1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

where did all the dings and dents come from.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 03:28 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
where did all the dings and dents come from.

Its not really a question as I know the answer , but it's amazing just how many dings and dents can occur with the truck parked in the garage. Between me dropping tool's and parts, and family mishaps they can and did get there. After paint (4or5 years ago) the only dents that I really wanted to take care of was the bag of nuts effect that I have going on concerning the tail gate. OK now I have a new tail gate that I've been sitting on till better whether and health to paint, which is not far away. So I dusted off the truck and stood back and whoa, there they all were in all their glory. But it's really OK in the big picture of things. The cab corners were OK but could use replacement, and I found another hidden spot on the very bottom of the cowl corners. This will lead me to address these other issues that I was just too inexperienced to fix at the time. This truck still has enough work on it to keep me busy as long as long as I'm able. If it wasn't for FTE, and it's members professional grade skills, I wouldn't have a clue. I'm a lucky guy after all.
Rock that smile guys, it's contagious.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:38 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Sometimes I feel like I'm in the same boat, Jim, things that were limited by skill and/or budget 10 yrs ago that could now be addressed. Not sure it's worth it? (in time or money)

Old 03-17-2016, 08:13 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
I get help with dings and dents from family members who aren't as concerned about my things as I am. They see a crappy old truck with crappy old paint so they don't seem to care what they slam down on a fender, etc.

When the big scratch appeared on the the saddlebag on my Roadkking I was finally able to track the culprit down to either "wasn't me" or "nobody"

Agh

Old 03-17-2016, 08:52 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"When the big scratch appeared on the the saddlebag on my Roadkking I was finally able to track the culprit down to either "wasn't me" or "nobody"
Wait a minute I thought they lived in my house! Those characters get around!

Old 03-17-2016, 09:03 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
When we lived on the farm my in- laws would come over to do their farm work during the day. Many times I'd come home at night and find that they decided to do some cleaning in the shed and would pile crap in the back do my F-2 or panel truck or lean stuff up against them. To them it's just an old truck. Their farm mentality was why would anyone want to own a vehicle older than five years old, and if it is then it's just an old truck. My father-in-law's lack of concern for my vehicles didn't stop with my old trucks. He drove into my newer daily driver with a tractor ride implement numerous times and never tell me about it.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:13 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
This is a lot of folks attitude after they T-bone a nice old pickup, in a moment of distraction while they are downloading or watching a movie or something. "Well it's just an old truck."

Old 03-17-2016, 09:59 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
This is a lot of folks attitude after they T-bone a nice old pickup, in a moment of distraction while they are downloading or watching a movie or something. "Well it's just an old truck."
Back in college many years ago, I had a '53 F-100 that most of us would die for now, but only cost me $250. Just an original, almost rust-free "old truck". I stopped for a red light, and some guy in a newer compact rolled into me. I got out and looked, his grille was hooked on my trailer hitch, and he'd bent my bumper a bit. When I suggested we trade info, he shrugged and said, "It's just an old truck, who cares?" and got back in his car. Really pissed me off, so I got back in and just took off, which yanked his grille off onto the ground. I just kept going while he scraped up the pieces.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:26 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Back in college many years ago, I had a '53 F-100 that most of us would die for now, but only cost me $250. Just an original, almost rust-free "old truck". I stopped for a red light, and some guy in a newer compact rolled into me. I got out and looked, his grille was hooked on my trailer hitch, and he'd bent my bumper a bit. When I suggested we trade info, he shrugged and said, "It's just an old truck, who cares?" and got back in his car. Really pissed me off, so I got back in and just took off, which yanked his grille off onto the ground. I just kept going while he scraped up the pieces.
Now that's funny right there

Old 03-17-2016, 11:54 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
God Bless You.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:21 AM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have been tempted to stop and say, "Hey, at least it's a newer car. You should be able to pick up a replacement at the dealer."

Old 03-18-2016, 01:13 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
"Its just an old truck or car"? What goes around comes around. For those who
think that way-they better put their seat belts on the wheel chair when they retire.
I would like around a 10yr old black Crown Vic. and that aint going to happen not
on a fixed income. Retirement ain't about fishin poles and vacations= property taxes
cat food razor blades Burger King sucks me dry , my check is gone before the ink dries.
So my trusty 85 Lincoln rolls on. Is that clear as mud !!

Old 03-18-2016, 01:24 AM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
I get help with dings and dents from family members who aren't as concerned about my things as I am. They see a crappy old truck with crappy old paint so they don't seem to care what they slam down on a fender, etc.

When the big scratch appeared on the the saddlebag on my Roadkking I was finally able to track the culprit down to either "wasn't me" or "nobody"

Agh
Yup, I get the "Iduhno"......

Old 03-18-2016, 04:20 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend

the work on my 53 as once again come to a halt , and my wife has once again decided to stack wood on the front frame rails and furniture and other assorted tings on the rear rails . thankfully the body work has not been completed ( as if it ever will !!! ) . i though have been the most guilty of denting it up especially when i was driving it daily . i used it to push other vehicles around and pull them , hauled all sorts of stuff in the bed including other cabs etc .then there was the time i ran into the two 390's i had sitting on the right side of the garage .................. now there was the time i came out and found on of the grandkid's bikes laying against my beater 13 fiat ........... this was a new car and i was not happy at all !!!!!!!

Old 03-18-2016, 08:03 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 853 Likes on 771 Posts
There is a dent fairy......or gremlin.

Once , after I just finished painting my 62 Chev Impala convert. I parked it at a mall. Way away from any other vehicles. Come out about 1 1/2 hours later and both doors had little dents in them !@##$$%

Old 03-18-2016, 08:31 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Name:  gremmy.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  3.4 KB does he resemble this fella GLR ????????????

Quick Reply: where did all the dings and dents come from.