Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

ABS affecting Speedo and Shifting. Can you solve the riddle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 09:19 PM
cmdavies91
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ABS affecting Speedo and Shifting. Can you solve the riddle?

I have a 2000 ford ranger that started having some serious issues. I generally like to fix vehicle problems myself, but I'm still scratching my head on this one. First abs light came on(check engine light not on at this point). Then over the next few weeks my speedometer would quit working intermittently. When the speedometer would quit working the overdrive on the dash would start flashing. When this would occur the transmission would begin to exhibit serious shifting issues. It would hard shift, and randomly go into neutral, Rev a few times then go back into gear. I replaced the abs/vss located in the rear diff, and it seemed as if the problem was fixed. The issue was that it was intermittent so the problem would come and go. A week later the problem was back. Now it wouldnt get out of 2ND gear. It would rev up and just continue going higher without shifting, and still the abs light was on.Took it to a local dealer and they said that the abs control module was bad, and that the fuel pump was going bad, but that ford no longer makes the part and that there was nothing they could do. I took it home and went to the salvage to buy an abs control module (located in the dash by the glove compartment). Put it in, and nothing. Same problem no fix. Took vss sensor back to autozone, and they gave me a new one for free. Issue still occured. Started it up, and after a few minutes it shut off on its own. Now there is a humming coming from the relay box under the hood, and it won't start. Went to autozone and picked up a fuel pump relay (it was the one buzzing). Still won't start. Abs light is now accompanied by check engine light and the (BRAKE) light. I could really use some help.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:37 AM
stuart1
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If lights are flashing that means codes have been set. Have them read.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:08 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,112 Posts
If Rangers are similar to the E-Series of that same approximate year your intermittent speedo says quite a bit. From my own personal experience and laughably hilarious mistake of installing a new but "wrong" instrument cluster I learned the microprocessor inside the cluster housing need the VSS input in order to allow the transmission to accept shift signals. Without that through put you'd have issues just like you describe.

A WAG tells me the VSS might be intermittent which might trigger the ABS light as that system's logic says it has no speed input and cannot determine when/if to engage ABS.

But as Stuart says get the codes read ASAP, make a note and share with us. Most handheld scanners these days have ABS reading capability. Have the OBD-II DTC's read along with those particular to the ABS too. When you have them go here: https://actron.com/code-lookup and help yourself to a somewhat better interpretation.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:53 AM
cmdavies91
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks You!!!

I'm buying an OBD2 reader today that also reads abs lights. As soon as I do the scan I will post the codes. You guys are awesome