Sponsored by:

Stupid C4 question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 06:55 PM
risingstar
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid C4 question

I recently decided it was time to seek out another C4 transmission for my 67. While I have some mechanical ability, I was going to source a used C4 transmission and have someone else install it (bad back here). I went and took a look at a tranny early today. The seller claims it was rebuilt last year. I am not familiar with how C4s work. During the inspection, I tried to turn the torque converter and it was very stiff. The seller claims he installed new pump gears and the converter was new. I removed the TC and I turned the smaller input shaft and it did turn with some effort, again stiff. While turning the input shaft, the seller seemed perplexed that the output shaft did not turn. I was under the impression that the input shaft turning SHOULDN'T move the output shaft when it was out of the car. I then turned the output shaft and THAT DID turn the input shaft. Am I wrong? Please correct me if I am, thanks.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:30 AM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
stoopid Q?

Like they say, none R stupid cept those unasked.
I'll learn too.
I have a C4 to rebuild ("bronkoise") and haven't seen this issue detailed (the shoulds when done right). I do remember (correctly I believe) the bronk C4 is the only one that's pan filled the entire 'run' of production.
I will suggest the 'stang sites on the web combined w/one or 2 of our (FTE) truck forums ("small, light duty 100F/150F" '60 - '80s as they were so equipped). U might become FTE's bronk C4 expert ! Not a bad thing cuz these were the least parasitic (of power) of the autos.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:11 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by risingstar
I recently decided it was time to seek out another C4 transmission for my 67. While I have some mechanical ability, I was going to source a used C4 transmission and have someone else install it (bad back here). I went and took a look at a tranny early today. The seller claims it was rebuilt last year. I am not familiar with how C4s work. During the inspection, I tried to turn the torque converter and it was very stiff. The seller claims he installed new pump gears and the converter was new. I removed the TC and I turned the smaller input shaft and it did turn with some effort, again stiff. While turning the input shaft, the seller seemed perplexed that the output shaft did not turn. I was under the impression that the input shaft turning SHOULDN'T move the output shaft when it was out of the car. I then turned the output shaft and THAT DID turn the input shaft. Am I wrong? Please correct me if I am, thanks.
Go HERE for a discussion about this.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:05 AM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
double post

risingstar -
Here's hoping you did not post this Q on more than one forum. It gets quite confusing if doing so.
When our 'admin' catches it they often transfer the incorrect one(s) to the best forum but until then it's trouble for the poster and others responding…

I can understand Y you'd not want a second even if only $50 for one...