6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

engine codes coming up after replacing o-rings and copper washer on injectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 08:41 AM
Rob Snider
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine codes coming up after replacing o-rings and copper washer on injectors

Good morning. I removed the 4 injectors on the drivers side of my 2006 6.0 to clean them up and replace the o-rings and copper compression washer. When I put it all together (everything torqued per shop manual) I am now getting P0266,P0291, and P1000 codes. I have checked the connection on the #2 injector, it is good, and I didn't have any problems with connectors breaking or going back together on the FICM

The truck will start after a long crank,but smokes and runs rough. It was running without codes before I messed with it. The reason for tearing into It was it has experiencing a pretty big drop in fuel milage. I had been running revx and fuel additives with mixed results

Old 11-18-2015, 10:18 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you plug the MAF back in after having to remove the air intake ducting?
Also, looks like the #2 injector needs to be reworked, having an o ring leak.
Not sure you replaced the top o ring for the oil rail but many suggest to not mess with that particular one, especially if not creating a problem.
Sounds like the smoking is due to injector failure.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:16 PM
Rob Snider
New User
I pulled the oil rail and double checked the oil rail o ring and the 2 o rings on the outside of the injector. I also wanted to check the torque. The codes stayed the same after the second try. I was just wondering if there could be something I am missing. How do I know if the injector is getting a signal from the FICM?

Old 11-18-2015, 01:55 PM
Rob Snider
New User
Thanks.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:28 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Hope no offense is taken,, but it looks like the thanks ford post above is you frustrated with someone else other than yourself. You took apart a working truck,, and now it doesn't work. I understand the mileage loss being frustrating,, but the phrase comes to mind,, if it ain't broke,, fix it til it is. I would be doing maintenance before injectors for mileage alone. All fluids including rear diff,,, filters ect. Are your front hubs stuck on lock?? Just throwing stuff out there cause I don't want others to read this and think cleaning injectors is a recommended mileage gainer. Once again,, hope no offense is taken.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:29 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Did you rering the injectors after pulling them again?? They get new oring kits every time they are pulled btw.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:34 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Did you clear the codes after redoing the work? I know it seems like a stupid question, but just wondering........

Old 11-19-2015, 06:49 AM
Rob Snider
New User
Good morning. I want to start off by saying my post that said thanks ford was not intended for this post. I am new to social media and thought I was thanking the fella that was welcoming me to the site. I didn't intend to offend anyone, that would be just rude. I would say that I am one to do preventative maintenance and not catastrophic. I have learned that if problems are corrected before failure you will save other parts. When pulled out the injector I increased the torque to 26 ftpb and did reset the codes. Today I am going to buzz all the injectors. If #2 fires, the previous post would probably prove correct. I fixed it to failure. But the way I see it I was close to it anyway. Thank you for you time guys. Much appreciated.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:45 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Don't let me scare you off btw. Sometimes I come across as an ****. Lol. Stick around,, you're in good hands.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:40 AM
darrellbarnes
Junior User
Originally Posted by run6.0run
Don't let me scare you off btw. Sometimes I come across as an ****. Lol. Stick around,, you're in good hands.
Well done. We all have moments. Some just don't recognize it. Back to topic.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:41 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Rob Snider
Good morning. I want to start off by saying my post that said thanks ford was not intended for this post. I am new to social media and thought I was thanking the fella that was welcoming me to the site. I didn't intend to offend anyone, that would be just rude. I would say that I am one to do preventative maintenance and not catastrophic. I have learned that if problems are corrected before failure you will save other parts. When pulled out the injector I increased the torque to 26 ftpb and did reset the codes. Today I am going to buzz all the injectors. If #2 fires, the previous post would probably prove correct. I fixed it to failure. But the way I see it I was close to it anyway. Thank you for you time guys. Much appreciated.
Well said. Btw, did you get the 113 code resolved? Also, you did the driver's side. Was there a reason to do this side or was the plan to continue over to the pass side too?
You still have an oil leak somewhere causing the no or slow starts With an o ring not sealing properly. You might also disconnect and reconnect the injector wiring just to be sure it's connected properly.
I've always reconnected them before putting the "valve cover" back on to be sure the harness has snapped into place. Nothing worse then having the harness, fall back into the head.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:53 AM
Rob Snider
New User
Originally Posted by r2millers
Well said. Btw, did you get the 113 code resolved? Also, you did the driver's side. Was there a reason to do this side or was the plan to continue over to the pass side too?
You still have an oil leak somewhere causing the no or slow starts With an o ring not sealing properly. You might also disconnect and reconnect the injector wiring just to be sure it's connected properly.
I've always reconnected them before putting the "valve cover" back on to be sure the harness has snapped into place. Nothing worse then having the harness, fall back into the head.
I started with the drivers side to have the extra room and my plan was to do the other. With all that went down it appears that I should have just replaced them in the first place. I plugged the wiring harness in before putting the valve cover on so I could be sure to have a good connection. With the long starts. What evidence would there be if the oil rail is leaking. I put all new O-rings on the top of the injectors. I think that after the buzz test. if all the injector solonoids fire I will just replace all the injectors and be done with it. Then it will be off to the injector discussion. I have been talking to warren. They suggested the 155 stock injector since I haven't done anything to the fuel system except the pressure regulator upgrade.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:01 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Your ICP is too low, prompting that code. Do you have a reader to determine high side oil pressure? As others have mentioned, it takes about 550 lbs of pressure to start. What's the IPR %? Again, you shouldn't see anything showing 15% or 85%. With low pressure, the IPR will try and close down to help produce the necessary starting pressure, hence the 85% closed.

You probably didn't mess with the standpipes or dummy's except to remove but those o rings might have failed once disturbed.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:42 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
One thing to take a close look at with the IA1 sensor
is the plug for the MAF. Look really close to see if you have
a pulled out wire. Not as likely but take a close look at the
EBP sensor plug to make sure that it's not broken and shorting.

I had that DTC come up do the the EBP shorting from moving
the plug around when I was replacing the injector harness. I
went back and did some cleaning up on the main harness. What oil
and some diesel will do to the adhesive in the tape. Black goo.
Cleaned it back to a point where it was not goo and re-taped
things along with some new plastic tube. Things worked so much better.

The last thing to look at is the main harness that goes under the
air filter. Is it routed correctly and do you see any places where
it may be crushed and cause a problem?

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 11-20-2015, 03:44 AM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by r2millers
Your ICP is too low, prompting that code. Do you have a reader to determine high side oil pressure? As others have mentioned, it takes about 550 lbs of pressure to start. What's the IPR %? Again, you shouldn't see anything showing 15% or 85%. With low pressure, the IPR will try and close down to help produce the necessary starting pressure, hence the 85% closed.

You probably didn't mess with the standpipes or dummy's except to remove but those o rings might have failed once disturbed.
...and the ICP being too low MAY be what is causing your cyl contribution code.

x2 on checking the IPR duty cycle next.

Quick Reply: engine codes coming up after replacing o-rings and copper washer on injectors