1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup Camera Guidelines missing

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 05:42 PM
lambodesigns
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Backup Camera Guidelines missing

I picked up a new 2016 F-250 lariat this weekend. I bought it from a dealer a couple hundred miles away and didn't put it in reverse until I was half way home. When I did the camera works but I get no guidelines what so ever. Just the camera with a + symbol in the upper left corner (doesn't seem to do anything but beep when I hit it) and a warning at the top to check my surroundings. I've checked the connector and toggled all the settings but nothing changes.

I've been researching this for a while and get a lot of hits on the active guidelines missing or the camera not working at all but haven't ran across this particular issue. The manual says the guidelines go away when the tailgate is ajar which worries me because the tailgate was stolen off the lot and replaced before I bought the truck. Anyone had this issue come up or know how the signal is generated to say the tailgate is ajar?

BTW... other than this issue I love the truck so far.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:36 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
being a New truck.. go to your local Ford dealer.. warranty is national

Old 12-12-2016, 06:48 PM
lambodesigns
Freshman User
I know... but being a farm boy turned engineer I always see if I can solve it myself first for the sport of it... as long as it doesn't cost me anything that is

Old 12-12-2016, 08:00 PM
blamecanada
New User
You can add the guidelines in the set-up menu.
Its pretty easy!

Check out the manual.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:22 AM
stufarmer
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by blamecanada
You can add the guidelines in the set-up menu.
Its pretty easy!

Check out the manual.
Yep .. Easy Pizzi

Old 12-13-2016, 10:38 AM
lambodesigns
Freshman User
Originally Posted by stufarmer
Yep .. Easy Pizzi
I guess I'm missing it then I can turn on/off the "enhanced" guidelines or the camera delay but I can't find anywhere to turn the basic guidelines on or off. Read the manual and watched the video for my truck and still can't figure it out where that on/off is at. Manual does say if the tailgate is ajar they won't come on but doesn't address what "ajar" means for the tailgate. On the excursion it had a door ajar light stuck on recently and the troubleshooting to fix it was fun trying to figure out which one was the bad sensor.... at least it was the next to last one I had to take apart and not the last one....

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...-settings.html

My screens looks just like the one in the video. Is there another screen I need to find?

Old 12-15-2016, 06:57 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
No backup lines? How do I sign up? I hate those lines.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:39 PM
lambodesigns
Freshman User
Finally got around to taking the truck to the dealer mainly because it developed a drip from the transmission drain plug that I wanted fixed to stop the spots on the driveway.

So I pull into the service bay and the first guy meets me to get the ball rolling. He jumps in the truck and says "I can fix the camera problem pretty quick" and proceeds to go through all the camera menus and turns everything on and off that myself and others have done. He gets the same perplexed look that everyone that has said it should be easy gets and says "gee... I guess we will need to look at it more to figure out what is wrong". From there we go in where he hands me over to the service manager who looks at the sheet and then starts grilling the guy about "can't you just turn them on?". He then repeats the same story I've told.... no you can't just turn them on.

So fast forward 2 hours and the service manager comes out to get me and says that they found a broken wire that had to be repaired. He wasn't sure where the wire broke but we both figure that it was when they stole the tailgate and yanked the connector off. They said there were several that had been stolen at that time so you have to figure the thief was in a hurry.

Anyway, just wanted to follow up because some people don't like the lines so wanted to let you know that if you don't have the option to turn them off like some vehicles seem to have there is a way to clip one wire and make them go away on some trucks. Don't know which line it is but I'm betting with a little investigation it can be figured out. Personally, I like the lines.

Old 05-09-2021, 06:05 PM
jsukey
Tuned
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Just curious if you ever figured out what your issue is/was. I put my truck in the shop last week for a coolant flush, oil leak, and to have the camera checked out. It had been acting erratic by not coming on at times. I figured the issue was with the wiring harness by the ebrake. He says they replaced the camera, but I noticed last night that my grid lines were no longer there. I went into the radio settings and toggled the grid lines as well as the delay but still have the same issue. I have my original tailgate and it was closed at the time.

Old 05-09-2021, 06:54 PM
lambodesigns
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jsukey
Just curious if you ever figured out what your issue is/was. I put my truck in the shop last week for a coolant flush, oil leak, and to have the camera checked out. It had been acting erratic by not coming on at times. I figured the issue was with the wiring harness by the ebrake. He says they replaced the camera, but I noticed last night that my grid lines were no longer there. I went into the radio settings and toggled the grid lines as well as the delay but still have the same issue. I have my original tailgate and it was closed at the time.
Broken wire in the harness. Not sure if it was on the truck side or in the tailgate. Since the repair it was worked like it should with no issues.

The following users liked this post: