1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Hackster's F100 CV Swap, Coyote, 6 speed 3 link build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 06:26 AM
Coastal68
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
It's been fun watching this come together and it looks like it will be a blast to drive.

Would you mind posting a pic of the seats and console from behind (shot through the back window)? I'm curious to see how much space you have between the seats and how the console looks up under the dash.

As an artist, I have an idea about your hood hinges: first, they're standing out in black because they are isolated (black inner fenders are now off-white). Second, black is a very hard color to integrate into any "picture." You're noticing this because you have sharp eyes and I can tell that by the kind of work you're doing on this build.
If I want a dark shadow in a painting I never use black but I mix a very dark brown - pure black always dominates a painting. So you might try mixing a dark brown and a black 50/50 and see how it does (this goes with the overall patina of the truck).

Instead, you could fill in between the ribs under the hood with black insulation and that would make the black hinges stand out less. Whatever you do, it will get darker under there with the hood on so they won't stick out so much.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:25 AM
Motorhead351
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hackster1
I really hope that the weather stays dry and I can get a few road miles on it this weekend.

Sean
I hope you remember to select video on the phone and then share.

Could paint the hinges and underside of hood the same color as the fenders, and they'd disappear, pop the hood and the viewers eye would go right to the engine.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:50 AM
f100today
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Seats look and fit nice. One of my pet peeves is seats that sit above the back window line or make your legs smash up into the steering wheel. Basically seats that make this small cab even smaller.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:45 AM
Thed
Senior User
Originally Posted by f100today
Seats look and fit nice. One of my pet peeves is seats that sit above the back window line or make your legs smash up into the steering wheel. Basically seats that make this small cab even smaller.
Small cab? You're crazy. These cabs are ginormous.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:47 AM
Thed
Senior User
Don't know if I missed it or not but how are you going to mount the shifter since the MT-82's use remote-mount shift assemblies?

Old 01-29-2016, 03:15 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sean I might have missed it, is that the TMI Sport 2/Sport R seat foam your using. It's all looking good.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:45 AM
Hackster1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Coastal68
It's been fun watching this come together and it looks like it will be a blast to drive.

Would you mind posting a pic of the seats and console from behind (shot through the back window)? I'm curious to see how much space you have between the seats and how the console looks up under the dash.

As an artist, I have an idea about your hood hinges: first, they're standing out in black because they are isolated (black inner fenders are now off-white). Second, black is a very hard color to integrate into any "picture." You're noticing this because you have sharp eyes and I can tell that by the kind of work you're doing on this build.
If I want a dark shadow in a painting I never use black but I mix a very dark brown - pure black always dominates a painting. So you might try mixing a dark brown and a black 50/50 and see how it does (this goes with the overall patina of the truck).

Instead, you could fill in between the ribs under the hood with black insulation and that would make the black hinges stand out less. Whatever you do, it will get darker under there with the hood on so they won't stick out so much.
The console is terribly hard to take good photos of in the truck to be honest, through the back window I get weird reflections and cannot really get any kind of details and in the truck you are too close to get an overall view. Ill try and snap some better photos.

Hinges....you are absolutly correct. The problem I have is that I have just Black, Silver or raw metal and Beige in the engine bay, that is very much on purpose. I feel like adding in another color to the engine bay at this point would look a little bit out of place.

Appreciate the nice words and the input as well.

Originally Posted by Motorhead351
I hope you remember to select video on the phone and then share.

Could paint the hinges and underside of hood the same color as the fenders, and they'd disappear, pop the hood and the viewers eye would go right to the engine.
I do think the underside of the hood will eventually get painted the same color as the fenders...maybe not right now, I dont think I have the time. The hinges though, I am afraid it would look to 90's where people tried too hard to make everything the same color. Ill see how it looks when the hood is on and stuff before I do anything with them, the good part is that they are really easy to take off and change.

Originally Posted by f100today
I am in 100% agreement, thus the reason I am trying so hard to keep the mustang low backs in there.

Originally Posted by Thed
Small cab? You're crazy. These cabs are ginormous.
I just don't agree with this. Wide...absolutley they are like a school bus but they are not very deep front to back so the wrong seat in there makes them very cramped front to back. I have had a number of Toyota pickups and they have far more legroom than the bumpside trucks do. Keep in mind though, 6' 3" here. Legroom is crucial to me.

Originally Posted by Thed
Don't know if I missed it or not but how are you going to mount the shifter since the MT-82's use remote-mount shift assemblies?
I built a handy bracket to hold the shifter that mounts off the transmission and supports the shifter from the side. I hope that it gets rid of some of the sloppy shifting I have heard about in the mustangs. That design is just terrible....I also shortened up the shifter by about 5" to put it in the right spot. I dont think I really needed to though, it could have come back a bit more.

Name:  20151121_154333_zpsafdz6bh7.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  1.60 MB

Name:  20151121_154322_zpsyyy0bquq.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  1.76 MB

Name:  20151121_090641_zps05t0qdc7.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  2.11 MB

Name:  20151121_192551_zpslzpzcqhv.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  1.38 MB

Name:  20151121_090305_zps3yuncxxa.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  1.46 MB

Name:  20151121_083748_zpsmgcd0qqe.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  1.80 MB

Originally Posted by Randle
Sean I might have missed it, is that the TMI Sport 2/Sport R seat foam your using. It's all looking good.
Yes sir!!! That is the one I am using. Sport 2/ Sport R seat foams.....Thank you.

Sean

Old 01-30-2016, 09:42 AM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes sir!!! That is the one I am using. Sport 2/ Sport R seat foams.....Thank you.

Sean
Thanks Sean; I have look at the Sport R seats and like the way they are made, but I had rather do my own thing the upholstery. Also curious to see how your brakes work out, as I am thinking 4 wheel manual disc on the Mustang, with Wilwood's 7/8" Master they make for Mustangs.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:58 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Photobucket is acting up so please bare with me on the update.....some of my photos will not upload and others just upload three or four times and drop in the wrong place.

Seatbelts from Seatbeltplanet showed up yesterday. They look great so far and should go well with the interior theme I am working on.

My buddy Jeff took my hinges and ran them through his blaster and got them all good and clean for me (I have got to get one of those) I shot them with some etch primer and then some cast aluminum paint. Pretty happy with how they came out.....I took pics of the whole process but cannot get those to upload either....
Every time pics fail to upload I resize them a little smaller and then they will upload. There seems to be no reason why.

Great work Sean, and thanks for the Seatbeltplanet pro-tip.
https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/class...rucks/1980-86/

Old 01-30-2016, 05:59 PM
MIKES 68 F100
Logistics Pro
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I've been having issues with Photo bucket too,pics get to 80% load then just stall out . if I close window pics are there ? using same phone and PC that i've been using for years , so I guess it is a Photo bucket issue . I ruled out browser by trying IE ,Firefox and chrome all do the same thing .

Old 01-31-2016, 12:57 AM
Hackster1
Senior User
Spent a little bit of time yesterday evening cleaning up the shop. It was long overdue for some cleaning and organizing. I even gathered up all the manuals, paperwork, receipts and anything coyote F100 related 3 hole punched them and got them all into a binder. I know I have a problem...I know.

Name:  20160129_152705_zpsqsieth1b.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  1.37 MB

Although I found a little bit more rust than anticipated in the drivers floor board, I made due with it, a little rust mort and a little aluminum panel to reinforce it for now will have to work.

Managed to get 22 sheets of Hush Mat installed on the floor, firewall and back wall of the cab. I think it turned out really good. It was a pain in the ***. Sorry for the poor photos, the phone seems to be taking worse and worse pics with the update.

Name:  20160130_144011_zpsezfwjd7m.jpg
Views: 1253
Size:  1.55 MB

Name:  20160130_144002_zpsb5yu7ptq.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  1.37 MB

I had the carpet laying out for the past week or so to try and get the wrinkles out and it payed off. Carpet pretty much laid right in there. Needed some trimming and was a lot of work but I think it looks awesome.

Name:  20160130_161501_zpsgd6ytsfr.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  1.82 MB

Name:  20160130_161519_zps4uhk7l17.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  1.66 MB

I tucked the carpet under the firewall panel for the steering column as well as under the gas pedal and behind the reinforcement plate for the clutch pedal.

Name:  20160130_161528_zpsgazmyqnw.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  1.80 MB

I also got the holes burned in for the seat mounting brackets and the seat mounting brackets bolted in place. Seatbelt on the drivers side is in.

I need a tap for the seatbelt holes in the center and some proper sized washers for mounting the hood. If its dry enough tomorrow I might get the truck out for a few minutes.

Sean

Old 01-31-2016, 04:46 AM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Your pedal pads are upside down...otherwise looking amazing!

Old 01-31-2016, 07:36 AM
Steven@nd
Elder User
This build is freaking awesome! Some of the most awesome this in my opinion are: having 3 pedals and rowing your own gears, a Ford drive train in a Ford (and going full modern with Coyote and fuel injection), and most awesome is that it's built not bought.

I hope to see this in at least one magazine someday as it is far beyond many of the feature vehicles I have read about!

Old 01-31-2016, 02:57 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Probably my favorite part of the truck, the suspension fab front and rear, won't even be seen by 99% of people.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:07 AM
Hackster1
Senior User
Originally Posted by hivoltj
Your pedal pads are upside down...otherwise looking amazing!
Its the second time I have put them on upside down.....someone called me out on it on the other truck too.

Thank you though.

Originally Posted by Steven@nd
This build is freaking awesome! Some of the most awesome this in my opinion are: having 3 pedals and rowing your own gears, a Ford drive train in a Ford (and going full modern with Coyote and fuel injection), and most awesome is that it's built not bought.

I hope to see this in at least one magazine someday as it is far beyond many of the feature vehicles I have read about!
Thanks you, I really like it as well. Something about a manual transmission just connects you to a vehicle. I dont care what kind of car or truck it is. Three pedals for the win. No hopes really on a magazine feature for the truck, its just an old ****ty truck on the outside =) thanks for the compliments though.

Originally Posted by blue04.5
Probably my favorite part of the truck, the suspension fab front and rear, won't even be seen by 99% of people.
This is exactly my thought as well. I love the chassis and fab work on this thing and nobody will ever see it.

Got the seatbelt for the drivers side all installed, bolted in the seat for temporary and checked it all out. With the stock foams int he seats they are very comfortable. Great seating position and easy pedal operation.

Got the hood on it and tried to line it up but the hood is pretty messsed up from opening going down the freeway sometime in its life.

Had a little bit of help from some friends and figured out why the speedometer was non operational. Turns out the information I got from Ford Racing was wrong and I had two of the wires on the sender backwards. He is a full time tech and we pulled up the wiring diagram from All Data.....It was awesome.

Swapped the two wires back and forth on the connector and Voila....working speedometer.

Now onto the bad news.

I have a noise in the engine that we are unable to locate. It sounds like spark knock or pinging but it sounds pretty mechanical sometimes as well. I pulled the pan a while back and inspected and there was nothing in there. I also did an oil change after running for a couple hours or so and there was nothing in there either.

So I needed to dig further to find said noise....its not healthy.

Pulled Passenger side cam cover to inspect.

Name:  20160131_124438_zpstfwl2cdk.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  1.61 MB

Name:  20160131_125116_zps7yajhrwl.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  1.48 MB

Name:  20160131_125124_zpslvc3fqup.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  1.79 MB

I do not see anything wrong on anything that I opened up. The top end on this thing looks like its brand new but I am not a Ford trained technician.

I think it sounds like timing chain to me. The only thing I did see was some whitness marks on the backside of the timing chain that indicate its been running against some plastic, dark colored like black or dark brown. I am wondering if I have a chain guide/tensioner issue but am not too sure how to tell if I do or not.

Oil pressure is excellent 100 psi at startup and around 40 at a hot idle.

Could be spark knock because of the no cats, open exhaust and open element air filter...could be mechanical issues I have no idea at this point.

Any input? Its almost impossible to get video of it since it has to be running and driving.

Pretty sure at this point that I am not going to make Thunder Hill, I just am running out of time to do it all.

Super Bummed out.

Sean

Quick Reply: Hackster's F100 CV Swap, Coyote, 6 speed 3 link build thread