Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Factory engine block heater

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 05:20 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Huh, now that's interesting. Just took a look at the order guide and found this:

Looks like if you live in Alaska or the upper midwest it's standard, all other states need not apply. Very interesting.

I've never seen one work that way, but the only ones I've had before were on diesel models. But every one I've ever owned or read about is comprised of a heating element that replaces one of the block casting plugs and is immersed in coolant. I'll have to do some more digging, but I'm assuming that's what this one is.
Wonder if this is true for the 2013-14s?

Old 11-27-2015, 06:59 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by brokenleg
Wonder if this is true for the 2013-14s?
Looks like it. From the 2013 Order Guide:

Originally Posted by 2013 Order Guide
ENGINE BLOCK HEATER
Standard and only available in the following states: AK, MN, ND,
SD, MT, WI and WY. Other states available via FCSD.
NOTE: (Fleet Only) – Engine block heater (41H) available in all
states with valid FIN code.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:20 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Looks like it. From the 2013 Order Guide:
Well, that's why my 2013 has a block heater. (It was sold new in WI) I live in IL. I bought the truck in WI. it spent its winters in AZ. I do not plan to drive this one in the salt.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:54 PM
speedsauto
Cross-Country
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
They are common here in Northern Minnesota, The Eco uses a immersion type heater, It screws into the block cooling jacket, most are 400 watts on gas engines,
Most of the newer cars are also equipped with a thermostatic cord so the block heater won't turn on until the cord temp is around 5 to 10 degrees, I suppose it saves energy.
Here it Zero-Starts catalog, this is the brand most use up here.
Phillips & Temro Online Parts Catalog

Old 11-28-2015, 07:05 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by speedsauto
Most of the newer cars are also equipped with a thermostatic cord so the block heater won't turn on until the cord temp is around 5 to 10 degrees, I suppose it saves energy.
Very interesting speedsauto, I didn't know something like that was out there. I just checked the owner's guide, and it looks like these don't use a thermostat.

Originally Posted by 2015 Owner's Guide, p 162
Using the Engine Block Heater
Make sure the receptacle terminals are
clean and dry prior to use. Clean them with
a dry cloth if necessary.
The heater uses 0.4 to 1.0 kilowatt-hours
of energy per hour of use. The system does
not have a thermostat. It achieves
maximum temperature after
approximately three hours of operation.
Using the heater longer than three hours
does not improve system performance and
unnecessarily uses electricity.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:03 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a shame Ford didn't come up with a way to circulate coolant (even slowly) when the heater is plugged in. That would move heat throughout the motor and make the heater a lot more effective...

Old 11-28-2015, 09:10 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by tvsjr
It's a shame Ford didn't come up with a way to circulate coolant (even slowly) when the heater is plugged in. That would move heat throughout the motor and make the heater a lot more effective...
What's different on the gas elements versus the diesels? My 6.0 coolant will be 100f after 4 hours plugged in. The heated coolant will naturally "circulate"

Josh

Old 11-28-2015, 09:19 PM
speedsauto
Cross-Country
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The Diesel just has a larger heating element, It has to warm up much more coolant then the gas engine has, the gas is the same, If it was plugged in all night the heater was blowing heat right away. 400 watts is plenty down to the -45 we see up here anyway.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:32 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by speedsauto
The Diesel just has a larger heating element, It has to warm up much more coolant then the gas engine has, the gas is the same, If it was plugged in all night the heater was blowing heat right away. 400 watts is plenty down to the -45 we see up here anyway.
I was being facetious, but I am assuming the smaller element isn't heating as well as the 900 watt Diesel elements.

Even still, the 6.0 block heater only raises the coolant a certain amount over ambient.

Josh

Old 11-29-2015, 09:26 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 441 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by tvsjr
I have heard of such systems for use on heavy equipment. they generally have a pump and a diesel-fired heater from what I've seen. I don't think that's a common system anywhere but the arctic, and even there, if it's truly cold, those machines will run 24/7 until the job is done.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:16 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 215 Likes on 181 Posts
Back in the day when I lived up in north-central Minnesota (near Brainerd), everyone used circulating tank heaters. It was a small unit a little larger than a Fosters beer can. You hook it into one of the heater hose lines, and it heats and circulates the coolant.

We had a non-heated garage, but we rigged up a timer that would turn on all the tank heaters at OH-dark:30.

It was wonderful to be able to turn on the heat in the vehicle and get warm air from the git-go. Backing out of the driveway, I would already be warm, but I still had the square tire problem until those old nylon-chord tires started warming up.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:28 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
I have heard of such systems for use on heavy equipment. they generally have a pump and a diesel-fired heater from what I've seen. I don't think that's a common system anywhere but the arctic, and even there, if it's truly cold, those machines will run 24/7 until the job is done.
Hm, depending on electricity rates in some areas it may be almost cheaper to let it idle all night.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:35 AM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by Tedster9
Hm, depending on electricity rates in some areas it may be almost cheaper to let it idle all night.
I spent a month in the late 90s Alaska and that what they did, all diesels worked or idled 24/7.

Diesel was cheap then, now it's different. Plus electronic controls etc make cold diesel starts easier.

I may look into retrofitting block heater in my 5.0, or I may not.....

Josh

Old 11-29-2015, 11:10 AM
HawkDrvr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bullitt...you don't have to do any retrofitting to your 5.0, just order a block heater from Ford and install it. I live in North Pole Alaska, all of the vehicles have block heaters, battery pad heater, oil and transmission pan heaters. When it's 50 below it's tough on a vehicle. But almost all the garages here are heated so we don't plug in at home.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:22 AM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by HawkDrvr
Bullitt...you don't have to do any retrofitting to your 5.0, just order a block heater from Ford and install it. I live in North Pole Alaska, all of the vehicles have block heaters, battery pad heater, oil and transmission pan heaters. When it's 50 below it's tough on a vehicle. But almost all the garages here are heated so we don't plug in at home.
That's what I meant, purchase the block heater and cord from Ford.

Josh

Quick Reply: Factory engine block heater