Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 10:04 AM
3000gtman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
return line diagram question

When I was doing my return kit with orings I noticed something
please correct me if this is incorrect I just copied how it was

I have my fuel filter running the line to the middle of the injection pump then the ip feeds each injector. I have the "return line that goes to the check valve on the fuel filter housing coming off the injector below the fuel filter. Thus correct?,

at the end of the bank passenger side the fuel line dips down behind the intake and it's suppose to run to the drivers side injectors correct? Them the top of the injection pump has the return line that goes to the tank?

is that correct? I uploaded a picture from Google as well to clarify this

​​​​​​​if all that is correct then here's how mine is routed. I have the check valve return line going to the injector under the fuel filter. On top of the injection pump a line goes to drivers side injector closes to front of engine. And at the end of the drivers side bank the last injector runs to the fuel tank. Im pretty sure it's a TEE Fitting to connect the passenger side fuel line behind the intake. My question is how should the return line system be ran?

Old 02-02-2017, 10:06 AM
3000gtman
Elder User
Old 02-02-2017, 02:12 PM
3000gtman
Elder User
[QUOTE=3000gtman;16918648] this correct?

Old 02-02-2017, 07:11 PM
eagleye
Freshman User
looks the same as Mine. The red is the drain lines. all those lines connect up and lead the fuel back to the tank. Fuel filter drains overflow fuel pressure past the passenger side injectors. IP passes overflow pressure straight back and drivers side injectors just drain straight back.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:28 PM
3000gtman
Elder User
So the top of the injection pump is suppose to go to the drivers front injector? Pic posted is from my engine.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:54 PM
eagleye
Freshman User
I like that configuration better than the diagram. The fuel pump drains to passenger side and now you have IP overflow flowing to the drivers side injectors. one less line going to the back. The overflow builds a little bit of pressure and flushes the drain from the injectors. That little bit of hydraulic back pressure, i think helps make the injectors function better. It also creates a flushing effect on the injector output. Same technique that washes filter screens clean. The drain pressure I would expect to be very low only a pound or two.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:56 PM
3000gtman
Elder User
Originally Posted by eagleye
I like that configuration better than the diagram. The fuel pump drains to passenger side and now you have IP overflow flowing to the drivers side injectors. one less line going to the back. The overflow builds a little bit of pressure and flushes the drain from the injectors. That little bit of hydraulic back pressure, i think helps make the injectors function better. It also creates a flushing effect on the injector output. Same technique that washes filter screens clean. The drain pressure I would expect to be very low only a pound or two.
​​​​​​​good to know. I just wanted to make sure it was correct. I've been having air intrusion issues and it's getting worse so I'm looking at everything. Now I guess I'll drop the fuel tank haha

Old 02-02-2017, 07:57 PM
3000gtman
Elder User
Also a note my hard lines are everywhere!!! Previous owner did that haha just wanted to make that clear

Old 02-04-2017, 11:48 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The return system has no bearing on the operation of the IP, as long as the backpressure is low to nothing.

Drainback is a problem because the return line from the fuel filter is supposed to have a check valve in it. If it doesn't, due to it having disintegrated over the last 25 years, there is nothing stopping air from allowing fuel in the filter to drain back.
Of course, this only happens if there is also no checkvalve on the supply side. This is why I recommend one(Primer bulbs are awesome for this, and really cheap).

Old 02-05-2017, 07:07 PM
3000gtman
Elder User
I already replaced the check valve and return line with a clear section hose

Old 02-06-2017, 08:55 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow... i would be finding a set of hard lines before they start breaking on you.

Next, your picture is "wrong" the diagram you posted is correct-ish.

The IP return line should be solo, then the two returns tie in at a tee at the rear of the engine. There should be a hardline running under the injector lines, bolted to the intake. Ill try to get a pick off my engine. Running the IP return through the injector caps could be limiting flow from the pump and causing some issues, they are very finnicky. The return line from the fuel filter to the first injector on that bank should be deleted and capped, as any air introduced into the system will allow the fuel filter to drain back to the tank.

Edit: This could very well be part of your problem, the return off the pump is 5/16" wheras the injectors are 1/4". So youre trying to push what is supposed to go through a bigger hole, through a smaller hole, that already has its own fuel to return. You can see the brass tee toward the rear of the engine where each bank of return lines connect.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:04 PM
3000gtman
Elder User
Okay....the top of the injector pump line should run to the tank?

​​​​​​​how my setup is currently fuel filter housing check valve to clear return line going go injector..then at the back of the engine return line goes behind the intake to a TEE which goes to the fuel tank and other bank. Then the first injector has the line going to the very top of the injector pump. This is incorrect? The injector pump fitting on the very top should have a solo line running to the fuel tank for the return?

Old 02-06-2017, 09:08 PM
3000gtman
Elder User
Wow your is so clean...yes I'm aware I need new lines. Some are 5/8 some are a 17mm....previous owner did that. I've already spent many hours and frustration dealing with his "work" I'm just trying to fix what's wrong and keep her running.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:22 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 3000gtman
Wow your is so clean...yes I'm aware I need new lines. Some are 5/8 some are a 17mm....previous owner did that. I've already spent many hours and frustration dealing with his "work" I'm just trying to fix what's wrong and keep her running.
Just letting you know that they will likely break like that, and leave ya walking.

The IP doesnt have to go to the tank directly, you need the hard line that bolts to the intake in my pic. The return line from the filter head to the #2 injector cap, or first cylinder on the right bank (where the fuel filter is) should be capped and deleted, theres a Ford TSB on it.

Should be able to get the hard return line, and the injector lines at a junkyard fairly reasonably. Make sure they have the vibration clamps.

Its only clean because its new and only half together lol

Old 02-06-2017, 09:30 PM
3000gtman
Elder User
I'll do all new lines next. So the top of the injector pump should have steel line running to the intake? Or just bolted to the intake and it Tees into both banks and return line to tank..

​​​​​​​that correct?

Quick Reply: return line diagram question