Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Removing rubber brake hose problem??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 04:50 AM
rah11h
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing rubber brake hose problem??

Removing the old cracked rubber brake line hoses on my daughters 2003 Ford Escape. Front left no problem. Old off, new on in 5 minutes. All the other won't come free. Can break nut loose, but just spins & spins. What is going on here? Did search and should be very easy. Any help out there?

Old 08-13-2016, 06:55 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On the caliper? Anytime something spins without moving like this sounds, it's stripped!

Old 08-13-2016, 11:32 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Ski, the calipers do not have 'banjo' fittings? Hmm.

The post is not very clear. Is it the bolt holding the brake line to the bracket? The fitting to the caliper, whatever its style? The flexible brake line to the 'hard' metal brake line?
More details would be helpful.
tom

Old 08-13-2016, 12:04 PM
rah11h
New User
Ford Escape Rubber Brake Hose?

The bolt that attaches to the metal line on the front will break free and begin to come loose. It backs out about 1/4" to 1/2" But will not come completely free. The same thing is happening on three on the rear. it is the rubber hose going to metal brake line. Vehicle has drum brakes on rear. I thought the hard part would be breaking them free, but that was easy. Just will not come completely off. Driver side front was completed in about 5 minutes no issue at all. it should not be this hard to remove rubber brake hoses..

Old 08-13-2016, 12:22 PM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
If you have not done so, I would suggest using a wrench or some vice-grips or an adjustable wrench on the fitting on the metal brake line to hold it still. While holding that fitting, loosen the rubber line fitting. It should unscrew without problem, but will likely want to 'go where it wants to go' and will bind as it tries to straighten out. You have to remove the 'bind', or counter it, while disassembling, and definitely while threading the new one in place.
Ineedapicture.
tom

Old 08-13-2016, 12:51 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tomw
Ski, the calipers do not have 'banjo' fittings? Hmm.

The post is not very clear. Is it the bolt holding the brake line to the bracket? The fitting to the caliper, whatever its style? The flexible brake line to the 'hard' metal brake line?
More details would be helpful.
tom
I know they aren't banjo style but thought the OP was just talking about the hex fitting on the line.

The flexible hoses "normally" have positioning tangs on the metal that either go into a bracket or through the frame but still have a hex on the opposite side of the retaining clip.

I don't follow the OP since if it moves 1/4 to 1/2 turn, it should easily move the rest of the way.

I'm in the last stretch of a complete brake line replacement job on a 1990 Buick. Some the flare nuts were rusted to the lines so they just twisted the line till it broke others I just sawed them off at the nut. Don't even get me started on bubble/DIN flares and its variations!

I love the smell of PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench now!

Old 08-13-2016, 04:34 PM
rah11h
New User
Brake Hoses Finally Removed!!!

I finally just ripped them off with vise grips & pliers. The drivers side front came out so easy. Just unscrewed. The rest were trouble. I think they were over tighten an some point and the flare would not clear the threads. didn't help the heat index is 109 in Richmond VA! New hoses on all four wheel & flushed and bled whole thing. Took twice as long as I was thinking. Beats $500 I was quote at garage. $50 for all parts. Thanks for everyone help..

Rick