Aerostar Ford Aerostar

1993 Aerostar lacks power/sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 01:49 PM
JTHill24
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xlt4wd90
I've seen stuck injectors as well. In that case, they were in a car that had sat for over a year without being run. I'm guessing the pintles got stuck from sitting for so long with gas that dried up around it. I was able to resurrect 7 of them by soaking them in Seafoam Deep Creep and actuating them with a 12V battery. The last one just would not open up again.
Mine hadn't been sitting long 2-2 1\2 wks.
Bought me one of these. Works great for when cleaning & Checking the injectors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121625987442?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Old 09-16-2016, 09:42 AM
Krapfl
Freshman User
I really appreciate all your posts! Just to update you, this is an ongoing project and the problem still hasn't been resolved. Unfortunately, I don't have a fuel pressure tester and I live far from an AutoZone, so might need to buy one online unless there's another way to test fuel pressure without the tool. I did replace the fuel filter but that didn't fix the problem. Also, I traced around the vacuum lines for leaks and did discover some lines that seemed loose, however, snugging them up didn't fix the problem....and actually I discovered that if I temporarily removed a line here or there, it doesn't seem to affect the idle that much (which might only be a testament to how bad its idling more than anything).

I think my next steps will be to find a way to test the fuel pressure, and maybe trace the vacuum lines again...I saw online that can be done with brake cleaner or an unlit propane torch? Also, I will try the suggestion to clean the mass air flow sensor, and try to test the injectors. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if it was spark plugs...how hard are they to replace on the Aerostar? They look hard to get to.

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2016, 09:45 AM
Krapfl
Freshman User
Also, I did isolate the brake booster and that didn't seem to make a difference. I'll try the remaining suggestions from Mikeman as well.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:57 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
You can also use something like Gumout spray to locate vacuum leaks. Spray it around hose ends and gaskets to see if the idle changes.

The v6 engines have those intake plenums that hide a lot of vacuum hoses, so you may not be able to get to all of them without removing a bunch of stuff around it. But then, you may not be able to run the engine with those parts removed.

Things I've found:

The PCV valve fitting on mine was plastic, and it cracked, leaving a big leak, so the engine wouldn't run at all.

Some plastic hoses route under the plenum, they crack, and cause the engine to stumble or run fast at random times.

The EVAP canister purge line goes under the plenum, got disconnected some how, and the leaking fuel vapors got into the cockpit, making passengers sick. This may not cause problems for the running engine.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:51 AM
JTHill24
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Krapfl
I really appreciate all your posts! Just to update you, this is an ongoing project and the problem still hasn't been resolved. Unfortunately, I don't have a fuel pressure tester and I live far from an AutoZone, so might need to buy one online unless there's another way to test fuel pressure without the tool.
Thanks!
$20.00.........

Fuel Injection Pump Tester

Old 09-30-2016, 06:45 PM
Krapfl
Freshman User
Hi Everyone,

I really appreciate your posts! I finally got the van running good again....the fix was just cleaning the mass air flow sensor. I sprayed it with some carb cleaner and it was an instant fix.

It's possible I had a vacuum leak as well, that may have gotten fixed while looking for it, but the van was running too poorly from the mass air flow sensor to tell. I did find a couple hoses that may have been loose and pushed them back on. Anyhow, the van is running better than ever and the check engine light hasn't turned on since.

Cheers!

Old 10-09-2016, 03:49 PM
62unibody
New User
when i bought my last one it had the same symptons. it turned out to be a worn distributor. rotated fine but would wiggle when u grabed the rotor and pulled and pushed on it. that solved my problem and when i sold parts i sold alot of 3.0 distributors and cam sensors for 3.0 tarus and sables