1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F8 Restoration Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 04:05 PM
VetMedJWC
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F8 Restoration Ideas?

This Spring, I bought a 1948 F8 firetruck. Body has not been touched since the day it was built and is in really good shape. No rust, couple of bungs in a fender, but outside of that, is really clean. It doesn't have the original flathead V8 that would have come in it from the factory, but instead some kind of Y-block (I haven't investigated much to find exactly which one) with original non-synchronized transmission. Plans for the truck include first removing the fire bed and large, obnoxious emergency lights. At this point, I want to use the truck to be able to haul our gooseneck flatbed to go to tractor shows, etc.

I'm posting to the forum to try and get some ideas/suggestions from you guys. We are pretty limited by the engine compartment with regard to how big of a motor will fit. The 7.3 IDI is the biggest that will fit, but it's not a powerhouse. I've considered finding a cheap Louisville or International bus and using the drivetrain and axles out of something like that, but obviously will have to make modifications.

I want to do this resto right the first time! There's not much to be found anywhere about F8's. I've been running ideas through my head for a long time but want to see what suggestions you guys have.

Thanks!

Old 08-25-2016, 07:34 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
I think if you seriously want to use it to haul a heavy load (trailer with tractor), doing a complete frame swap is your best plan. Lots of potential issues but it would be a lot safer once done.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:20 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
A friend of mine has this stock semi he uses to haul his tractors. He says it does the job but can't compete with modern trucks. He has the original flat head which he says is worn and could use a rebuild.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:31 AM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I think you're limiting yourself on engine choices. If you move up a notch there are more choices with more power: 3208 Cat, 6V-53T Detroit, 6-71T Detroit, 555 Cummins, etc.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:31 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
I should think this will be "it all depends" like what weight trailer, what weight
tractor and mostly how deep ya pockets are. Willing to bet they replaced the
engine with a 302 or 332 Yblock that came out in 1956 Big Job trucks. We do
conversions like that, recently some kind of Turbo Powerstroke in a 1949 Big Job.
I know nothing about these new diesels, but its a total nightmare, the thing has a
million wires computors and all that foolishness. One misplaced wire or sensor
and your dead. I personally don't like it then being a shaken rattle can. All my
other F8's have 391FT with 5 OD. Quiet & smooth. For years I pulled a TD15 dozer
thats no toy, a 750 Ford backhoe also no toy on a 20 ton Eager Beaver. No problem,
but all my trucks have air brakes too. I find that the 391 a little smaller and lighter
than the 337 and the powerstroke about the same weight and dimension as the 337.
Just trying to steer you, cause we have been there maybe easy, but the small things
like fuel exhaust cooling make you want to rob a bank. As now the biggest problem or headache is instrument panel we dont want to cut up a perfect dash we want
to somehow use origional cluster housing cause the motor won't run without its own
gauges so those are just zipp tied for now.

Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2016, 04:34 PM
VetMedJWC
New User
Thanks for posting the picture, Bob. That was the first truck I found on the internet while brainstorming. Certainly one to be admired and a well-documented history.

Big Job, what do you think about the 351 in this application? I know it will fit without much modification and those engines are a lot easier to come by compared to a 391. The appeal of the HP of a diesel is the only thing that has me interested, but if I really wanted to get serious about hauling with it, I would be better off not getting carried away and put the money toward upgrading one of our existing trucks.

Did your trucks come from the factory with air brakes or have you since upgraded? I'd like to upgrade from the drums, but don't necessarily want to go to the trouble of installing air. The possibility exists, however, to slide some different axles under it with air.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:08 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Tough question, nothing wrong with a 351 But now we will have a bell housing problem
for your 5 speed, so you will stuck with a light duty 4 speed or light 5 sp OD. then
you still have to mess with the driveshaft. Back then many of these were repowered
by a 352 or 390 from a car; dime a dozen back then. I may be the first or only one
who stuffed a 430 Lincoln in a F8. Now you got power but 4mpg & who cared. And
then I have a F8 with the 337 I wouldn't change a thing. Looking back when the
big jobs came out, they were affordable with one you became a top dog at a time
all there were was little Dodges Studebaker's Little Chev F6 Ford dump trucks and
you get loaded at the pit with 10yds gravel even get the attention from Mack guys.
So they were worked and overloaded to death. Not to many survived except fire
trucks who slept in a warm bed but some suffered from pumping hours..So in ending
keep it simple and short. For air brakes Super Dutys from the sixties backing plates
will bolt right on if you can find one in junk yard. Yes all mine were ordered with
full air and have two with power steering. The first truck has the 430 Linc.eng in pic
sam Old photo early 1970's

Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2016, 11:25 AM
VetMedJWC
New User
BigJob, I'm curious to know what turbo powerstroke you went with for your 1949 Big Job and how you made it fit. From the measurements I've made of my '48 F8, a 7.3 powerstroke would be too long to fit between the firewall and radiator, and is a tight squeeze width-wise at the front of the engine compartment. How have you managed to fit that motor in the engine compartment? I can get my hands on a 7.3 L diesel and trans pretty easily and for a good price, but I don't want to spend the money and time just to figure out that it won't fit. I'd appreciate your thoughts!

Thanks

Old 10-02-2016, 11:15 PM
Oldb
Tuned
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
I think Big Job has a good handle on this one. Sometimes cities and counties keep a mid range truck for a long time before they surplus it. If you go to publicsurplus.com and start searching for F750's you might find one with a 391 like Big Job was talking about. Lots of school buses as well.
Sounds like a fun project.

B

Old 10-03-2016, 06:38 AM
axehandle58
Freshman User
Interesting thread. Since it's in place & everything fits & connected why not stay with the drive train as is? Furthermore, a non-syncro transmission is not difficult once you get used to it; I've driven many thousand miles in trucks w/the smaller sliding gear trans.