1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Kevin Kanzler
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I buy it?

Hey guys, I'm looking at a 2002 f150. It's got the V6 with a manual and 4x4. I believe it is a SB (front angle pictures made it hard to tell)
Well that's about all the 'good' (except for the price.
The fuel pump is not getting power. I found another thread that gave good information about it though. They said it needs a part for the rear drive shaft (I could only think of a u joint, I'll ask them)
And something weird that talks about the cats (like a lot of CL stuff poor description)
The price: $250.
Is it worth looking at? Is there a way I can hotwire the fuel pump to try and get it to start? It scares me not being able to hear it run because that can mean $$$$
I wouldn't plan on keeping it long. Maybe a few months until I upgrade to a 250, hoping to make some money on it to help. But these years are hard to sell.
It looks like it may have been sitting. Odometer is at 191,000.
Well I think that's enough rambling thanks for any input!

Old 12-03-2015, 06:55 PM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
well ...you could give it spray of starting fluid down the throttle body and then try to start...IF it lights off and runs briefly, then you know it fuel delivery related. IF... it doesn't start, then it could be anything.

with the key on...is the security light flashing rapidly??

Old 12-03-2015, 07:43 PM
Kevin Kanzler
Freshman User
Originally Posted by enriched&beyound
well ...you could give it spray of starting fluid down the throttle body and then try to start...IF it lights off and runs briefly, then you know it fuel delivery related. IF... it doesn't start, then it could be anything.

with the key on...is the security light flashing rapidly??
I couldn't tell you, haven't looked at yet to make a true decision. It's an hour away so I'm trying to see if its worth the time and money.
That's a good idea with the starting fluid, unfortunately I don't think that's enough time to check for major engine damage (valve/rod knocking) but still a good idea for checking the fuel issue.
Don't want to buy it and lose too bad, goals to have a truck for awhile and sell for some $ (towing ks very important to me, and the 3-4k these things have listed. Wont come close to cutting it)

Old 12-03-2015, 07:45 PM
Kevin Kanzler
Freshman User
Would the flashing security light mean the PATS is stopping it? I doubt it has pats I think it's a low trim, and even the lariat early 03 f250 I've worked on didn't have it. Thanks for your help so far.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:48 AM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin Kanzler
Would the flashing security light mean the PATS is stopping it? I doubt it has pats I think it's a low trim, and even the lariat early 03 f250 I've worked on didn't have it. Thanks for your help so far.
The security light can blink slowly....& go off after the truck is running. Hard to know if it doesn't run. But if it flashes fast, like on & off every second...then there is issue with PATS, from my understanding.

If you're looking to tow...then the v6 isn't for you and your probably better off investing toward the f250. Not that you couldn't tow with the v6...it just has limitations. If your just dealing with say a 5'x10' single axle trailer for a 12-18hp lawn mower, it would probably do very well.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:47 PM
Kevin Kanzler
Freshman User
Yeah the towing is too low for me. I can probably snag my dad's excursion (probably not the 350) when I need to tow (like I do now)
Really looking at it for money potential. Fix a few things, make it look good and make a few hundred or a grand of it. (Unless I get attached and make it a toy for off-road)
The rear yolk is bad according to the owner. Should I be worried about the rear diff?
Tranny? Engine? It is at 190k.
Thanks for the info about the security. If I look at it (depends on the info above) I'll definitely check that out.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:25 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
With the multitude of problem , he might have trashed it out.......... but at $250. you can get that much from selling the bed or tires/ rims.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:47 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
you could even make money scrapping it for $250.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:19 PM
Kevin Kanzler
Freshman User
Sounds like it's pretty safe then because I can probably get the money out of it from parting then scraping.
I searched and still can't find much about the engine/tranny longevity. Heard that hydrolocking can be a problem.
I really don't want to buy it if all I'm going to do is scrap to recover losses though. I'm looking at a few other options. Found some dodges I could fix, use and sell pretty quick too. Kills me being die hard ford though.
Looking to bring down to MD (I've seen cl trucks fly off the listings there) to sell (have family there)
Sorry to be full of questions/instant but I didn't even think of scraping for some reason, guess I didn't think I'd get enough $ from them to cover it.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:30 AM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
scrap price for a truck is under $100. You would have to sell the parts to make any money. Lot of labor and posting involved to get there. Engine and trans are big $$ items. If you don't know the condition, they are not worth much.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:37 AM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would expect that if you just get it running you could make money. Unless it's really trashed it's hard to imagine how to go wrong, but you will have to see it first.

Like a previous poster said, pour a jigger of gas in the throttle body and see if it will spit and cough. If it does, you know that the problem is fuel related.

Where do people find bargains? I've never found one in my life.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Kevin Kanzler
Freshman User
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan
I would expect that if you just get it running you could make money. Unless it's really trashed it's hard to imagine how to go wrong, but you will have to see it first.

Like a previous poster said, pour a jigger of gas in the throttle body and see if it will spit and cough. If it does, you know that the problem is fuel related.

Where do people find bargains? I've never found one in my life.
You only find bargains when its something you don't need/want. I'd love a nice 250 diesel 7.3 4x4 stick lb xc. Never seen a good price, and missed out on the two lowest .
To be fair to the price, these model f1's don't sell well near me at all. I would definitely sell it in MD.
I'm not so sure I feel like pulling the lex-*** off the trailer though. So if I get rid of that, I'll really consider. If not then I'll be busy anyways.
Concerns me what could be wrong if they thought 3 repairs to it would be too much though.