6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Leaking injectors despite new seals

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 12:50 AM
ufdemt15
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking injectors despite new seals

I have replaced all the injector seals as well as the ball cup seals but when I crank the truck over after a few cranks I see oil bubbling up from the top of all the injectors. When looking at the injectors from the "top" side all looks well but when I use an inspection cam from down below I can see this happening. Any thoughts?

Old 11-21-2016, 06:36 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you use the seals from HHC?
What did you use for torque on the nipple cups?

Old 11-21-2016, 08:52 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
For ALL of them to leak at the top injector o-ring you either nicked them all on install of the oil rail or the orings are the wrong size.
Did you use a kit? Where did you get the orings?

Old 11-21-2016, 09:07 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try to fire it. Is not far fetched to leak at first,, then seal up once it's pressurized with oil.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:55 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by run6.0run
Try to fire it. Is not far fetched to leak at first,, then seal up once it's pressurized with oil.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What Anthony said. Had the same thing with the 03 after rails were off, scratched my head and cussed after an air test, until a phone call with Sean, told me it's likely not pressurized good after HPOP and rails were off.

Same thing holds true for late build HPOP shaft seal, it's likely gonna leak until it gets enough pressure to seal off, in fact I think the Ford STC kit might have had a note in the bag of parts on the one I did earlier this fall.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:43 PM
ufdemt15
New User
Originally Posted by ufdemt15
I have replaced all the injector seals as well as the ball cup seals but when I crank the truck over after a few cranks I see oil bubbling up from the top of all the injectors. When looking at the injectors from the "top" side all looks well but when I use an inspection cam from down below I can see this happening. Any thoughts?

I used Alliant or Bostech seals that I got from Xtreme Diesel products. The ball cups were torqued to 100 ftlb per the instructions and the oil comes up from the injector not down from the oil rail. I was only going to replace the injector seals but when they leaked still I moved onto the ball cup seals as a possible fix. I'm not sure how I would have nicked any of them let alone all of them as I was extremely careful in replacing all the parts and with the install of the seals. Without removing them, from what I can see, the injector seals look fine.

This makes me wonder if it's not what the last 2 suggestions said where it just may need to run so it can seal but I don't want to put everything together just to find out different.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:54 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I used Alliant or Bostech seals that I got from Xtreme Diesel products. The ball cups were torqued to 100 ftlb per the instructions and the oil comes up from the injector not down from the oil rail. I was only going to replace the injector seals but when they leaked still I moved onto the ball cup seals as a possible fix. I'm not sure how I would have nicked any of them let alone all of them as I was extremely careful in replacing all the parts and with the install of the seals. Without removing them, from what I can see, the injector seals look fine.

This makes me wonder if it's not what the last 2 suggestions said where it just may need to run so it can seal but I don't want to put everything together just to find out different.
Sounds familiar, my scenario was exactly as you describe it. I am no stranger to wrenches but at the time was new to the 6.0, and didn't want to put it all back together unless 100% sure she would fire.

I say button things up and do the standard air purging. Leave the key off, and cycle the starter with the starter wire on the firewall passenger side, do two or three 20 second cranking cycles with a few minutes to cool the starter off in between.

Don't use the key to cycle it, your FICM will thank you in the event the batteries start going down.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:23 PM
packagerjr
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Gasket man at work told me that o-rings are zero seating stress, pressure-energized seals. They need a dP to squish them into their axial and radial sealing positions.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:54 PM
ROBBINthaHOOD
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We get people and shops call us all the time saying they have a leak after install. They either A: see oil coming from the tops of the injectors (which is normal) or B: they immediately put air to it to retest right after install. Everyone is correct, the seals do require adequate pressure to fully seat them. We recommend driving about 20 miles which also helps purge the system of air. Simply idling does not produce enough pressure to do the job. This is for our seals at HHC DIESEL but the install is the same. Good luck and let us know what you found out.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:51 AM
ufdemt15
New User
Originally Posted by ROBBINthaHOOD
We get people and shops call us all the time saying they have a leak after install. They either A: see oil coming from the tops of the injectors (which is normal) or B: they immediately put air to it to retest right after install. Everyone is correct, the seals do require adequate pressure to fully seat them. We recommend driving about 20 miles which also helps purge the system of air. Simply idling does not produce enough pressure to do the job. This is for our seals at HHC DIESEL but the install is the same. Good luck and let us know what you found out.
thank you everybody for the feedback! I am digging in now to do preventative maintenance on the oil rail ball cups seals and we'll see how it goes. If I don't reply to them everything went well and that was my problem.