1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Slow starter issues and weird charging making you cranky?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 10:08 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
Post Slow starter issues and weird charging making you cranky?

Over the years I have battled slow starter issues on various machines. Most of the time it isn't the battery or starter. Once my F350 started to act up, this is what I did to cure it.

If alt is putting out 14 volts on the back of it with GPR engaged and RPM at 1500 you can assume the Alt is good.

Corrosion will create resistance, that resistance will block current flow and drop voltage to your starter thus turning it slower. The effect of corrosion on charging systems will be boiling your batteries and or not charging them up fully.

Lead corrosion is invisible, you have to scrape it clean with a blade type post cleaner like this one even on a new battery.

if you use them brush type post cleaners, you have to use them for like 20 turns back n forth in different positions like numbers on a clock, not just in one direction.

remove NEG side of batteries ( leave off until last part is done) and clean terminals inside and out and follow cable to block and remove/clean those connections until shiny too.

remove POS side of batteries and clean both inside and out of terminals and also remove POS from starter and clean up until shiny with wire brush and re assemble

On alt, remove large POS wire and inspect for burns/breaks and replace if needed. Clean both ends until shiny with wire brush and on both end of terminals and re assemble.

Remove starter and clean housing to block face and bolt heads surfaces to be shiny with wire brush.

Put on NEG cables after all POS are put back on.

If your starter and batteries are good, the starter should now see full power and crank fast like it used to.

After cranking and its slow still, check for hot as in temp on the connections you cleaned. Heat will tell you where the issue is. Cable and connections should be similar in temp with no hot spots.

If battery voltage drops below 10v when cranking even after fully charged, you could have a bad battery. Most truck battery places will load test them but not those car parts places can test at 900 amps load.

removing the alt wire should not make volts go up unless a short is inside of it but lets test battery too while here to rule it out
Remove bat negs for safety
remove all wires on alt and tape that big cable up so it wont short
put on negs

start charging batteries up
remove charger when full
wait 30 min
remove one battery ground and measure volts on both batteries
if not the same volts, your batteries are fighting and need new ones
if the same, then alt diode might have a short
remove both negs for safety
connect alt big cable
put on negs

wait 15-30 min and check temp of alt, if warm, its a bad diode inside

another test to run

Then charge both batteries up full.
run GPs for 2 min and remove Battery grounds
check voltage on both batteries
if not the same then the stronger one will charge the weaker one over night and you wont have much reserve power left

Good read on how to check voltage at rest to find state of charge
Measuring State-of-charge - Battery University

If you bought a new battery and using an old one too. The old one will pull down the new one. Always replace batteries as a set.

Upgrades:

I purchased this on Amazon as an upgrade as the original POS cable is only 1/0 on drivers side. this is 2/0 on both sides. bigger cable means more current and less voltage drop.

Deka 2/0 Gauge Ford Diesel Truck Dual Battery Harness / Cable 04357

If you want a better starter, get an SD 2003 one that is gear reduction, higher torque and speed than the 2002 and previous.

or

I bought a TYC one new from rock auto for under 120 shipped. Thread that convinced me https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...c-starter.html

hopefully this will make you less cranky

Old 11-24-2016, 08:29 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
That is great advice!!! Great thread!

Old 12-23-2016, 01:13 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,347 Likes on 1,754 Posts
The 1999-2002 OEM starters are gear reduction also. The gear reduction assembly is inline with the starter motor, rather than offset from the starter motor.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:47 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool.
thanks

Old 12-27-2016, 01:11 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I will add that whenever I do any work that involves the battery terminals I fastidiously reapply Permitex Battery Protector & sealer; Higt Tack spray works great too. I've never had an issue with terminals..

Old 12-27-2016, 08:10 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Don't forget to do the "Big 3" if your running a sound system, AUX lights, Winch etc. Might not be related but keeps the electronics happy.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:20 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cables are always a good idea..

Old 12-29-2016, 07:39 AM
Frank250Tank
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great thread. MY old IDI had slow cranking issues even after a new starter. I replaced the positive and negative cables and cleaned the crap out of the terminals and block mating surface and it fixed it right up

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-09-2017, 12:26 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
1995-1997 Ford F-250 F-350 7.3L V8 Diesel Positive Battery Cable OEM F5TZ14300B | eBay

1995-1997 Ford F-250 F-350 7.3L V8 Diesel Positive Battery Cable OEM F5TZ14300B

Is what I ended up getting for a Pos cable.

Old 01-25-2023, 08:24 PM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by knottyrope
Over the years I have battled slow starter issues on various machines. Most of the time it isn't the battery or starter. Once my F350 started to act up, this is what I did to cure it.

If alt is putting out 14 volts on the back of it with GPR engaged and RPM at 1500 you can assume the Alt is good.

Corrosion will create resistance, that resistance will block current flow and drop voltage to your starter thus turning it slower. The effect of corrosion on charging systems will be boiling your batteries and or not charging them up fully.

Lead corrosion is invisible, you have to scrape it clean with a blade type post cleaner like this one even on a new battery.

if you use them brush type post cleaners, you have to use them for like 20 turns back n forth in different positions like numbers on a clock, not just in one direction.

remove NEG side of batteries ( leave off until last part is done) and clean terminals inside and out and follow cable to block and remove/clean those connections until shiny too.

remove POS side of batteries and clean both inside and out of terminals and also remove POS from starter and clean up until shiny with wire brush and re assemble

On alt, remove large POS wire and inspect for burns/breaks and replace if needed. Clean both ends until shiny with wire brush and on both end of terminals and re assemble.

Remove starter and clean housing to block face and bolt heads surfaces to be shiny with wire brush.

Put on NEG cables after all POS are put back on.

If your starter and batteries are good, the starter should now see full power and crank fast like it used to.

After cranking and its slow still, check for hot as in temp on the connections you cleaned. Heat will tell you where the issue is. Cable and connections should be similar in temp with no hot spots.

If battery voltage drops below 10v when cranking even after fully charged, you could have a bad battery. Most truck battery places will load test them but not those car parts places can test at 900 amps load.

removing the alt wire should not make volts go up unless a short is inside of it but lets test battery too while here to rule it out
Remove bat negs for safety
remove all wires on alt and tape that big cable up so it wont short
put on negs

start charging batteries up
remove charger when full
wait 30 min
remove one battery ground and measure volts on both batteries
if not the same volts, your batteries are fighting and need new ones
if the same, then alt diode might have a short
remove both negs for safety
connect alt big cable
put on negs

wait 15-30 min and check temp of alt, if warm, its a bad diode inside

Good read on how to check voltage at rest to find state of charge
Measuring State-of-charge - Battery University

If you bought a new battery and using an old one too. The old one will pull down the new one. Always replace batteries as a set.

Upgrades:

I purchased this on Amazon as an upgrade as the original POS cable is only 1/0 on drivers side. this is 2/0 on both sides. bigger cable means more current and less voltage drop.

Deka 2/0 Gauge Ford Diesel Truck Dual Battery Harness / Cable 04357

If you want a better starter, get an SD 2003 one that is gear reduction, higher torque and speed than the 2002 and previous.

or

I bought a TYC one new from rock auto for under 120 shipped. Thread that convinced me https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...c-starter.html

hopefully this will make you less cranky
There is some great info in here that I fully agree with! I have been a HD truck and equipment mechanic for almost 40 years and you make some great points. I will go thru my normal troubleshooting procedures (which inlude a lot of your suggestions) and go from there. Havent really had time to do it at this point. Thanks to everyone who has tried to help out.

Old 01-26-2023, 09:07 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
glad this post has helped out a few

I come from school of hard knocks and learned a lot of tricks over the years to get my machine running

shop only sees me for tires and alignments for last 30+ years

The following 3 users liked this post by knottyrope:
Old 01-26-2023, 06:51 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,172 Likes on 953 Posts
Thumbs up

This needs to be a sticky or popped to the top every fall.

Old 01-27-2023, 07:19 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,700 Likes on 1,137 Posts
several years back my brother in law called me, his excursion wouldn't start, towed to a diesel shop, they couldn't get it running. towed home. towed to another diesel shop "specialized in powerstrokes" they couldn't get it running. he buys me airline ticket to Houston, picks me up at the airport we have some beers on the way back to his house put a battery charger on it, grill some good food that night with a cigar and some sipping whiskey afterwords. the next morning I get up go out to the garage remove the battery terminals and see the "porcelain" like corrosion on the terminals, scrape it clean on all 4 terminals. ( one of the shops had installed new batteries) and start the excursion. My sister walks out and is like WTF!

The following 4 users liked this post by helifixer:
Old 09-11-2023, 05:58 PM
White95PSD
Mountain Pass
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Great info. I replaced many of the mentioned components and noticed a huge difference when I put new batteries and upgraded lugs. I do want to upgrade my battery cables and the frame rail grounds. I read that the good grounding is important in many operations like the tranny, etc

The following 2 users liked this post by White95PSD:
Old 11-26-2023, 07:42 PM
bibe*
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by White95PSD
Great info. I replaced many of the mentioned components and noticed a huge difference when I put new batteries and upgraded lugs. I do want to upgrade my battery cables and the frame rail grounds. I read that the good grounding is important in many operations like the tranny, etc
Check the positive cable. On the passenger side terminal the lead corroded around the copper cable. I bought a solder on lug. No more voltage drop.