6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

PLEASE HELP!!! PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 10:00 PM
huntfish714
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLEASE HELP!!! PCM?

First off I am new here and plan on learning a lot and give advise when k can. Love my new (to me) truck BUT having issues...... here's the back story and why I think it's the pcm and want to know what yall think.

I bought this 2006 F250 6.0L crew cab a little over a week ago. Has 164k miles and have averaged currently 12.25 mpg in town and 13.5 hwy. 4" exhaust and airraid cold air kit. It is not chipped (to my knowledge) and I am using a obd2 Bluetooth with the Torque Pro 6.0 app with the powerstroke pids. Has Original studs egr etc...
The truck ran GREAT for the first day or so I bought it but sounded like an injector was clattering a little. I gave it an oil change and added rev-x oil additive, motorcraft oil and both fuel filters, also did the "blue spring" upgrade with plunger and white ?air? Thing. Two days after I got it I started getting an icp code p2287, then p2285, p2289 followed. The truck had sparatic big clouds of white smoke but couldn't notice a pattern of when it was doing it. After some research on hear I removed the egr valve to check for fluid or sticky crap but only found soot build up (like it had never been cleaned before), I cleaned it up and made sure valves were free and clear and closed fully, reinstalled and seemed to fix the "white smoke issue". Next had problems starting when 'cold' (sitting for more than 5 hrs at aprox 45-60 degrees outide). Problems starting- can hear fuel pump kick on cycle for 28-30 seconds and shut off like it should, would crank but no start, some times it would start but would be VERY rough idle and die, after about 2-4 times doing this (sometimes after 1 or 2 Times cranking) it would fire right up and idle and run great with an initial very small puff of grey or black smoke. Went hunting over the weekend and problems got worse. A few times I didn't think I was gunna get the truck started at all. Once I figured out how to download the powerstroke pids for torque I set my gauges up am getting No engine oil temp reading, No IRP duty cycle reading, No HPOP psi, and a few other no shows..... then yesterday my a/c quit working (checked charge and is fine), also noticed that the engine fan has only came on a handful of times in the past week that I've owned it and overheated once (a new radiator cap seemed to fix it....????) Then this morning went to start the truck up and took 10 minutes to get it started and when it finally did it sent out a Big cloud of grey smoke and ran fine after that to work. Started right up to come home but almost stalled at 2 different stop signs. ECT reads normal, Transmission Temp reads normal but no signal from icp/hpop, or eot sensor. I also got 4 more codes today: p2138 throttle position, p0335 crankshaft position A, and X2 u1900 network errors. I checked icp and eot sensors and both 'look' good, removed pcm and checked wiring. Pcm looks original and dirty and when u shake it it sounds like there's a couple grains of sand or something in it (in a sealed unit??????). I also checked batteries and FICM and all is good on the three voltage tests...

I am really out of money and out of patience, and have limited resources for checking more things ie fuel pressure, oil pressure test etc....

From what I've found through researching is that All sensors that I'm having problems with and all issues I'm having all go thru the PCM, if I'm not mistaken. So my question is if my pcm were bad or going bad would it cause speratic behavior like this on start up and leave a no response from multiple sensors (but run fine some times)? Thank you in advance for any and all help and sorry for makin it so long lol

Old 05-09-2016, 10:16 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
PCM is a sealed unit.
Before jumping at the PCM check the harness all the way from the PCM
to where it starts to split out all the smaller harness section. Also check
the harness to body plug. It will be grey and squarish. Look under the ABS
module for this plug. Also check the smaller round one too.

Network issues are a PITA do to all the digging you need to do to isolate it.
I see you listed things that are in the cab and that is why I say look at the
places I listed. p2138 is from inside the cab.

I am thinking that cab to engine bay harness connections may be heading
the correct direction. Check over all the wires for chew marks. Yes the rodents
seem to love the flavor that Ford used for the insulation.

What part of ID are you in?

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 05-09-2016, 10:39 PM
huntfish714
New User

Awesome! Thanks for the response sean! I will check that stuff out tomorrow in the light. Come to think of it I did clean a mouse nest out from under the two relay box that sits in front of the pcm on the day I bought it..... also what are those two relays for? I couldn't find anything to identify what they were.
What is the best way to check all off the wiring, it has the thick stock outer sleeve that looks impossible to get into without nicking a wire? Also on the engine compartment to cab connections what would I be looking for, corosion of the pins for bad connections? Also you mentioned everything is from the cab, so the icp and eot readings would not make it to the obd2 port or is there a more important wire that runs all that stuff? Forgive all my questions, I am very new to these trucks. And I am in Middleton just north of nampa and caldwell

Old 05-09-2016, 11:57 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
That set of relays right at the driver side front corner near the battery is for the 4DW systems.

What you want to look for are crushed spots in the harness. One very bad one is the main run
that gets misplaced near the underside of the air filter. That is the one that has the most wires.
Look up wire chafing in the Tech Folder at the top of the forum or use the link next to my FOX.
What can happen is someone works on the engine and then does not place harness back in it's
spot and the filter sits on it and rubs the wires.

On the pins look for corrosion and or bent pins.

That connection I said to check would carry the network info to the cab from the PCM. All you
really need to do is to look at the pins and contacts to make sure they are clean and dry. You can
also use some dielectric grease on then when you reconnect them.

On from the cab I meant to say that you have DTCs from both the engine and from the cab.
Like the throttle position sensor is in the cab just above the peddle. They all run on the Vref.
Speaking of Vref. That would be very good to know what it's doing. Should be stable 5 VDC.
One thing that can trip that up is the connection at the EBP sensor can get beat up and short
it out. It's a smaller 3 pin/wire connector and will drive you nuts with intermittent faults. You can
unplug it and fish the connector up so you can get a good look at it with a magnifying lens. Look
really close to the plastic wither the wires go in.

Now for some Photo Fun

I hope that the text is large enough to read.

If you find the harness under the air filter or it's support be sure to
check that for any crushing/chafing.

The reason I asked on the location is I have family in Twin and surrounding area.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 05-10-2016, 12:12 AM
huntfish714
New User
YOUR AWESOME MAN THANK YOU!!!!! I'll check it all out tomorrow and let you know what I find. I'm anxious as to see what I find!

Old 05-10-2016, 12:29 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Don't forget where the harness can chafe on the top of the drivers side shock stud.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:34 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
I forgot about that location because I don't have any
problem with it at all.

But I am wondering about the Vref the more I think about it.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 05-11-2016, 08:41 AM
huntfish714
New User
Ok thanks guys! Unfortunately couldn't look at truck yet, got called outta town for work but should be back Friday and let yall know what I find. Also I unplugged my icp and left it unplugged and truck seemed to cold start and run just fine but still no gauges worked other than ECT and MAF. My understanding is the vref is a single 5v supply wire that branches to each sensor to supply power, is this correct or did I completely miss it? Lol thanks!

Old 05-11-2016, 02:53 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
I'll post some reading stuff for you.

This should give you a good start on all the interrelated things.
I'll try and post later one for the Power Distribution.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder