Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M5R2 no reverse...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 03:20 PM
Glaser67
Tuned
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
M5R2 no reverse...

So the other day I discovered that I reverse it completely "empty" and 5th is a challenge to get into when parked. So I take off the boot and not surprisingly, the shifter bushing is toast. Replacement kit is on the way...

My question is that if it's likely that the bushing will bring back reverse and 5th by itself, or is it possible that the fork failed? I'm doing the bushing anyways, but figure if it's a good idea to do the fork while I'm in there or not...

Also 2nd tends to grind just a bit, so would it best just to do all the forks?

Thanks, guys!

Old 04-27-2016, 01:28 PM
Glaser67
Tuned
So after I removed the shifter, I was unable to remove the retainer bolt from either side and stripped the threads. I figure I could go pull one from the junkyard and start over, or so I thought....

I put the shifter back in and when I went to pull away, I couldn't shift into any gear. Here I was last night, in front of the drive way half into the street trying to at least get into neutral. Well after half and hour I realized the forks must be manipulated because it wouldnt even roll down the street; my tranny must have been in a couple gears or something like that. So I called in a tow and she's at the shop right now. I realize how simple it is to remove the top of the tranny, but if I did i still wouldn't know what to do with the forks. So I'll ask the shop to at least get her in gear right, and inspect the forks while they're in there.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:52 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So you took the lid off and now it is stuck in whatever gear? Just remove lid and put sliders in neutral and make sure shifter is in neutral so the forks line up with the sliders. Put lid back on. Once snugged down confirm gears are all there. You can inspect forks since they come off with lid. Easy to replace them, just roll pins holding them on.

If you just pulled shifter off you need to get it back off and line up the notches so the shifter pin engages them properly.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:22 AM
Glaser67
Tuned
Originally Posted by Freightrain
So you took the lid off and now it is stuck in whatever gear? Just remove lid and put sliders in neutral and make sure shifter is in neutral so the forks line up with the sliders. Put lid back on. Once snugged down confirm gears are all there. You can inspect forks since they come off with lid. Easy to replace them, just roll pins holding them on.

Right; my problem is not knowing how to line up the pins and such on the lid...

If you just pulled shifter off you need to get it back off and line up the notches so the shifter pin engages them properly.
I didn't take off the top...I went to re-install the shifter with the ****ty bushing and when I did, I must have been in a gear, but after monkeying around with it, I must be in a couple gears as when I push in the clutch it wont roll.

Also I was blocking by brothers truck in the driveway, and it being my daily driver I had to get it solved.

So it's in the shop now and I'm just going to ask that the shop get it in gear so I can use 1-4th, then go the the yard and grab another shifter, replace the bushing and hope that solves the missing reverse and 5th gear. Otherwise yeah I'll have to pull the cover and get into it.

I should know more by this afternoon...stay tuned

Old 05-01-2016, 10:21 AM
Glaser67
Tuned
Originally Posted by Glaser67
I didn't take off the top...I went to re-install the shifter with the ****ty bushing and when I did, I must have been in a gear, but after monkeying around with it, I must be in a couple gears as when I push in the clutch it wont roll.

Also I was blocking by brothers truck in the driveway, and it being my daily driver I had to get it solved.

So it's in the shop now and I'm just going to ask that the shop get it in gear so I can use 1-4th, then go the the yard and grab another shifter, replace the bushing and hope that solves the missing reverse and 5th gear. Otherwise yeah I'll have to pull the cover and get into it.

I should know more by this afternoon...stay tuned
the mechanic first lined up the "fingers" or "gates" from the top, and replaced the bushing assembly as I previously attempted to do. Only now, he says 1-4th locks it up, goes forward in 5th AND reverse!

Says it may not be worth it to investigate further give the age and mileage, also because the repair may go beyond the forks and synchros...well here's where I'm reaching out to this community for sold advise...

I'm on the threshold of a engine swap, and know the m502 would need replaced at some point, so now may be a good opportunity to do so when the engines out soon. Question is where is a reputable place to source a new or rebuilt Mazda tranny? What would I expect to pay?

I'd rather not take the time while my truck is not drivable to take the lid off and make a repair only to have to replace it down the road, just have to move faster to do the swap ya know?

Thanks guys!

Old 05-01-2016, 12:59 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it goes forward in 5th and reverse, he did something terribly wrong and didn't align the forks properly. Either that or your shift forks are just completely broken.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:21 PM
Glaser67
Tuned
Originally Posted by Lead Head
If it goes forward in 5th and reverse, he did something terribly wrong and didn't align the forks properly. Either that or your shift forks are just completely broken.
That makes sense. I'll get it towed home, pop open the top and post pics.