General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Totally lost

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 11:48 PM
Jen
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Totally lost

Alright guys, I need to vent. I feel like my life is...whats a good word....directionless? I mean, today my mother casually mentioned me quitting school because I can't afford it and they can not afford to help me out. And the government...they say my parents make too much money to give me financial aid. Oddly, all that money does not go to me, it goes towards my dad, and in savings for when he has his transplant and will be outta work. AGHHHHH..... I've been searching for scholarships but I am starting to feel like it is a lost cause. Also, I still have no clue as to what I want to major in. So should I just stop going to school and work? Or just keep on taking random classes and work, and try to get the dough to pay for it? I mean all my friends around me know exactly what they want to do with their life. They have like their whole life planned out! And then there is me. I am just the typical, day by day person. And when it comes time to think ahead, I can't! What's that country that tells your what you are going to be doing for the rest of your life, and you have to do it? Maybe I should move there...

Sorry for this, I am just....lost!

Gig'em

Old 08-28-2002, 12:30 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Totally lost

Why not consider an apprenticeship program of some sort?

With this,you get paid while you're getting schooling.

The other alternative is to join the military,I understand there are great programs for people in the military.

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/2cents.gif

[font color=red]Dennis

FTE Assistant Administrator
[/font]

[link: motorhaven.autoanything.com|How YOU Can Support This Site]

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/canada_flag_animated.gif

[link:www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Mil1ion.html|My Website,"North Of The 49th"]

[link:www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html|Club FTE]
http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Minimorleytruck.JPG
[font color=blue]78 F-150 429CJ,Silver,Explorer Pkg.
64 1/2 Mustang Pre-World's Fair Car #8092
68-Mustang 289 2v-Sunlit Gold
[/font]

Old 08-28-2002, 01:13 AM
Brncomtb
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Totally lost

Just a thought...I know several people who i go to school with who have just returned to school after working for like 8-10 years. they did so mainly because of the reasons you described money and the fact that they had no idea what they wanted to do. They got jobs in this case in construction decided that that was what they wanted to do and are now back in school in the building science program with me. i have no idea what is best for you but maybe if you find some good opurtunites in the job market you should take them and see if its somehting you like and then return to school later on and get a degree.

JON

Old 08-28-2002, 01:36 AM
samhihn
Senior User
Totally lost

Hmmmm. I hear ya Jen. No no no you are not totally lost. The thing about aid for school, I know you're thinking isn't fair. Lot's of things aren't fair but then it's probably good to learn that it's not good to rely on the government to help you along through life anyway. There isn't much that govt does that you can't do better on your own.I know you may almost envy your friends who seem to have their lives all planned out. Must be nice, right? Try to look at it like this. Every day they wake up they can only see in one direction. There is only one path that they can follow. You, on the other hand, can look at any oportunity that comes your way. Life can be more of an adventure. Make your goal to be the best that you can be, to do the best that you can do. You can meet a new goal every day. That's not what I would call being "lost". Do what you can to stay in school even if you have to work. You're going to have to work anyway! Staying in school just keeps open oportunities that you won't find anywhere else. Let the counsilors or teachers at school know what you are trying to do. Usually they will go out of their way to help you get the help you need. You never know with your " right" attitude and their abilities you may be able to get more help to stay in school than you now imagine. Get close to these people. Be personal with them. There is nothing a bleedin heart liberal teacher likes more than saving someone from the " big bad world" by keeping them in school;-) Young lady, you are not lost! You are only now reaching a new place to begin! You are smart enough, young enough, and tough enough to do "just fine". Set a goal for every day you wake up. Then do the best that you can do that day. You'll be on your way. Remember the only person that you have control over in this world is yourself.When you don't take responsibility for yourself you give that control to someone else. Looking ahead 10 years seems like a hundred. Looking back ten years seems like yesterday. Heck, looking back 50 years seams like yesterday, jeesh. my best wishes...........

Old 08-28-2002, 03:11 AM
88B_RONC
Senior User
Totally lost

Well I am not sure how much help I can be but I am in the same boat as you and here is how I look at it. When I started school 3 years ago I knew exactly what I wanted to do, but now I am not so sure.

One thing we have going for us is that we are still young, I have some friends in my class who were enlisted in the Air Force before they came here and I will be younger when I graduate then they were when they first got here. Knowing this eased the pressure of thinking that I had to figure out the rest of my life right now and made me realize that there are alot of things that I still want to do before I get locked into one career path. I can't say what's best for you but I will have 5 years of service once I graduate and I am looking at those years as my time off to figure out whats next.
Whatever you decide just know you are not lost at all

Old 08-28-2002, 04:02 PM
brienobrien
Elder User
Totally lost

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 28-Aug-02 AT 05:04 PM (EST)]Jen: Please don't sound so down. I know this is a tough time but let's see if we can get through this together.

First: The most important situation you face right now is your Dad. Help him as much as you can, anyway you can.

Second: You can qualify for loans. Go to your student aid department at the Deans office. Ask for information on subsidized student loan programs. There usually are Federal programs available for a student from most average income levels. You borrow the money from a local bank, it is guaranteed by the Federal government, usually at a low interest rate, and you don't begin to pay them back until you leave school.

Third: Stay in school, even if it is only for one course. You will keep the school cap on and not lose the groove. You can still work full time, even on a second shift.

I did all of the above. Paid for my entire school trip, after my sophomore year. It can be done. I worked full time, second shift cooking in restaurants at night, and attended classes during the day. Paid rent, food, phone, gas insurance, tuiton, books, etc.
Granted this was 30 years ago, but you can still do it today. My daughter is doing it now. I help her in tuition & books but she could do it if she had to. You must have the will, the desire, the stamina, and the love of learning.

Forget about what you are "going to be". Concentrate on who you are now. John Lennon said: "Life is what happens to you while you are making other plans". Make it better one day at a time. Doing it one day at a time will allow you to focus all your energies upon what you want to accomplish on that particular day. You don't need to waste any energy on what may not happen, it does you no good. It all adds up in the big picture, although you may not recognize it as it is happening.

So put your faith and trust in yourself, and make it as best as you can. I know you can do it. Just don't let the clutter get in the way. Go to the Student Aid Department as soon as possible and find out about those loans.

In the undergraduate programs, get all of your undergraduate requirements done at a local community college whose credits will transfer to Texas A& M. That way you will only need to do major requirements at A & M. Much cheaper that way. This is exactly what my 21 year old daughter is doing here in CT. before she transfers to Eastern Ct State College, to train in teaching.

Good luck kid, and email if you need more information.

Gig"em Kid!

Old 08-28-2002, 04:59 PM
doodaa
Senior User
Totally lost

Everyone's different but I'd say deciding "what to do with your life" is seldom permanent, you'll do it over and over again as things change. I realize college isn't for everyone but if you've already strated why not finish it if you can? Find a way to scrape the money up and get a degree, there's lots of financial aid options out there and lots of dollars that go unclaimed every year. I wish I'd stayed the course in college. I don't regret joining the Army at all but 20 years later I still think staying in college would've done me the most good over the long run. Most of all, do something that makes you happy, nothing better than getting paid for something you'd do for free.

Old 08-28-2002, 05:09 PM
vettehauler
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Totally lost

Stay with school, take less classes if you have to, go part time. turn your 4 year plan into an 8 year plan. Join the Army (or reserves). Work another job to pay for it. take night classes,

Or...ugggg, sell your truck and get a cheapy to get you by for now.

Whatever you do, dont dropout. Once you do, you will end up working full time, and before you know it you will be too busy to go back. But in the back of your mind, you will have this desire, this unfulfilled desire to have done better (no matter how good it may already be at the time) and you will kick yourself for having given up on you.

harsh advise I know, but.....nothing worth having ever came easy.

goodluck in your choice

Drew

Old 08-28-2002, 05:18 PM
Rocking M
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Totally lost

Jen:

I don't know much about student loans, but I do know that if your parents still list you as a dependent it can be much more difficult to obtain help. I think that if your are no longer a dependent the loans are based upon your income rather than your parents. I could be totally wrong as I have never dealt with this issue.

As for knowing what you want to do in life, hmmm. I don't know how many girls I have gone out on dates with whose parents are footing the bills for five to six years of school that still didn't have a clue. Don't be one of these girls! If you're going to go for that four year degree finish it in four years. Believe it or not, the title of the degree doesn't mean a darn thing, it simply opens doors.

I'm not much help am I. I am only 24 and maybe that puts me closer to your age group. Another thing, my room mate at the University of North Dakota spent two years as an Aggie (I spent two as a Jayhawk) and his connections with other Aggies still help him over a year after graduation. It's your decision but don't waste over five years at a college.

Old 08-28-2002, 05:34 PM
mgazak
Laughing Gas
Totally lost

Jen, don't worry about it. If you don't know what you want to do, just take some "general studies" courses at your convience to get the basics down. Like the some others said, you could work full-time and take a couple courses on the side. However, DO NOT over work yourself. My parent are both college professors and they tell me about students who work a lot of hours and don't have time to study for their course work. Take your time in deciding what you want for the rest of life!

Hey, if all else fail, find a rich guy to marry

Good Luck

Old 08-28-2002, 08:18 PM
Jen
Senior User
Totally lost

That is what I am doing right now. I am taking general classes while working. I am also lookin into going to bartending school then getting a second job as a bartender. Who knows. I am still lookin at all my options though. Thanks for all the replies guys!!

Gig'em

Old 08-28-2002, 09:18 PM
67ford
New User
Totally lost

Jen, You've recieved some very good advise
throughout this thread. The best advise I
can give you is to stay in school and take
as many courses as you can afford even if
it's at a community college that will transfer
credits later. Work what you can and try for
loans to cover the rest. What ever you do
try not to let this temporary setback
ruin you plans for the future, It will work out.
This past year my wife and I were both laid
off from our jobs, we had about 18 yrs senoirity,
had just purchased a house, our daughter was on
the way. One year later, we are both employed
again, we kept the house,we have better jobs
than we did then, and we have the most precious
little girl you have ever seen. Granted we struggled
to keep things under control, had
to cut back on about everthing, and worried alot more
than we should have. I guess what i'm trying to say
is these thing have a way of working thenselves
out, most of the time better than we think they will.
And they make us stronger and better people
in the process. Keep your chin up, we are all wishing
you the best. Den

Old 08-29-2002, 01:27 AM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Totally lost

Consider joining the military. You get great life experiences and they'll pay for your education when you get out.
Dono

Old 08-29-2002, 09:11 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Totally lost