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:00 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
That answers one question that I had.

Quick Reply: We need a 99-03 specific classifieds/trade/wanted section!