Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

multiple ELECTRICAL issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 03:39 PM
Bega B
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
multiple ELECTRICAL issue

Hello there i've been having eletrical problems whit my truck for several days, i could say months, but i havent found any electrical diagram or else on the web.

it is a 2008 escape xlt, 4 cyl 2.3 4L, automatic
I bougth it for a very low price and in regular conditions.

it came with no bttery and no relay's or fuses in the engine side compartment. it also apeared to have had some kind of police electronic equipment installed, i had to remove some parts of wire and aftermarket relays / switches.

engine and transmission are working ok, and in general it is functioning fine. except for the electrical issues described below:

there is no light in the transmission shifter (PRND21) i changed the little bulb and still no light, checked whit a multimeter and found there is no power at all.
the little button that deactivates stability control has no backlight neither. and Im not sure if that is normal but stering wheel media controls have no backlight too.
on the instrument panel cluster i have 3 lights alwas on:
airbag - it seem to be the pretensor system
engine - truck has not catalitic coverter so that light fault code is espected
tyre pressure - i replaced one sensor and havent reprogramed yet.

those are the issues i have identified, but there is more.

every time i start to drive, abs, parking brake and stability control lights are on all time, some times they go off after the third time i start the engine. but sometimes still on no mater what. scan tool showed these fault codes:
ABS 8L84-2c219-cj
u0155 instrument cluster: no comunication
u0100 ECM./PCM no comunication
u0001 power train data bus unespecified malfunction
c1277 stering angle sensor incorrect or missin info.
c1963 stability control injection light
c1236 rear left wheel speed sensor input signal absent
b1483 brake on off switch circuit....

that only in ABS section...

in instrument panel cluster there is
u0151 fault code that is no comunication RCM, u0100 ecm pcm no com.
and u0121 uknown fault code

recently, while driving, IPC " shuts down" all indicator needels go down, all lights on panel cluster go on and the lcd screen shows only this:
- - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - -

steering wheel goes hard as if i just turned off the switch . . .

whit the scan tool i can some times acces to abs and rcm modules and sometimes there is no com. at all.

​​​​​​tone rings are fine double cheked them

the logical tought is to asume there is an electrical issue involving IPC and ABS or RCM modules causing all those fault codes and lights to come.

im guessing/hopping it is about some bad conectors or shorts in the wiring

the thing is i have no idea where to look or how to test components...

any idea on where to look, what to do? or where can i find an electric diagram ??

sorry for the long post, and i will apreciate any help or directions..

thank you

Old 05-02-2017, 04:24 PM
simonsi
Senior User
I wrote a long post but the site seemed to lose it.

Long story short: It was cheap for a reason and needs troubleshooting by someone experienced with complex auto electrics (which I'm guessing you aren't).A missing battery and relays is not "regular condition", they were likely removed for safety.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:39 PM
Bega B
New User
Originally Posted by simonsi
I wrote a long post but the site seemed to lose it.

Long story short: It was cheap for a reason and needs troubleshooting by someone experienced with complex auto electrics (which I'm guessing you aren't).A missing battery and relays is not "regular condition", they were likely removed for safety.

Thank you simonsi, i knew at first that it was a car in bad conditions that is why i bought it, more like a project, honestly I was almost sure that the engine was going to be useless o something worst, i said "regular conditions" taking in count it is not crashed, rusted, or else, windows in good shape, seats and interior trim plastic are in good shape too, transmission runs smoothly and engine runs fine, no oil leaks, it starts at the firts key stroke and things like that, the electric issues are not interfiering with the car general functioning ... but i know for safety reasosn i shouldnt be driving with a malfunctioning restraint control module, for example, i just re scanned my escape and even when abs, and parking brake light are on, this time i dont have abs specific fault codes, i still have getting rcm no comunication code but not allways.. so im thinking that the problem comes from that module or its wiring, i m about to start unmounting thinghs and cheking wiring.... lets see what i find

any directons or experience on it will be very apreciated

Old 05-04-2017, 11:14 AM
tbone90
New User
all lights blinking

Hi
new at this
02 Ford Escape all the lights keep blinking while driving i'm asking, the locations of all the grounds around the vehicle so i can check connections

Old 05-04-2017, 11:21 AM
simonsi
Senior User
Originally Posted by tbone90
Hi
new at this
02 Ford Escape all the lights keep blinking while driving i'm asking, the locations of all the grounds around the vehicle so i can check connections
Best start your own thread, you will likely have more peeps see it.

Dashboard lights? Headlights? Which lights are blinking?

The car runs fine otherwise? Generally grounds aren't specific to a circuit so if you have a bad ground big problems happen like the engine shuts off.

The manual I have is a) at home about 4 days away and b) shows the grounds on the wiring diagram but doesn't show physical locations. Other than the large engine block to chassis ground (which would cause the engine to stop and charging light to come on), you would still need to hunt for them, could be tricky to find.

If we are talking the head/side lights then I'd check the column stalk light switch first.