1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008-2010 F250, Gas or Diesel??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 07:05 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 09F350
I don't think the 6.4L deserves such a bad rep. It all depends on the owner and what your capabilities and need dictate. My 09 F350 has 156k with only consistent oil, fuel filter, and air filter every 5k miles. Trans fluid/filter every 40k-50k. Original injectors and all. Granted I live in FL so I did a full DEF/CAT/EGR delete back at 50k. Uses a 5" Diamond Turbo Back exhaust. No special tune. Just the reprogram to remove the emissions. Tows like a champ and spools up in a flash. I'd say I have done 35% tow/65% empty. Gets 21mpg empty on the interstate and 14mpg with ~65% capacity. Just my $.02.
They 6.4's aren't bad engines, neither are the 05 to 07 6.0's The biggest thing I see an issue with is that they are not the most user friendly to work on and with guys that use them for short commutes and dont really use em to tow or on long trips and end up fouling them up because they dont allow the soot to get burned off and they get stuck in constant regens and then the problems start and the big bills come in for the repairs Deleting both the 6.0 and 6.4 does way better for the mileage they get and takes out a big failure point in them both but that's an expensive project for those that are budget minded

the 6.0 I had was deleted as well and it was an 04 and it had 498K on the OD when I sold it and it wasnt even burning oil or coolant, it just wasnt getting used enough to justify keeping it . that and it was getting to look like a car lot here with all the vehicles

I have seen some really well cared for non deleted 6.4's and 6.0's and some that had a foot in the wreckers yard. Really it is dependent on the condition of it now and what and how it was treated in the past

Old 08-09-2016, 07:15 PM
09F350
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocketlint
They 6.4's aren't bad engines, neither are the 05 to 07 6.0's The biggest thing I see an issue with is that they are not the most user friendly to work on and with guys that use them for short commutes and dont really use em to tow or on long trips and end up fouling them up because they dont allow the soot to get burned off and they get stuck in constant regens and then the problems start and the big bills come in for the repairs Deleting both the 6.0 and 6.4 does way better for the mileage they get and takes out a big failure point in them both but that's an expensive project for those that are budget minded

the 6.0 I had was deleted as well and it was an 04 and it had 498K on the OD when I sold it and it wasnt even burning oil or coolant, it just wasnt getting used enough to justify keeping it . that and it was getting to look like a car lot here with all the vehicles

I have seen some really well cared for non deleted 6.4's and 6.0's and some that had a foot in the wreckers yard. Really it is dependent on the condition of it now and what and how it was treated in the past
I definitely see your point. If it weren't for that poorly designed regen emissions system I think they would die a lot less. Same goes for the 6.0 and their EGR system and head bolts. Both excellent after the fact IMO.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:17 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I like my 6.0. I like my 06, a lot. My next ride will be an 11 on with the 6.2. That's going to be a while.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:22 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 09F350
I definitely see your point. if it weren't for that poorly designed regen emissions system I think they would die a lot less. Same goes for the 6.0.
Isn't that the truth. It's funny that the government agencies are all worried about emissions but yet these trucks are no where near the worst for it, there are hwy tractors construcition equip school buses and trains that put way more emissions than these trucks will be able to, but it is a lot easier to get it past consumers cause we dont have the lobbying groups or money to get us exempted.

Look at the 6.0 and 6.4's that are deleted that get way better mileage and and have trucks that last way better on the odometer and dont have the issue non deletes do. It is a shame that people have to invest even more in a truck then the initial purchase price to make sure it lasts long and doesnt turn into a huge repair bill down the road. Not every diesel owner wants to roll coal either, most just want a dependable truck that will last a while that at least gets some decent mileage out of it and has the ability to pull or not pull and get backj from point a to b without having to shell out 5k every time an issue pops up

Old 08-09-2016, 07:24 PM
chapdaddy33
Junior User
I have 3 5.4's and 1 is an F150 and the other 2 are F250's

My 2002 F150 5.4 2v has 209K Kms on it
My 2006 F250 has 5.4 3v 199K Kms on it
My 2008 F250 has 5.4 3v 299K Kms on it

Of course the F150 is going to get better MPG's it is a lighter truck. If you have drove an F150 and then an F350 you notice the difference right away in the weight. I really dont have a lot of complaints about any of them, they have been good trucks. My 06 has developed an issue which looks like either one of the timing chain guides went , or a tensioner just from the noise it is making, but I plan to replace the phasers, tensioners, guides, timing chain oil pump etc while I am in there.

Gas mileage wise I get around 11.5 to 13.5 in the city and in the 15 to 17 on the hwy sometimes a little more or less depending on the area a guy is traveling thru

I also pull trailers with my trucks but my 08 5.4 pulls my fifth wheel and it does an adequate job as it isnt light. Now is it going to beat a 6.0 6.4 6.7 in torque, no but it does the job and as you can tell by the mileage on my 08 it isnt a dog either, it gets used a lot for that.

One thing I do have is tuning from 5 Star with 3 tunes for it, and it helps a lot with the shifting points and power,So no complaints from me

Nothing wrong with the v10's they are good trucks just harder on gas which is why I bought 2 5.4s in the F250 range. Driving the v10 unloaded it is still hard on gas, and that is expected, 5.4 is easier on gas.... but as I said before there good trucks so I dont think you'd go wrong either way.

Mind if I ask why you dont just go with an F150? You'd get way better gas mileage and if your not towing heavy heavy you'd still be able to tow with it, hell there are guys who pull the lighter fiver's with them.
I have an f150 right now and have no probs except it's 2wd. I'm talking what I should get in about 5 years. I really like the look of the super duty trucks over the f150's. I've always wanted to own one. To me it's just more appealing and the overall size of the truck is something that I love.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:27 PM
09F350
New User
Isn't that the truth. It's funny that the government agencies are all worried about emissions but yet these trucks are no where near the worst for it, there are hwy tractors construcition equip school buses and trains that put way more emissions than these trucks will be able to, but it is a lot easier to get it past consumers cause we dont have the lobbying groups or money to get us exempted.

Look at the 6.0 and 6.4's that are deleted that get way better mileage and and have trucks that last way better on the odometer and dont have the issue non deletes do. It is a shame that people have to invest even more in a truck then the initial purchase price to make sure it lasts long and doesnt turn into a huge repair bill down the road. Not every diesel owner wants to roll coal either, most just want a dependable truck that will last a while that at least gets some decent mileage out of it and has the ability to pull or not pull and get backj from point a to b without having to shell out 5k every time an issue pops up
Yeah definitely. You really shouldn't have to teach yourself to be a diesel engineer just to keep them dependable. They should be born dependable.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:39 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by chapdaddy33
I have an f150 right now and have no probs except it's 2wd. I'm talking what I should get in about 5 years. I really like the look of the super duty trucks over the f150's. I've always wanted to own one. To me it's just more appealing and the overall size of the truck is something that I love.

I see. Well you nenver know what your going to be doing five years from now, I think if you bought either an f250 or 350 down the road you will always have the ability to pull a trailer if you ever wanted to do that, of course they are going to use a little more gas, but you would know that. I under stand the need for 4x4. My 02 F150 is 2 wheel drive, been a great truck but there have been a few times I have gotten stuck in deep snow and had to dig a little to get er out

It's why I made sure my others have all had 4x4, nothing worse than it being -29C out and you have to do some digging. Of course the 4x4 is handy when you need it and when you dont you leave it in 2wd and its is just fine

Old 08-09-2016, 10:16 PM
chapdaddy33
Junior User
I see. Well you nenver know what your going to be doing five years from now, I think if you bought either an f250 or 350 down the road you will always have the ability to pull a trailer if you ever wanted to do that, of course they are going to use a little more gas, but you would know that. I under stand the need for 4x4. My 02 F150 is 2 wheel drive, been a great truck but there have been a few times I have gotten stuck in deep snow and had to dig a little to get er out

It's why I made sure my others have all had 4x4, nothing worse than it being -29C out and you have to do some digging. Of course the 4x4 is handy when you need it and when you dont you leave it in 2wd and its is just fine
That is one of the reasons I will be sure to have 4wd on my next vehicle. I bought a portable snow shovel just in case I do get stuck. I'll just have to deal with the cold but that's part of living in the north. I'm not too worried about the cold. It's just the deep snow that builds up from the winds

Old 08-09-2016, 11:02 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by chapdaddy33
That is one of the reasons I will be sure to have 4wd on my next vehicle. I bought a portable snow shovel just in case I do get stuck. I'll just have to deal with the cold but that's part of living in the north. I'm not too worried about the cold. It's just the deep snow that builds up from the winds
Know how that is I have remote starts in 2 of my trucks and even when its been -32c I have gotten them to start without having em plugged in, they do the cold whine at first but once the engine goes it's all good from there.

It's always nice to not have to go out and start a truck when its hella cold out and then have run like hell back inside so you dont freezer your *** off...lol

Old 08-09-2016, 11:06 PM
chapdaddy33
Junior User
Know how that is I have remote starts in 2 of my trucks and even when its been -32c I have gotten them to start without having em plugged in, they do the cold whine at first but once the engine goes it's all good from there.

It's always nice to not have to go out and start a truck when its hella cold out and then have run like hell back inside so you dont freezer your *** off...lol
Lol, I don't think there is a way for me to plug it in as it will be spending most of its time in the student parking lot. The cold whine is just the cheap *** plastic power steering pump but it only does it for a little while. Just learned that today too. Yea I have a feeling there are gonna be some brutal cold mornings. And can't forget the wind chill either

Old 08-10-2016, 09:14 AM
Gangly
Junior User
The 5.4 is a solid motor and it will tow anything you need it to. What you have to put in perspective though is how you prefer to tow. I don't tow anything with the expectation that when I hook up 10k lbs to the back of my 5.4 truck that it's going to pull like it's empty. Diesel's can and will pull the weight with much less loss in "feelable" power, but both engines are designed to pull and both can. Whether you have a gasser or a diesel wont affect the stability of the truck or how it handles the load while going down the road. The engine simply determines how fast you will get up to speed and how much fuel will be consumed in the process.

Chose the truck(250, 350, +) based on towing weight needs, chose the engine based on the acceleration/fuel costs/maintenance needs. Both engines will get the job done.