Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Turn Signal Flasher Relay....

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 11:09 PM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turn Signal Flasher Relay....

Damn that thing is a booger to get to..... After disassembling what felt like the whole front end of the truck, I finally gain access to the danged thing. Mine has been acting up intermittently for about year and half i guess. When flipping to switch to signal turning, it started making a buzzing sound. At first it was doing it most of the time. Then it cleared up and started working right for several months, then act up, the act right. Well, now it makes the buzzing noise more often than not so i decided to address it. I went to Oreilly, they didnt have one, but told me the part number. I went across the street to Autozone, that had one on the shelf that was same part number as Oreilly. I put it in and when flipping the switch, the relay does it tick tock sounds like its working, except for there is no indication on the dash cluster that its working, nor are the actual lights working. I swap back to original and buzzing, put in new one and tick tock but no lights. Whats the deal? Is this one of those things that you have to go back to Ford? Or maybe i got a bum relay from parts house and should exchange for another to see if it works? Very frustating after all the work to get to the danged thing only to not be able to fix it.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:23 PM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Have you changed any of your flasher bulbs over to LED? When I did all mine the factory unit just buzzed, there wasn't enough load. I installed an EP-27L (I think that was the part number anyway? The L designator was the important part.) and it solved my issues.

If you haven't then you may want to look at the multifunction switch on your steering column, they can go bad over time. I don't think replacing it is that hard. As to replacing the flasher unit, I didn't find it hard at all, I just laid down in the drivers foot well and reached up under the dash and pulled the old unit. It really wasn't that far up under the dash?? Maybe it is in a different location on my 2002?

Old 06-26-2016, 12:03 AM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

Only thing ive changed over to LED is the reverse white lights and did that years ago. I changed the multiswitch about 2-3 yrs ago, wouldnt think it would go bad this soon, but stranger things have happened. There is no way in hades i was getting at that thing without disassmbling the world. I could reach up and touch it, but no way to change it, especially when it had a plastic cover over it and the two relays right beside it. Too tight, no room to work.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:46 AM
Scarmandos
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rikster-7700
you may want to look at the multifunction switch on your steering column, they can go bad over time. I don't think replacing it is that hard.
I had a buzzing sound coming from the flasher relay also. A FTE search showed others getting rid of the buzz by replacing the MF switch. Turn signals work normally when using switch on steering column. I replaced the MF switch with a used one which turned out to have the same issue. I had to buy new. I suspect the lube inside the switch looses its insulation properties overtime and starts to conduct a small amount of current between the contacts in the MF switch. Enough current to energize the relay coil to make it vibrate. Never did follow up to verify the grease was the real culprit though.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:11 PM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

Well, went by Ford today and ordered a new relay. Will know tomorrow if thats it or if I need a new mf switch.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:06 PM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

Just to close out the thread with solution....

$35 turn signal relay from Ford that I didnt need but cannot return (electrical part no returns).

$110 Multi Switch from Oreillys that I didnt need. Can take back.

Once i dug into the column to replace the switch, discovered that the wire harness plug to the switch was loose and had fallen out of socket. The retainer clip had broken and allowed the plug to loosen which was causing the issue. Pushed in the plug to reseat it and everything works as it should now. Just wanted to close the loop on this.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:09 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Glad it was an easy fix for you, Damon.

Thanks for closing the loop! So many don't......

Pop