1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 04:17 PM
TimWaite
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires

I will be needing new tires shortly and I think I have it narrowed down....but would like some opinions on them. Probably should be posting in the tire section but I really want super duty comments. Going on my 09 which is not a daily driver. And I want a little more aggressive tire-not a mud type or a street tire, but somewhere in between. I live in Michigan so we actually have 4 seasons, sometimes all in one day. Size will be LT285-70-17 unless I can find a set of factory aluminum 18".

1)Cooper S/T Maxx
2)Cooper Discoverer S/T
3)BFG AT
4)General Grabber AT

Pros/cons of each....Thank you

Old 08-07-2016, 04:38 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
My GrabberAT2 destroyed my rocker panels with flying rocks retained from my driveway. I have done a lot of tire searching and shopping. The Maxx are #1 in my area, it is my top tire choice if they are available in the needed size. The Maxx also have a great selection in the 18" size if you went that route.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:02 PM
hoss66
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had dick cepek fun country tires on my last couple trucks and have nothing bad to say about them.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:02 PM
TimWaite
Junior User
Originally Posted by RainDesert
My GrabberAT2 destroyed my rocker panels with flying rocks retained from my driveway. I have done a lot of tire searching and shopping. The Maxx are #1 in my area, it is my top tire choice if they are available in the needed size. The Maxx also have a great selection in the 18" size if you went that route.
I had BFG's on an older 1/2 ton that threw rocks. The tread pattern between the BFG and AT2 look similar, so I had that thought.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:05 PM
TimWaite
Junior User
These are similar and I believe they are made by Cooper. I guess I'll check on prices

CooperMastercraft - Courser CXT

Old 08-07-2016, 10:55 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Since you threw out more tires, I will say I've always liked and had good luck with Cooper AT3's. I am also interested in the new Nitto heavy duty Exo Grapplers. They have a size I would like in the 35x11.50x20.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:54 PM
wh-7
Junior User
I had the ST Maxx's on my F150. It is one tough tire. It did seem to lose some traction on wet roads as the tread wore down. Would buy again though.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:14 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i love my BFG A/T KO2 so far (about 3k miles on them i believe, which reminds me, i need to rotate them lol)

actually just cleaned them up today with some degreaser, i love when the white letters are nice and clean and pop against the black sidewall like this.

Name:  PhotoGrid_1472340043523_zpspwryfnc4.jpg
Views: 12254
Size:  496.2 KB

original pic first then a filter applied on the second. the pic above of the tires is unedited though.

Name:  20160827_192318_zpsepvchuhd.jpg
Views: 11874
Size:  192.6 KB

Name:  20160827_192318-01_zpsouvwn51n.jpeg
Views: 11883
Size:  194.6 KB

Old 08-28-2016, 02:53 AM
joeytotalauto
Freshman User
Superduty tires

Well I always loved the BFG T/A
But on both of my superdutys they just don't cut it . They wear out fast and hydro plain above 65 mpg just on a wet road . I switched over too general AT 2 and loved em on my 04 Superduty crew cab 4 door has job .
Sold a ton of them at my shop . Well my 08 Superduty 6.4 ate the suckers up.
I called my tire supplyer and he said oh run the toyo's. I said I don't want jap tires on my truck . Come too find out they are made in USA.
I went with the toyo open country AT2 extreme and love em . Truck no longer wonders road noise is minimal . They also offer a open country RT rough terrain it's in between the AT2 and the mud terrain . We just installed 2 sets on 2 different superdutys and the guys love em . We are out here in Arizona so the real aggressive tires make more heat on the road which is already extream even 4 hours after the sun goes down . I would absolutely recommend the toyo open country AT2 extream . The regur AT is not as aggressive so keep that in mind .

Old 08-28-2016, 06:26 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 959 Likes on 590 Posts
I switched from Firestone Destination AT to BFG KO2 last year. Good move.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:04 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by joeytotalauto
Well I always loved the BFG T/A
But on both of my superdutys they just don't cut it . They wear out fast and hydro plain above 65 mpg just on a wet road . I switched over too general AT 2 and loved em on my 04 Superduty crew cab 4 door has job .
Sold a ton of them at my shop . Well my 08 Superduty 6.4 ate the suckers up.
I called my tire supplyer and he said oh run the toyo's. I said I don't want jap tires on my truck . Come too find out they are made in USA.
I went with the toyo open country AT2 extreme and love em . Truck no longer wonders road noise is minimal . They also offer a open country RT rough terrain it's in between the AT2 and the mud terrain . We just installed 2 sets on 2 different superdutys and the guys love em . We are out here in Arizona so the real aggressive tires make more heat on the road which is already extream even 4 hours after the sun goes down . I would absolutely recommend the toyo open country AT2 extream . The regur AT is not as aggressive so keep that in mind .
i too heard mixed reviews on a heavy truck like the SD, especially me running them on a CCLB dually. so far they seem to be wearing evenly and not too fast, but only time will tell. i've been trying to figure out what i want to do regarding rotating tires, because to properly rotate on a dually really isn't feasible taking the tires off the wheels and remounting/balancing every time. i'm considering getting 3 more aluminum wheels to replace the 2 inner rear steel wheels, and the steel spare, and then rotating them without taking the tires off each time. but not sure yet.

i haven't noticed any hydro plain issues yet, although i rarely drive over 50-60, maybe 70max on the interstate because it starts to death wobble lol. and especially when it's raining i probably dont go over 50 in this truck.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:50 PM
joeytotalauto
Freshman User
Death wobble could be either bad front shocks or the track bar is worn out .
Usually it's one of those . Not ball joints or toe rrod ends .
That's usually what people think when they come into the shop and tell us what they think .
If you do happen to replace your track bar get the adjustable one . You can pick one up on e bay for around a $100.00

Old 08-28-2016, 09:39 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
BFG's is the only one I have experience with. Had a couple sets of them. I live in Northern Indiana and grew up in Michigan so have experience with your weather concerns. They are a pretty good all around tire. I would get around 45,000 miles or so out of a set. I would say ice and mud performance would be the worst area I found with them. I really found that out when I started snow plowing. If you need just an all around tire I think you will be happy with them. Make sure you get the load range E's. BFG likes to try to sell you D's for our trucks. I actually have switched to Goodyear Duratracs for the past two sets, and will not turn back. Love these tires and they also carry the severe weather rating.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:27 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by joeytotalauto
Death wobble could be either bad front shocks or the track bar is worn out .
Usually it's one of those . Not ball joints or toe rrod ends .
That's usually what people think when they come into the shop and tell us what they think .
If you do happen to replace your track bar get the adjustable one . You can pick one up on e bay for around a $100.00
i do need new ball joints as well, but i am considering the adjustable track bar. what good is an adjustable one vs stock? i have a temporary 2" front shackle lift (i say temp because when funds allow i want to get a 4 or 6" suspension lift and put the stock shackles back in, just needed 2" to clear tires for now) and after i put them in, i noticed it got more bouncy mainly around 42ish mph. the shocks aren't even a year old, brand new oem motorcraft ones put on by the dealer under warranty. i wonder if they're too short and with the 2" shackle lift they're maxed out and aren't doing much, maybe i need longer ones?

also after the shackle lift, the steering wheel was crooked. we tried adjusting it back as close as possible but it's still a hair to the right. i'd like to eventually fix that also, would the adjustable track bar help with that or is that the "drag link" i'm thinking about?

sorry OP for going off topic. Joey if you want, PM me so we don't hijack this thread haha.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:55 AM
joeytotalauto
Freshman User
The track bar works like a pendulum . As you lift the truck the bar needs to be made longer and vice Versa as the weight of the engine makes the truck slump down in front over time it needs to be made shorter . This also make it possable for a way better alignment and frees up the front end . Gets rid of that twitchy feeling .

Quick Reply: Tires