Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dilemma: to drive or not to drive it

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 01:15 AM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dilemma: to drive or not to drive it

Hey guys, so here's the deal: my 1990 7.3L has a stuck valve or something wrong with the valve train ( we pulled the valve covers and confirmed this). The guy working on it said that my engine could last a while the way it is with stop and go city traffic, but it's a lot more risky to drive it at sustained RPMs that highway driving requires.

I need to drive 515 miles to visit my best friend in the entire world on her birthday...my only vehicle is the 7.3L...is there any strategy I can use to make my motor not grenade itself, such as driving 60 the whole way there, or stuff like that? I need to see her and I think a rental car is out of the question...

Any input would be appreciated!

Old 07-09-2016, 06:59 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You confirmed you hav a "stuck valve or something"??? That's not what I call "confirmed".
I drove mine for about a year with a bad guide and the exhaust chuffing away like a steam engine.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:09 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
You'd get a lot better information if you confirmed what's wrong. Ask the guy working on it specifically what's wrong, then maybe we will have some specific advice.

The way you've left it I recommend budgeting to either permanently abandon the truck when the engine blows up and take a taxi the rest of the way, or have enough money on hand to have it towed home when the engine blows and enough to buy another engine.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:12 AM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
You'd get a lot better information if you confirmed what's wrong. Ask the guy working on it specifically what's wrong, then maybe we will have some specific advice.

The way you've left it I recommend budgeting to either permanently abandon the truck when the engine blows up and take a taxi the rest of the way, or have enough money on hand to have it towed home when the engine blows and enough to buy another engine.
I'm getting the heads replaced in the next week or so, so I would prefer to not drive the thing into the ground...

Old 07-09-2016, 11:39 AM
Nero Morg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselCamper
I'm getting the heads replaced in the next week or so, so I would prefer to not drive the thing into the ground...
Sounds like you answered your own question. Rent a car in the meantime.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:05 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Nero Morg
Sounds like you answered your own question. Rent a car in the meantime.
I don't think I can. Mom always told me that you can't rent if you're under 21 and Enterprise's website confirmed that...

Old 07-09-2016, 12:25 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Content deleted due to inability to express on topic opinion within forum guidelines!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 07-09-2016, 12:46 PM
xTHANATOPSISx
Junior User
Discretion is the better part of valor. A phone call is going to have to do. I'm certain such a close friend will understand your situation and at your age, a week may seem an eternity, but you really will make it.

I'm guessing the truck would live again, but at what cost if you did further damage?

Old 07-09-2016, 01:13 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by xTHANATOPSISx
Discretion is the better part of valor. A phone call is going to have to do. I'm certain such a close friend will understand your situation and at your age, a week may seem an eternity, but you really will make it.

I'm guessing the truck would live again, but at what cost if you did further damage?
I don't want to know how much it would cost if the piston hit something from the valve train that decided to fall in. I'll text her and tell her 😔

Old 07-09-2016, 04:12 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't want to know how much it would cost if the piston hit something from the valve train that decided to fall in. I'll text her and tell her 😔
Good call...... Just do your "business" by hand until you get the truck ready to travel...

Old 07-09-2016, 04:46 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
If that happened it would be much cheaper to buy another engine.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:58 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Sticky valves respond well to MMO at recommended dosage in both the gas and oil.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:59 AM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Sticky valves respond well to MMO at recommended dosage in both the gas and oil.
I tried sea foam already :/

Old 07-10-2016, 05:30 AM
xTHANATOPSISx
Junior User
Seafoam is not Marvel Mystery Oil. That said, I don't personally expect much from ANY additive or treatment. YMMV.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:56 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
I tried sea foam already :/
My uncle has a chainsaw?

No seriously, try Marvel's. IF it is simply a stuck lifter or similar, it will likely do the trick.

Remember, in BOTH the fuel (6 ounces per 10 gallons, whatever it says on the bottle, and 1 quart in the crankcase oil. It usually doesn't take too long to do its magic either.

The reason it smells like it does btw, because Marvel's has a penetrating oil included, wintergreen. It really works for this purpose. It's some kind of light oil and solvent, so it dissolves gum and varnish and free's rings etc.

Quick Reply: Dilemma: to drive or not to drive it