Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Interesting article on the IDI's. Got some questions for you guys.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 01:51 PM
Resendiz
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
on the electric fuel pump: most people put the mr gasket or similar E-pump on and then badmouth the e-pump conversion when the cheap pump dies.

the problem is the use of a cheap pump.
if doing an electric fuel pump conversion on a diesel, you need a pump designed for extended diesel use, like the facet dura-lift pump designed for use in refrigerated trailers.
i have a dura-lift 40285 on my 88 for the past 300,000 miles.
if it ever dies i will replace it with the 40222 pump, because this one has a 9-11 psi rating instead of the 4-7 psi of the 40385
My mechanic still hast gotten to my truck. Busy with big rigs. I have been thinking of going over and replacing the pump myself (with a good pump).

My question is, Since I havent done this before. If I do buy that 40222 pump, do i literally just remove the mr gasket pump and connect this one? Or is it more complicated than that? Are the hose fittings the same?

Old 08-20-2016, 01:55 PM
Resendiz
Laughing Gas
Both of these showed up under the search duralift 40222. Which is the right one?

https://www.amazon.com/PACKARD-CONNE...ura-lift+40222

https://www.amazon.com/DIESEL-DURA-L...ura-lift+40222

Old 08-20-2016, 02:34 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
the second one, sold by atlantic marine.
aircraftspruce: FACET DURA-LIFT FUEL PUMPS from Aircraft Spruce has the same pump for $92.75. only thing i don't know is if they charge sales tax

Old 08-20-2016, 04:02 PM
Resendiz
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by tjc transport
the second one, sold by atlantic marine.
aircraftspruce: FACET DURA-LIFT FUEL PUMPS from Aircraft Spruce has the same pump for $92.75. only thing i don't know is if they charge sales tax
So tempted... i think im just gonna buy it, and if its already installed by the time i get it, I will just return it and take the shipping/tax loss

Old 08-20-2016, 06:11 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
even if they put the other pump on, i would still keep the dura-lift.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:19 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Resendiz
If I do buy that 40222 pump, do i literally just remove the mr gasket pump and connect this one? Or is it more complicated than that? Are the hose fittings the same?

Holy ****. If it was running on a Mr Gasket, then yeah, that was definitely your problem.

I run the 40222 and have similar positive sentiments about its efficacy.

For the most part, you will be able to disconnect the Mr Gasket hoses, slide in the 40222 duralift, and reconnect the hoses, and reconnect the electrical and you should be fine. You will need to thread on your hose bibs into your duralift when you receive it, which means you can also go to a hardware store or Home Depot to buy 3/8" brass elbow fitting bibs so that you can orient your pump in an efficient way. Or just use the straight fittings if that works for you. I'm not sure what the amperage is for the Mr Gasket vs the duralift, but hopefully your PO put in a relay and separate fuse for that e-pump, and if he did, then check your fuse to make sure the amps are rated for the increased load of the duralift.

If the PO already hasn't wired it to relay from the "key on" position, then you might want to rewire it. That way you can turn the "key on" and then purge the air out of your fuel lines with the schrader valve depressed without having to turn over the engine (like in the lift pump situations). Another added benefit to the epump setup over the lift pump.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:05 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My opinions ...

The Mr. Gasket 12D pump is a good (used to be cheap) pump for temporary use, it is not designed for permanent use on these trucks!

It is a small engine fuel pump that pumps enough GPH to feed these motors ... But it won't last for permanent use on these trucks!

Unfortunately the price of them has gone through the roof in that past few years, I paid ~$20 in 2010 for the last one I bought, today, they want ~$60 for them ... That is outrageous! And not worth it!
If I were to buy another electric pump for temporary use I would spend the extra $40 and get a better pump, like the Facet.

Personally, I prefer manual lift pumps, you get equal performance without the hacking and you get to save ~70 bux!

PLUS! I would never permanently use an electric pump without some sort of safety shutoff in case of accident!
I have seen the results of an electric fuel pump feeding a fire in an accident, it's an ugly thing watching people burn!
An additional expense and headache ...

If the fuel system has air leaks, fix em!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 08-21-2016, 01:04 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
all good points Festus.
the main reason i still have the e-pump on my truck is because when the lift pump went, i had the electric on it already so just took the lift pump out of the line. then promptly forget to replace it.
then when doing service i would remember the e-pump was there and say i got to replace that lift pump. but it was always sunday, and by monday morning i would forget about it again.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:27 AM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I run two of the Mr gasket pumps. My lift pump went out on a saturday in an O'Reilly parking lot, thought I was lucky until I learned the pump was a non stocked item....

It took two mr gasket 12d's to feed my truck enough..but for now it's running. adding the duralift to my wishlist

Old 08-22-2016, 09:40 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've learned that if your fuel system has no leaks, and is fully primed... you don't actually need a fuel pump. The IP will draw fuel by itself.
As long as you have a primer bulb in the system(in case you need it and to prevent drainback), if your pump goes out all you need to do is bypass it, prime the system with the bulb, and it ought to get you where you need to go.
I suspect you won't get full power this way, but it definitely runs.
One thing to remember as well - If the IP starts drawing more fuel than the lift pump can supply(which might happen at WOT), with a mech pump it'll just suck through it without issue. I'm not sure, but I don't think an electric pump will allow such suck-through(obviously depends on the design).

Old 08-22-2016, 10:47 PM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it's definately possible. I think the main setback would be the restriction the fuel filter causes.

When I install used ip's I turn them with a fuel line connected to them to purge them of any old gunk or fuel. I suppose you could even pull some diesel klean through them and let it sit overnight.

The Mr gasket 12d pumps do allow flow through weather on or off. Have used several before the manual pump to help priming. They also have a check valve in them. They will even prime up past the manual pump though it is kinda slow.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:24 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
same with the duralift. it will allow a lift pump to draw through if power is not applied.