Tailgate Stolen - Questions - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Tailgate Stolen - Questions

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 07-13-2018, 09:59 AM
birddogn_tc
birddogn_tc is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 11
birddogn_tc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tailgate Stolen - Questions

Hello all,

I have a 2017 250 Platinum. Yesterday my tailgate and tail lights were stolen. A major pain the ***. The truck was locked and backed up against a wall. Pretty impressive thievery. Anyway, I have a couple questions...

My insurance should cover this, but do I need to go to a Ford Dealer to get it replaced? My insurance offered several body shops (Caliber Collision, Service King, etc). But I am curious if that is ok or if I need to go to a dealer? For some reason I feel more comfortable going to a dealer. I called Caliber to set up getting a quote and they were pretty adamant that I get the vehicle towed to them (vs driving there) because my tail lights are gone. The Caliber Collision location is literally like two blocks away from my office so getting it towed seems a bit ridiculous. Is this because they want to guarantee they get the work because it is towed there and I can't move it (I would have to get a rental, which my insurance also covers)? So is all of that normal? They said getting it towed "...gives us more options and is better for you."

Secondly, I have never loved the Platinum tailgate due to the silver plate. Would I be crazy to replace with a just a Lariat Ultimate tailgate? Does that make it less valuable in the future?
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-13-2018, 11:02 AM
Msmith1968
Msmith1968 is offline
Freshman User
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 37
Msmith1968 is starting off with a positive reputation.
One thing that body shops, service shops, and insurance companies tend to forget....this is your vehicle, you dictate the terms as to what happens to it not them. I’m having this very same situation with a Ford dealer that is not completing warranty work to my satisfaction. I told the service writer that I will be in this morning to pickup MY truck. He is trying to hold it hostage saying “we are waiting on an answer from Ford about the repairs”. Simply put I told him I did not care what he was “waiting” for. I told him I would be there this morning and to have it ready to go. Long story short, after some argument, I reminded him who the titled owner is.

Keep this in mind as you navigate your claim. If you want to drive your truck to them with no tail lights that’s your right. It’s your truck. You also have the option to choose whomever you want to repair your truck. And just because you are contemplating going to an “lariat” tailgate does not mean that they get to pay you less for the cheaper option. They owe you a platinum tailgate and that’s what they need to compensate you for.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-13-2018, 11:10 AM
birddogn_tc
birddogn_tc is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 11
birddogn_tc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Msmith1968 View Post
One thing that body shops, service shops, and insurance companies tend to forget....this is your vehicle, you dictate the terms as to what happens to it not them. I’m having this very same situation with a Ford dealer that is not completing warranty work to my satisfaction. I told the service writer that I will be in this morning to pickup MY truck. He is trying to hold it hostage saying “we are waiting on an answer from Ford about the repairs”. Simply put I told him I did not care what he was “waiting” for. I told him I would be there this morning and to have it ready to go. Long story short, after some argument, I reminded him who the titled owner is.

Keep this in mind as you navigate your claim. If you want to drive your truck to them with no tail lights that’s your right. It’s your truck. You also have the option to choose whomever you want to repair your truck. And just because you are contemplating going to an “lariat” tailgate does not mean that they get to pay you less for the cheaper option. They owe you a platinum tailgate and that’s what they need to compensate you for.
Thanks for the reply. In regards to the potential changing to a Lariat tailgate, I am certainly aware that I need to be compensated for a Platinum tailgate. This was more of a general question for forum members... As in, if I sold the truck, would a potential buyer be mad that they didn't have a Platinum tailgate?
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-13-2018, 11:36 AM
SC_Mike
SC_Mike is offline
Freshman User
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: San Clemente
Posts: 40
SC_Mike is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by birddogn_tc View Post
Secondly, I have never loved the Platinum tailgate due to the silver plate. Would I be crazy to replace with a just a Lariat Ultimate tailgate? Does that make it less valuable in the future?
If I were you I’d keep the platinum tailgate, but I’d negotiate with the body shop to paint the silver plate as part of the repair. Let them know you have a few shops to take it to, and will give the work to the shop that will accommodate the request.
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-13-2018, 11:55 AM
wrvond's Avatar
wrvond
wrvond is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 1,988
wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by birddogn_tc View Post
Thanks for the reply. In regards to the potential changing to a Lariat tailgate, I am certainly aware that I need to be compensated for a Platinum tailgate. This was more of a general question for forum members... As in, if I sold the truck, would a potential buyer be mad that they didn't have a Platinum tailgate?
Predicting the personal tastes of somebody you haven't even met is pretty much impossible. All you can do is please yourself for now. No reason to put up with something you don't like because somebody in the distant future may or may not have a problem with it. If a potential buyer doesn't like it, they are free to move on to the next used truck that may have changes they won't like.
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-13-2018, 12:27 PM
Poncho450's Avatar
Poncho450
Poncho450 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The 1980's
Posts: 1,633
Poncho450 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Poncho450 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Not to give you a hard time, but something like the following may be in order after you get your new gate. I've had one for about a year and a half after my area had a rash of tailgate thefts. Fortunately I was not one of the victims.

​​​​​​
Amazon Amazon
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-13-2018, 12:32 PM
jergle
jergle is offline
Junior User
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 97
jergle is starting off with a positive reputation.
Agree with above. Also, if you want to have the work done at a Ford dealer, then it is certainly your right to have it done at a Ford dealer. You just have to make sure they can do the work for what the insurance company is willing to pay. As far as the towing, I'm not surprised they told you to have it towed since driving without tail lights would be technically illegal. No way they would every tell you to do something illegal.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-13-2018, 12:36 PM
birddogn_tc
birddogn_tc is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 11
birddogn_tc is starting off with a positive reputation.
So...just got my quote from Service King. They said my tailgate is $700. Am I crazy??? Everyone has told me these tailgates are $3000+ ??
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-13-2018, 12:41 PM
Msmith1968
Msmith1968 is offline
Freshman User
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 37
Msmith1968 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The insurance company owes a repair/replacement. Not an hourly rate. They can claim that they will only pay their “preferred shop” rates, however, the insured is entitled to and they can’t deny a claim simply because the rate is higher at a preferred shop. I just won and “denial of coverage/payment” lawsuit against USAA for this very thing. They ended up paying me 2x the value of my claim plus court costs and attorneys fees. The hourly rate difference was $5.00 per hour. Not very smart in their part.
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-13-2018, 12:44 PM
Tricon's Avatar
Tricon
Tricon is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,398
Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.
It would take maybe 20 minutes to install the taillights and tailgate. Why not have the insurance company give you money and you can order whatever you want tailgate wise and just throw it on in your driveway?

Some will be turned off that it doesn't have the Platinum tailgate, there are plenty of people out there that only buy the Platinum because it has Platinum plastered everywhere. But who cares, do it up how you like it, you can always add the applique later with some 3M tape if it's really an issue when selling.
 
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-13-2018, 01:11 PM
jergle
jergle is offline
Junior User
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 97
jergle is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tailgate will probably need to be painted to match. I doubt you can order them pre-painted.
 
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-13-2018, 01:20 PM
Poncho450's Avatar
Poncho450
Poncho450 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The 1980's
Posts: 1,633
Poncho450 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Poncho450 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by birddogn_tc View Post
So...just got my quote from Service King. They said my tailgate is $700. Am I crazy??? Everyone has told me these tailgates are $3000+ ??
That smells of an aftermarket knockoff to me, if there is such a thing for these trucks. Hold your insurance company's feet to the fire.
 
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-13-2018, 01:25 PM
Tricon's Avatar
Tricon
Tricon is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,398
Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.Tricon has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by jergle View Post
Tailgate will probably need to be painted to match. I doubt you can order them pre-painted.
There's hundreds of tailgates out there from outfitters taking beds off at 0 miles and putting flat beds on, etc.

Save quite a bit of money in the process I would think.
 
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-13-2018, 01:32 PM
birddogn_tc
birddogn_tc is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 11
birddogn_tc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Poncho450 View Post
That smells of an aftermarket knockoff to me, if there is such a thing for these trucks. Hold your insurance company's feet to the fire.
That's what I felt but my insurance replaces with OEM parts.
 
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-13-2018, 01:32 PM
Blwnsmoke
Blwnsmoke is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,008
Blwnsmoke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Blwnsmoke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by birddogn_tc View Post
So...just got my quote from Service King. They said my tailgate is $700. Am I crazy??? Everyone has told me these tailgates are $3000+ ??
Tailgate with applique retails for $771. Then if you have the tailgate step, the assembly retails for $687. Then you have to have it painted. Retail wise you would around $2,000 for both.

part 1 and 15

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/auto-parts/2017/ford/f-350-super-duty/platinum-trim/6-7l-v8-diesel-engine/body-cat/tail-gate-scat
 
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tailgate Stolen - Questions


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.