1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Swap or upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 09:13 PM
Trashwagon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Swap or upgrade

I have 1 '99 F53 Rv chassis with the 6.8 Triton. It now has the C4 AOd in it and I don't like it's performance. Is is possible to swap for a C6 and what are the pros and cons.???

Old 05-20-2016, 10:39 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
A 1999 F53 should have a 4R100 transmission in it which is already closer to a C6 than a C4, but a C6 is a 3 speed and the 4R100 is a 4 speed with 1 overdrive.

The only pro I can think of is that the transmission itself would be cheaper.
But all the cons I can think of make that a moot point.
The C6 is a 3 speed so I can't imagine you would actually like the "performance" of it any better. I could be wrong, but I don't believe the C6 was ever made with the modular motor bellhousing bolt pattern so you would need an adapter for that and also figure out what torque convertor and flexplate will mate one to the other. Just fitting them together sounds like way more trouble than it is worth.
Then you may need to replace or reprogram the PCM so it wouldn't freak out when its buddy the electronically shifted transmission suddenly isn't there any more.
Then there is the small issue of the much larger fuel bill when your RV no longer has an overdrive so the revs can drop at highway speeds.

If you are really wanting a "performance" improvement, I would recommend browsing through the V10 section where you will see that people who know more about this than me often recommend a 5 Star tune to improve horsepower of the engine and change the shift strategy of the transmission. Also highly recommended is to change the rear gear with numerically higher gears that give it more grunt to get your heavy RV moving., as in go from 3.73 to 4.56 or 4.88 etc.
There are not a lot of bolt-ons for the V10, the good blower kits have been discontinued but sometimes still pop up for sale. There are a couple of brands of long tube headers available which are worthwhile for their much thicker flanges that are more resistant to warpage than the stock log exhaust manifold.

If you really want to throw some money at it, consider an engine swap to the 2005+ 3 valve V10 with the 5 speed automatic transmission. It's a stronger engine and a much improved transmission.

Good luck, and keep us posted. I am interested to see what you decide to do on this project.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:24 PM
Trashwagon
New User
Thanks that's the information I was looking for. Have been checking out the 5 star program and may go that way. Threw an engine code this week on the way home. Has been acting up previous, but what ever the problem was, it wasn't to the point of sending a code, but now maybe my mechanics will be able to figure it out now. There are no "old time" mechanics anymore, they all have to rely on the dang electronic codes to do any diagnostics.....

Old 05-21-2016, 02:08 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Trashwagon
There are no "old time" mechanics anymore, they all have to rely on the dang electronic codes to do any diagnostics.....
They are still around. The electronics makes it easier to diagnose. For instance if your V10 is throwing a code for a misfire, a real time scanner can show which cylinder it is as it is happening. Or a simple code reader can display the code that the computer sets to show which cylinder # is misfiring. Time marches on, and so does technology.

The first tool you should reach for when attempting to diagnose a modern engine is a code reader or diagnostic scanner. It's just the nature of the machine. To work on an engine controlled by a computer, you first have to communicate with that computer. It is somewhat ironic for someone to complain about the advance of technology by typing on a computer on an internet forum in order to instantly communicate with someone who is likely thousands of miles away.

You can pick up a simple code reader for as little as $15.
Read this from the V10 section on why the check engine light on your RV does not always light when there is a code set:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...t-come-on.html

Old 05-21-2016, 06:33 PM
Trashwagon
New User
Yeah, Sam I guess you are right. Excuse this old fart! Guess the electronic are far better than the alternative. Engines live longer these days.