6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Excessive Exhaust Smell in Cab During Extended Idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 11:25 PM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Excessive Exhaust Smell in Cab During Extended Idle

2015 6.7 KR... when idling for long periods of time the cab starts to smell like exhaust.

I've also noticed when standing outside the truck with it idling (not in regen), it freaking stinks, bad! My 2003 never had this problem and idled for days (literally).

Possibly leaky gasket here or just the nature of the 6.7?

Old 11-28-2015, 12:44 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Is this with the air/heat (no recirc) turned on or all of that off? I know with my truck, the recirculation option will only stay enabled for about 10 minutes with the heat. So if the truck is idling any longer than that and the recirc turns off, the cab fills with the smell of the exhaust. Unsure if that's changed with 2015. If you have air with recirc on, cab should be fine.

If you mean the smell doesn't smell like diesel, that is how the new emissions (SCR) diesels smell. It doesn't smell good and certainly not what your 7.3L smelled like.
In fact, if anyone smells the old diesel smell on a stock 6.7L, that would be an issue.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:39 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,459 Likes on 1,041 Posts
why the excessive idling? Just burning fuel unless you are trying to stay warm.

It also produces more soot, requiring more regens...which burns more fuel.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:22 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Exhaust smell inside the cab is not normal. However on a new truck you can get a hot exhaust smell that might waft into the cab during or right after a regen.

That said, you should NEVER subject these motors to extended idling. It's only going to cause big problems down the road. Modern emissions systems on diesels do not handle extended idling very well at all.

If you're already subjecting it to a massive amount of idling, you may already be having early signs of emissions problems if you're getting unusual smells. Or maybe there's a defect.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:54 PM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
Exhaust smell inside the cab is not normal. However on a new truck you can get a hot exhaust smell that might waft into the cab during or right after a regen.

That said, you should NEVER subject these motors to extended idling. It's only going to cause big problems down the road. Modern emissions systems on diesels do not handle extended idling very well at all.

If you're already subjecting it to a massive amount of idling, you may already be having early signs of emissions problems if you're getting unusual smells. Or maybe there's a defect.
Come tell me not to idle my truck when it's -20*F outside.

Ford idled trucks at -40*F for a couple weeks. Posted video on youtube about the testing.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:36 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure about the exhaust smell in the cab, haven't experienced that, but before I deleted mine, it definitely had a different smell. I assume it has something to do with the Urea.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:48 AM
Rattler1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe the little flaps between the back of the cab and the bed are stuck open.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:12 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a youtube video on this. In fact I have to do my '14 because I get the smell in my cab too. Basically you have to tighten a nut on the right side, its kind of hard to get too. It seems Ford forgot to tighten this nut on the assembly line.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:24 AM
_red rocket_
Senior User
Originally Posted by dualwheels66
There is a youtube video on this.
Yep. There is also a recall addressing this but don't have the specific info on hand at the moment. Anyway, take a look at this video. I know there are more videos on this subject but this is the first one I found with limited time looking...

Old 11-30-2015, 06:35 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by _red rocket_
Yep. There is also a recall addressing this but don't have the specific info on hand at the moment. Anyway, take a look at this video. I know there are more videos on this subject but this is the first one I found with limited time looking...
That's about as crappy as any vid I've ever seen posted on You Tube. But it at least gives me an idea of what to look for as I get a little whiff of exhaust occasionally that i really don't care for.
Thanks

Maybe I'll find the TSB too

Old 11-30-2015, 07:16 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 90pioneer
Come tell me not to idle my truck when it's -20*F outside.

Ford idled trucks at -40*F for a couple weeks. Posted video on youtube about the testing.
It's your truck, feel free to take or ignore advice. But don't bash advice given.

Marketing videos aren't always representative of real-world results. Keep that in mind when you have to replace your DPF far sooner than the stated service life.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:19 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,459 Likes on 1,041 Posts
Or, you make excessive amounts of oil and very frequent regens and a clogged EGR cooler to boot.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:39 AM
PasoF450
Freshman User
I had this issue and it turns out that two bolts had worked themselves loose on the exhaust and was allowing a little leakage. Go inspect, hopefully you will spot the problem.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:27 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I found a couple TSB on this issue - not necessarily easy fixes though as the vid shows

11-6-22
and
10-22-9

.....and found here at least on the '11s: Fulltext TSBs - Ford-Trucks.com

Old 11-30-2015, 10:11 PM
_red rocket_
Senior User
Originally Posted by Irelands child
That's about as crappy as any vid I've ever seen posted on You Tube.
Yes, agreed on the vid. And Doh! I didn't bother to look at the 6.7L Tech folder sticky as there is a thread mention in there about the cab exhaust smell. I had the same thing happen in mine, noticed it was worse when I was backing my truck into my driveway. I found the same issue where I needed to tighten that nut and the cab exhaust smell ceased.

Exhaust in Cab?

Quick Reply: Excessive Exhaust Smell in Cab During Extended Idle