Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Lights & Hard Shifts

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 08:17 PM
Brain's 97 Diesel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash Lights & Hard Shifts

New to me F-150, Flareside, 4x4 (push buttons on dash & auto hubs), aod, 5.8L, reg cab, has full gage pkg (tach, oil, alt, fuel, temp & speedo), aftermarket alarm (butcher install).
The following problems have occurred: Airbag/SRS light blinks code 32 (driver side airbag circuit high resistance or open), OD light blinks (didn't notice a pattern), no horn, no interior lights, no speedometer, no odometer, all other gages work, hard shift 1-2 & 2-3, no 3-OD shift, trans fluid red & full.
Pulled and checked all fuses (none blown but replaced a few w/ correct amp), pulled apart dash & started tracing wires for alarm (going to remove alarm & rewire factory harness), no signs of an accident ever.
HELP!!

Last edited by Brain's 97 Diesel; 11-29-2015 at 09:35 PM. Reason: forgot gages
Old 11-30-2015, 05:37 AM
Bird-Dog 250
Elder User
By all means remove the alarm! As for everything else I can't be much help but My 97 did have a speedo not working. A fuse is not your apparent problem but with mine the guy before me had switched the interior light fuse so the interior light/ bed light could be shut off for doors being open for long periods of time. When this switch was in the off position the speedo would not work and the trans did all kinds of wierd stuff. I was told there is a speed sensor somewhere that talks to the speedo and the trans and together they make it all work. This could be a place to start looking.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:41 AM
Brain's 97 Diesel
Senior User
Thanks for ANY advice. Others???

Old 12-01-2015, 05:33 AM
Brain's 97 Diesel
Senior User
I borrowed a Snapon scan tool from a buddy to read trans codes, now I'm having trouble finding the OBD port. Going to borrow an air bag simulator from another buddy to bypass the clock spring under the dash to confirm the clockspring is bag. Any other suggestions??? In process of removing alarm.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:11 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Brain's 97 Diesel
aod, 5.8L,.... OD light blinks (didn't notice a pattern)
First, we need to figure out what you really have.

The AOD was never mated to the 5.8L in the F-150. Also, the AOD doesn't HAVE an OD light. I'm pretty sure you have an E4OD. If I knew the year of the truck it would help. There is also a data decal in the driver's door opening. Under TR it will have a letter. "E" means E4OD.

Before tearing everything apart you need to know what codes have been stored. A cheap OBD-I reader will work on this. You can also use THIS method.

Once we have the codes we can direct you towards what's wrong.

I borrowed a Snapon scan tool from a buddy to read trans codes, now I'm having trouble finding the OBD port.
It's under the hood. Look at the link, above. It has a picture of what the connector looks like. It doesn't look at all like an OBD-II connector.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:38 PM
Brain's 97 Diesel
Senior User
Sorry, didn't realize I forgot the year when I originally posted. It's a 1995 F150 Flareside. I'm not a transmission guy & thought AOD meant all Automatic Over Drive transmissions. Yes, I believe it is a E4OD as the pan "looks" the same as the Trans in my 97 F250 Diesel 4X4. Also thought the OBD port was under dash like my 97. I will go get the info off the door tag & post what I find (poring down rain right now). Thought it had OBD II but it doesn't, it has OBD I? or EEC-IV under hood and the scan tool I borrowed wont hook up to it. I stopped @ auto parts store & they had a scanner that would plug into it but says on pkg that it will NOT do 1995 Truck w/ 5.8L & Auto trans??? Found my Haynes manual & it shows how to retrieve codes w/ jumpers & volt-ohm meter. Will try that when weather clears. Thanks Mark for info.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:09 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Check fuses #8 and #18(in cab), those fuses supply power to dome light AND PSOM(speedo) memory. Fuse #18 is switched power to PSOM and few other things like SRS(airbag) controller, 4x4 control?...

If your dome light works then the PSOM should be getting memory power to it

Did you also check the BIG fuses under the hood in the relay/fuse box? One or more could be bad.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:11 PM
Brain's 97 Diesel
Senior User
Rain let up some. Checked door jam TR is an E (E4OD). Jumped OBD I, w/ engine cold & not running, I retrieved the following KOEO Codes:
116 - ECT outside test limits during KOEO or KOER tests.
636 - TOT sensor voltage out of self-test range.
114 - ACT outside test limits during KOEO or KOER tests.
And the following Continuous Codes:
212 - Loss of IDM input to PCM or SPOUT circuit grounded.
452 - Insufficient input from vehicle speed sensor.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:17 PM
Brain's 97 Diesel
Senior User
Eddiec1564, I checked all the fuses in pass and engine comp, and all are good, there were a few w/ the wrong amp (ie: 20A s/h/b 15A) that I replaced w/ correct amp. 8 & 18 were both good, but don't have dome, map, or bed lights, no speedo or odo.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:45 AM
Brain's 97 Diesel
Senior User
OK, so I've been looking for what some of the codes mean & I've failed. ECT = engine coolant temp sensor, IDM = injector driver module, IAT = intake air temp sensor, PCM = "computer"/primary control module, ACT = ?, TOT = ?, SPOUT = ?, PSOM = ?.
I'm no a computer guy so pardon my ignorance but I don't want to throw money at it OR pay someone else to replace or diagnose parts if I am able to do it. Trying to figure out if I should keep it & fix it, turn it over to a mechanic & pay to have it fixed or drop back & punt (sell it & recoup some of my $$$).
Thanks all for the help.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:37 AM
DL126
New User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Acronym help ...
Guts and goo

Old 12-04-2015, 08:07 PM
Brain's 97 Diesel
Senior User
Thank you, thank you, thank you! More to read but at least it explains things like I needed. BTW Thanks.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:03 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
116 - ECT outside test limits during KOEO or KOER tests.
Engine Coolant Temperature outside test limits during Key On Engine Off or Key On Engine Running tests. You ran it cold, it's supposed to be warmed up.
636 - TOT sensor voltage out of self-test range.
Transmission Oil Temperature. You ran it cold, it's supposed to be warmed up.
114 - ACT outside test limits during KOEO or KOER tests.
Air Charge Temperature. You ran it cold, it's supposed to be warmed up.
212 - Loss of IDM input to PCM or SPOUT circuit grounded.
Injector Driver Module (only for diesels.) SPark OUTput (gas engines.) This is the circuit that controls the spark advance. You need to fix this one.
452 - Insufficient input from vehicle speed sensor.
This will cause all of your transmission problems. This is your biggest problem.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:49 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
The 212 code most of the time someone replaced the ICM with the wrong one. They installed a gray one and you need the black one to get the IDM to the PCM.

The 452 sounds like a power or ground problem.
Make sure you have a good ground from the NEG post of the battery to the fender the Body ground. This is the most important ground on your truck along with the engine block ground. The frame does not need to be grounded as it is only used for trailer brakes return and trailer lights.

PSOM: Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module.
ICM: Ignition Control Module.
IDM: Ignition Diagnostic Monitor.
PSOM: Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module.
IAT: Intake Air Temperature. (ACT acronym not used in 95 and replaced by IAT)
TFT: Transmission Fluid Temperature. (acronym was TOT in older trucks)
SPOUT: Spark Output. (Spark Output, Desired spark timing information sent from the PCM to the ICM)

The black ICM so you can get the IDM information to the PCM:

/

Old 12-05-2015, 07:54 AM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
.... aftermarket alarm (butcher install).
The following problems have occurred: Airbag/SRS light blinks code 32 (driver side airbag circuit high resistance or open), OD light blinks (didn't notice a pattern), no horn, no interior lights, no speedometer, no odometer, all other gages work, hard shift 1-2 & 2-3, no 3-OD shift, trans fluid red & full.
HELP!!

With all fuses good, I think its time to pull out the instrument cluster and see what's behind it with the wiring. Looks like the butched alarm install munged a few wires around the steering column and/or behind the cluster.

Without the speedo(PSOM) sending speed info to the ECU you will get hard shifts and OD light blinking along with the VSS error code.

Quick Reply: Dash Lights & Hard Shifts