1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

No Check engine or ABS lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 01:10 AM
Lima0331
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Check engine or ABS lights

Hey guys, new here. I have a 2000 E350, picked it up as a side project. Need some advice on where to start. Neither the check engine light or the brake lights come on at all in the cluster. There may be others too.. I want to start troubleshooting this, and i am looking for some schematics, or places to start. I ordered a service manual, but that's a few days out. Van runs great. Any pointers would be great.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:05 AM
Mikey_23_ny1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Lima0331
Hey guys, new here. I have a 2000 E350, picked it up as a side project. Need some advice on where to start. Neither the check engine light or the brake lights come on at all in the cluster. There may be others too.. I want to start troubleshooting this, and i am looking for some schematics, or places to start. I ordered a service manual, but that's a few days out. Van runs great. Any pointers would be great.
Do you try scanning? If the lights don't come on momentarily with ignition on, possibly someone removed the bulbs from the cluster? Did you just purchase the van?

Old 04-12-2016, 06:15 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
When the ignition key is turned to "run" does the gauge cluster go through its proving sequence? If so everything internal to the cluster is working as it should.

I believe the E350's might not be fully OBD-II if you're wondering about DTC's being indicated by the CEL cluster lamp. OBD-II isn't required for that GVWR chassis. You might post a question in the V8 Modular Motor forums for a better reply.

HTH

Old 04-12-2016, 09:43 AM
Lima0331
New User
Originally Posted by Mikey_23_ny1
Do you try scanning? If the lights don't come on momentarily with ignition on, possibly someone removed the bulbs from the cluster? Did you just purchase the van?
Thanks for the quick reply.

No, I have not had it scanned. The brakes need to be redone before I can move it anywhere. I should have those done tonight or tomorrow.

With the key in the on position, there is no Check Engine light, or ABS. Dont see airbag either. Knowing previous owner, there is a good chance that wires were disconnected. I thought I remember reading that there is one lead bringing 12V to the the circuit, specifically the ABS and check engine light, as well as a few others, and the control module sinks the current to turn that individual light on. That's why i went straight for the wiring diagram. I will be tearing off the cluster as soon as the brakes are done. Would love it of only the lights are burnt out, but seems unlikely given that there is more than one light out. I have only had the vehicle for a couple of days.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:48 AM
Lima0331
New User
Originally Posted by JWA
When the ignition key is turned to "run" does the gauge cluster go through its proving sequence? If so everything internal to the cluster is working as it should.

I believe the E350's might not be fully OBD-II if you're wondering about DTC's being indicated by the CEL cluster lamp. OBD-II isn't required for that GVWR chassis. You might post a question in the V8 Modular Motor forums for a better reply.

HTH
No, the standard sequence does not occur. Thanks for the heads up on the forum location. As of right now, I am just looking for a wiring diagram WRT that part of the circuit. I have no interest in the DTC's as of yet since the vehicle is not moving for a bit.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:35 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Okay so if I gather correctly the van runs and drives, yes?

If so do the gauges work, does the backlighting work, do the turn signal indicators illuminate? Are there ANY drivability issues such as transmission not shifting properly?

There would be value in at least connecting some sort of code scanner to the OBD-II test port if only to see if the ECM is sending info there.

Its possible your instrument cluster has failed, at least a few of its inner circuits. Assuming your chassis is indeed a 2000 gasoline I believe I have an unused but totally functioning cluster you could have for nothing more than shipping to your ZIP. (I'll have to dig around through my pile of parts but kinda sorta remember I have one not being used at the moment.)

The IC's are specific to certain years so if seeking one locally or online you need to make sure its compatible with your year and fuel type. eBay and LKQ Online are great sources I've used in the past to good results.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:50 PM
Lima0331
New User
Originally Posted by JWA
Okay so if I gather correctly the van runs and drives, yes?

If so do the gauges work, does the backlighting work, do the turn signal indicators illuminate? Are there ANY drivability issues such as transmission not shifting properly?

There would be value in at least connecting some sort of code scanner to the OBD-II test port if only to see if the ECM is sending info there.

Its possible your instrument cluster has failed, at least a few of its inner circuits. Assuming your chassis is indeed a 2000 gasoline I believe I have an unused but totally functioning cluster you could have for nothing more than shipping to your ZIP. (I'll have to dig around through my pile of parts but kinda sorta remember I have one not being used at the moment.)

The IC's are specific to certain years so if seeking one locally or online you need to make sure its compatible with your year and fuel type. eBay and LKQ Online are great sources I've used in the past to good results.

Thank you very much for the information! And yes, I would be more than happy to pay you for the cluster, if even for spare parts.

Here is more info for you.

-It is the 5.4V8 Gas (to the best of my knowledge)
- odometer reads 205K
-Drives, shifts fine. very smooth too actually.
-Brake lines are blown open. (happened parking in driveway)
-turn signals work
-seat belt buzzer does work if you dont buckle up.
-Back lights (white incandescent) work on dash.
- Gauges seem to work ok. Have only driven it 10 minutes. Think the engine temp may not be working. Seemed low when I drove it home.
- May have had an Engine and trans replacement 80K miles ago.

-"Brake light indicator" on dash does not illuminate in any key position (off, on, or running)
-"Service engine light" does does not illuminate (off, on, or running)
-airbag light does not illuminate (off, on, or running)
- High beam indicator does not illumninate (off, on, or running)

Also, any luck on a schematic? I guess I didn't provide a ton of info as I was going to review the simple things like is power going where it should, are connectors plugged in, ect...and dig in before bothered you guys. But I admire the excitement to help. lol.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:54 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Your schematic might be available online through AutoZone's site---they're free to view and download after creating one of those bogus "accounts". Good news is they don't bombard you with SPAM about products, sales and other constant promotions.

I'd recommend what's called an EVTM which is year/model specific---they include a comprehensive overview and sub-system schematics, some with component testing procedures quite different from the service manual. I've found all of mine through eBay, this one is a great price:

2000 Ford Econoline Club Wagon Van E Series Wiring Diagram Shop Repair Manual 00 | eBay

I'll dig through my parts and PM you with the results. Assuming you're in the continental USA shipping won't exceed $20. More later..........

Old 04-13-2016, 06:59 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Hey Lima0331---sent you an email through your user name here----you're too new to send PM's to---need 5 or more posts.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:57 PM
Lima0331
New User
Originally Posted by JWA
Your schematic might be available online through AutoZone's site---they're free to view and download after creating one of those bogus "accounts". Good news is they don't bombard you with SPAM about products, sales and other constant promotions.

I'd recommend what's called an EVTM which is year/model specific---they include a comprehensive overview and sub-system schematics, some with component testing procedures quite different from the service manual. I've found all of mine through eBay, this one is a great price:

2000 Ford Econoline Club Wagon Van E Series Wiring Diagram Shop Repair Manual 00 | eBay

I'll dig through my parts and PM you with the results. Assuming you're in the continental USA shipping won't exceed $20. More later..........

Hey JWA. Thanks again for the follow up and help on this one. I ended up finding the bulbs removed, so the cluster is OK.

Yup, that was my MOS 01-05..

Onto troubleshoot the ABS light and I think that she is ready for emissions. But that is a new thread. Thanks again for all of the support. It was a great experience on here.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:59 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
We're here to help, glad we contributed even a little something useful.