1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1955 stock manual 3-spd column rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 08:09 PM
Southtarnation
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1955 stock manual 3-spd column rebuild

Ive combed the forum for days trying to find the answer to this, I know its there but Im opting to take the easy way out and just ask.

Im adding PS to my 55 using the CPP 4000 box, stock 3-spd manual column and there is a grant steering wheel with an adapter on the top.

Starting from the steering wheel I next have the shaft nut, then I remove the Grant adapter, exposing the inner steering shaft. removed the blinker switch and some other misc stuff like the blinker handle.

I ended up cutting the shaft at the manual steering box cause Im doing this on a set of ramps and could not remove it from the bottom. I have the column and shifter shaft removed with the inner shaft free and removed from the outer column. The only thing that was left was at the top of the inner shaft was the "Steering Column Inner Worm Shaft Upper Bearing Spring" and then the "Steering Column Top Bearing Retainer Sleeve". It was black and the new one from Midfifties is white but the same shape. Whatever else was on the shaft decentigated. I found lots of black shard in the cup when i removed the blinker switch. Remnants of something plastic?.

I cant find an exact diagram of my column and year is my biggest issue.

I have also ordered from MF the "Steering Column Top Bearing" Which I think is the next item on the shaft but do not know its orientation yet.

It would help if midfifties used actual part numbers! It also doesn't help that the names of some of these bearings/bushings are the so close.

Im trying to figure out if I need:

*Upper Steering Shaft Bushing - 51A-3517-A (available at Dennis Carpenter and MF)
or/and a
*Upper Worm Bearing Race - B-3552 (available at C&G Ford Parts)
or/and a
*Worm Bearing Race - 8A-3553 (available at C&G Ford Parts)
or/and a
Steering Shaft Support Bearing - no part number (available at Midfifties)

I already have x2 (upper and lower?) "Worm Gear Roller Bearing And Cage" from Midfifties but I don't think I will need/use them on my application?

Thanks so much for any guidance!

I dropped my shifter and column off at a machinist and noted just before I did that there was some bearing fallen down sideways in the column tube. Didnt have any way to get it and was in a hurry so i left him to get it out. I think it was either a "Worm Gear Roller Bearing And Cage" or a "Steering Column Top Bearing" bit it could have been a worm gear bearing , IDK.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:28 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
You should get the Parts CD, it really helps.

(edited -- see Post #4 below)

Old 12-18-2015, 09:47 PM
Southtarnation
New User
Yeah, where do I pick up a parts cd?

My issue seems to be with part 3517. Whats with the arrow pointing to 3517 and part 3509? Is 3509 the outer column?

I have part 21A-3517 (Fitment: 1942 thru 1974),

which appears to be the same as in the kit p/n B-3517-K (fitment: 53-56 F100).

Im wondering about/if I also or instead need p/n 51A-3517-A (Fitment: 53-56 F100).

Kindest Regards.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:07 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Parts CD here: 1948-56 Ford Truck Master Parts Catalog CD - HiPo Parts Garage

I found the 53-on column, see below

Yes, 3509 is "tube and bearing assembly", in other words, sold together if desired.

In the parts books, the nomenclature " 48/ " means "48 and on". Are you getting those 3517-A etc numbers from Mid-Fifties' catalog?

Hopefully someone with a mid-fifties will chime in, preferably with a pic of it apart.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:34 AM
Southtarnation
New User
No, Mid Fifties doesnt have the oem part numbers on their website. Im using C & G Ford Parts and Dennis Carpenter sites.

From the DC site:

Trying to figure out if I need the part above...

I have the following parts that I ordered individually from Mid Fifties:

It looks like all the other bearing and bushing for the steering column are not going to be used with the new PS box. However I think I will need a bearing at the cut end to support the outer column on the steering shaft. I wonder if I can reallocate one of the other bearings for that purpose?

Old 12-19-2015, 12:10 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
At least on 48-52's, there are no bearings other than the one at the top for the shaft itself. I think that rubber-with-bronze bushing is made for people like you who are cutting their tube for a PS setup, and it goes near the bottom of the tube to support the shaft. The B-3517-K kit will take care of the top end. Surprising that it has plastic tho?

The stuff in the "you might also need" box is all for the gearbox itself, you don't need it.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:39 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are planing on keeping the manual shift linkage, you should know its a very tight fit between the box and floor as The CPP box is slightly longer and you need a couple in between. Fitting the supplied rag joint is not even near possible If you want the manual shift linkage.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:42 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
This is my thaughts on modifying steering column lower end to acommodate the manual shift linkage

Planing on doing version 4

DinnerHill SpeedShop: Steering column modifications, design stage.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:28 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Good stuff, Jim, but are grease fittings in EU straight threads? Here they are generally NPT. Not very good steel, either.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:35 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Good stuff, Jim, but are grease fittings in EU straight threads? Here they are generally NPT. Not very good steel, either.
They are available in both NPT and mm standard. M standard (M4, M6, M8, M10 etc) are all straight. But the steel is as you say not very good, but I am planing on complement the looking function with 2 pcs of hardened set screws as well.

That will be a fun part of the build to manufacture and bring together as soon as I get the CAB back on the frame

Old 12-19-2015, 07:13 PM
Southtarnation
New User
Originally Posted by jimcar-9
If you are planing on keeping the manual shift linkage, you should know its a very tight fit between the box and floor as The CPP box is slightly longer and you need a couple in between. Fitting the supplied rag joint is not even near possible If you want the manual shift linkage.

I guess its whats not said in the description for the cpp 400 "kit" from Mid Fifteies...
"If using a stock column use our rag joint number: JR730-75R
If using an aftermarket GM style column (Ididit, Classic, Flaming River) use our rag joint number: JR730-1DD"

So yeah, I can use my stock column, so long as its NOT COLUMN SHIFT?!? son of a @#$@#$%@$#%, lol. I take it you have tried and found this issue out? and then you did what?

I guess I better call the machinist and not repair the stock shifter shaft pin hole. Gotta remove the Rag joint I also ordered. Return the shifter arm bushings I just ordered AND now buy an aftermarket column, floor shifter, tear apart the interior-the rest of the way.

I was going to ask about a wide belt pulley for the saginaw pump as it came with a v-belt pulley. Together in a kit that said it fit the 55 f100 y-block. It seams that after 50+ years they have this @##$ figured out? I guess the FJ toyota guys need wide belt pulleys for saginaw pumps too. Some of them refer to "MAF" as a source but I cant figure out what that is even with googles help. Maybe I hear tell that a volvo 240 PS pump pulley may work...

Old 12-19-2015, 07:26 PM
Southtarnation
New User
Originally Posted by jimcar-9
This is my thaughts on modifying steering column lower end to acommodate the manual shift linkage

Planing on doing version 4

DinnerHill SpeedShop: Steering column modifications, design stage.
Make it, Ill buy it! And Ill call Every supplier and demand they include this in their so called kits to make them complete kits.

Are you going with an electric pump or did you figure out the pulley situation? I read on th Fj forums that some of them just switch to running a narrow belt on their wide pulleys. Seems hokey to me.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:30 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Southtarnation
Make it, Ill buy it! And Ill call Every supplier and demand they include this in their so called kits to make them complete kits.

Are you going with an electric pump or did you figure out the pulley situation? I read on th Fj forums that some of them just switch to running a narrow belt on their wide pulleys. Seems hokey to me.
You are more than welcome to buy a set of these parts, but the thing is this is just the preliminary layout, I need to go thru all tyr dimensions one more time once I get the cab back on the frame, I guess that will be sometime this spring If everything goes according to plan, we all know how often that happends :-)

I am using a stock eaton y block setup Power steering pump that will get the Power from the dual crank pulley I found on ebay.

Here you can read all what I have done so far regarding Power steering

DinnerHill SpeedShop: Power steering

Here is the dual crank pulley

DinnerHill SpeedShop: NOS 2 belt Harmonic Balancer, Ebay find.