1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Hackster's F100 CV Swap, Coyote, 6 speed 3 link build thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 08:01 AM
f100today
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Battery box looks awesome. Good thinking on that one. I can't remember but what are you bending your thicker steel with? SWAG retro fit press?

Old 12-06-2015, 12:48 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean what is your battery rated for CCA?

Originally Posted by f100today
I am at about 8.75 at the front bottom corner of the door. I have 4.5 inches to my crossmember. Big difference here is I am running a 30.5 inch tall tire in the front and a 31.5 tall tire in the back.
Thanks f100

Sean, I've been meaning to ask and keep forgetting, but do you know anyone semi local that has a good reputation for tuning carbed motors? At some point, after suspension, I'd like to go to efi. Don't mean to derail your thread just thought you might know someone.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:49 PM
Hackster1
Senior User
I am at about 8.75 at the front bottom corner of the door. I have 4.5 inches to my crossmember. Big difference here is I am running a 30.5 inch tall tire in the front and a 31.5 tall tire in the back.
You are a lot lower than I am....You have to be tucking a fair bit of wheel. I would love to be this low on 20's =)

Battery box looks awesome. Good thinking on that one. I can't remember but what are you bending your thicker steel with? SWAG retro fit press?
I wish....still need to order one. I just scribe it where I need the bend, bend and weld. Its archaic but it works.

Originally Posted by blue04.5
Sean what is your battery rated for CCA?

Thanks f100

Sean, I've been meaning to ask and keep forgetting, but do you know anyone semi local that has a good reputation for tuning carbed motors? At some point, after suspension, I'd like to go to efi. Don't mean to derail your thread just thought you might know someone.
On the battery. Its like 800 for 5 seconds.....after that it drops significantly down to 330. Its not for everyone, but should work for what I need on this one.

Hmmm....let me think on the carb thing. I know a few people, Ill get back to you.

Not a ton of work done on the truck but a fair bit of research and wiring stuff.

Luckily I hung onto the wiring diagrams I used from the other truck. Stripped down the factory wiring that goes outside the cab. All wiring and connectors are in excellent condition, I was very suprised. I have all of those wires cleaned up and labeled and know where they all need to land. All of the old generator, voltage regulator and all that stuff is out of the picture and cleaned up.

Name:  20151206_161816_zps6mctkhxc.jpg
Views: 2545
Size:  1.64 MB

I got the ford racing harness actually installed in the truck and ran the o2 sensors out the firewall and grommeted. Dont mind the rust, its just a little surface rust :wink:

Name:  20151206_165158_zpsrzcdp4bk.jpg
Views: 2531
Size:  1.50 MB

I then built this handy plate with a 6 gang fuse box and the FRPP control box. This goes in place of the glove box (It was hammered anyways)

Name:  20151206_114959_zpsrhmybwzd.jpg
Views: 2564
Size:  1.44 MB

Name:  20151206_115504_zpsunt61bak.jpg
Views: 2487
Size:  1.42 MB

Also, this pretty much sums up why I do this stuff. There is just something about an old car or truck with all late model stuff in it that I love. The feel and smell of an old truck is all there in this pic but a hydraulic clutch and nice brakes, electronic accelerator pedal, 6 speed manual and a fair bit of electronics. Love it!!!!

Name:  20151206_165139_zpsybw163xb.jpg
Views: 2532
Size:  1.53 MB

Like I said, it doesnt seem like much but it was a lot of thinking going on today.

Made the decision on some gauges as well. Need to bottom out on a radiator.

Sean

Old 12-10-2015, 11:32 PM
Hackster1
Senior User
Nothing exciting to report really from an outsiders point of view but great progress for me.

Got ahold of Roy at Ford Racing the other day and inquired about wiring in the mt-82 into the coyote control pack so that it will not only run properly but also so that I will be able to have a properly working speedometer in this thing.

He was awesome. We emailed back and forth a few times and he sent me a couple of PDF's on how to splice them into the ECU and where they needed to go.

So I messed around a little but tonight and measured that out and got it pinned into the 50pin connector. I was a little frustrated that ford does not pin these into the harness and make a couple of blunt leads that you can just hook up. It would be way easier. Of course this needs to be done in the truck since I put the harness in already.....idiot.

Apparently no photos of that..

Also pulled out the rear crossmember, drilled the lower holes in the frame and got that rear crossmember painted and back installed tonight. This was one of those hold up's that I was putting off.

Ran the DOT airbrake line in 1/8" from the fuel pressure regulator up front from the rear and ran the other harness back inside the framerails to the rear and got the rear harness assembled as well.

Got the rear suspension permanent bolts installed and tightened up Adjusted the pinion angle to where the big books tell me to.

Also got the fuel pump all wired up as well, you can kind of see the fuel level sender wired lengthened from in the cab to back in the mustang tank. OCD much?

Name:  20151209_210538_zpsyj579raq.jpg
Views: 2536
Size:  1.63 MB

Also my battery terminals finally showed up. I wanted them to be insulated and these are awesome quality.

Name:  20151209_195741_zps32lmnw3k.jpg
Views: 2538
Size:  1.83 MB

Name:  20151209_195826_zpslek0t8d8.jpg
Views: 2557
Size:  1.70 MB

Moved the front clip back in front of the garage so I can hopefully get some of the holes patched up this weekend but I am nervous about how bad of shape its in....Ill snap a pic tomorrow. Fender, core support and inner fender are pretty hammered.....

Sean

Old 12-11-2015, 12:58 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Hurry......I'm running low on popcorn.

You gonna hook up that "vent" port to the fuel filler neck?
BTW, I too rated this thread Excellent. Good Work Son.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:05 PM
Grumps Garage
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top notch build! Been following on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forums, gave me allot good ideas

Old 12-11-2015, 11:15 PM
Hackster1
Senior User
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Hurry......I'm running low on popcorn.

You gonna hook up that "vent" port to the fuel filler neck?
BTW, I too rated this thread Excellent. Good Work Son.
Thanks man.....I could use a refill on the popcorn as well

Vent is probably going to go over to a rollover valve tucked up behind the taillight. Thanks for the props.

Originally Posted by Grumps Garage
Top notch build! Been following on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forums, gave me allot good ideas
Thank you, Good to hear people picking up some tips and trucks from these forums.

Well, not too sure how I got started on this project tonight but I did.

Have been doing so much wiring and mechanical stuff it was kind of fun. Stripped back a little bit of paint and got the patch panel welded in. I am not a body man by any stretch of the imagination.

Name:  20151211_181634_zpsjw4wqug5.jpg
Views: 2515
Size:  1.31 MB

I laid down a couple coats of body filler and got it close.....its not perfect by any means but neither is the rest of the truck. I am hoping I can make it kind of blend in with the rest of the truck.

So I laid down a couple coats of primer, then a little red like the factory and the tan on top of that.

Name:  20151211_204528_zpsav6nnwyw.jpg
Views: 2492
Size:  1.30 MB

I think I will be able to make it match pretty good and look old and weathered.

On a less stellar note. I got to looking at the front sheetmetal last night and its hammered. The insides of the hood are totally rusted, the core support is bent back on the drivers side and the drivers fender is too far gone to be usable.

I think I found a truck that will donate a bunch of parts to the good cause of keeping this one on the road. And its two tone Pebble Beige and white. Not perfect, but it will get me close enough and a much better start to the finish.

Heading to look at it in the morning. Anyone need a good truck? its a 250 with a good runner and a rebuilt tranny.

Sean

Old 12-12-2015, 06:48 PM
Hackster1
Senior User
Well I got up at the crack of dawn today and picked up my buddy Scott and his trailer cause the mustang is still on mine =)

We headed out into the country about an hour east of here and took a look at the 68 f250 I had found on craigslist. Other than the hood being kind of a turd as it has flown open on the freeway it had the parts that I desperately need. Good (non rusted) hood, straight core support, straight fenders left and right, good working door locks and a passenger door latch. Also it came with a working ignition switch that i do not currently have. Lots of good parts I can use.

The cab is rust free as well. Anyone need a cab?

Name:  20151212_095552_zpszs0uylav.jpg
Views: 2535
Size:  1.58 MB

Name:  20151212_095601_zpss68fhc6s.jpg
Views: 2556
Size:  1.63 MB

Got that thing home and unloaded and got back to work.

Hit the spot I shot with some color last night with some 1000 grit to see how it was going to look. Not perfect and I think Ill get some proper color matched up and shoot it with that and some grit to look right.

Name:  20151212_161312_zpsryjqca0j.jpg
Views: 2494
Size:  1.55 MB

Better than a big *** hole in the cab.

Needed to get this little chore done before I could get the bed on. Got the locking gas cap off of it first of all, cut it down to a length that would work and cleaned it all up and got it installed. I totally dig it.

Name:  20151212_120241_zpsidrwa88v.jpg
Views: 2534
Size:  1.60 MB

Name:  20151212_130006_zpssdkumkuj.jpg
Views: 2510
Size:  1.41 MB

Had a hand in the garage for a few hours and got a bunch of little stuff done on the wiring. Thanks for the help Ole.

Starter solenoid wired up, ground from the battery to the chassis built and installed. Ground from battery to engine built and installed. Negative battery terminal made up and ready to go on. Ground from engine to cab rebuilt and the grounds for the harness attached to the stud on the back of the head.

Name:  20151212_161330_zps1rhw6vfi.jpg
Views: 2504
Size:  1.35 MB

Also managed to get a pic of this. Got this done last night.

Name:  20151212_161355_zpsgt2isg86.jpg
Views: 2535
Size:  1.52 MB

It has been pouring for days up here in Oregon. Today is no exception. I need to get the frontend off the donor truck but an waiting until I can either get it in the garage for a day or the weather dries out.......Hopefully one of those tomorrow.

Sean

Old 12-12-2015, 10:44 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
As usual, nicely done Sean.
I think I feel the gills beginning to grow back for the season with all this moisture lately.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:54 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I love those battery terminal connectors !! Who did you order those bad boys from?
They look great on that battery. And that stainless braided brake line is not too shabby either!

Old 12-13-2015, 05:02 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
It's been raining up here in Washington a lot too. At least I haven't had to get the boat out to go shopping -yet. But I can't get much done on my F350 either.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:54 AM
Hackster1
Senior User
Originally Posted by blue04.5
As usual, nicely done Sean.
I think I feel the gills beginning to grow back for the season with all this moisture lately.
The rain never really gets to me but this week has been horrible. For those outside of this area. We got just under 3" of rain on Monday alone and it has poured everyday since then.

Gills and webbed feet for sure.

Originally Posted by GaryKip
I love those battery terminal connectors !! Who did you order those bad boys from?
They look great on that battery. And that stainless braided brake line is not too shabby either!
I actually got the battery terminals from Amazon See link below. The funny thing is that they were cheaper than anything local and of much much nicer quality. I highly recommend.

Amazon.com: KnuKonceptz Bassik Positive Battery Terminal: Automotive Amazon.com: KnuKonceptz Bassik Positive Battery Terminal: Automotive

Originally Posted by GaryKip
It's been raining up here in Washington a lot too. At least I haven't had to get the boat out to go shopping -yet. But I can't get much done on my F350 either.
Yeah you guys have gotten hit like we have. My family all lives up there, Kent, Bonney lake areas. I grew up on Bainbridge Island until I was 8, then we moved to Kent after that so I know the area pretty well.

I am going to go do an anti rain dance now.

Sean

Old 12-13-2015, 03:22 PM
71Shorty
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sean - great work! I just found the thread the other night, read all of the pages to catch up, and decided to join the forum. Subscribed!

-joe

Old 12-13-2015, 11:09 PM
Hackster1
Senior User
Originally Posted by 71Shorty
Sean - great work! I just found the thread the other night, read all of the pages to catch up, and decided to join the forum. Subscribed!

-joe
That is awesome Joe!!! Glad you are getting some enjoyment out of the build, I know I am =) Stay tuned for more.

Well, it might not have been so perfect afterall but it provided me with a lot of parts.

Had a hand for a couple hours and got all the crap I needed off the ford. Also found a few suprises......rust.

Name:  20151213_123837_zpszzfnzswu.jpg
Views: 2531
Size:  1.70 MB

On top of getting the bumper and front clip off the truck, we also got the doors gutted and pulled the locks, interior door panels, latch mechanisms as well as the ignition switch and the nicer than mine gauge cluster, all in all a pretty good chunk of stuff. Still need to pull off the kind of cool rear step bumper.

So this is not the only rust, but it was the worst of it. Hit the core support with a wire wheel where I needed to and some rust mort to stop it. Cut and patched this spot as it was the only spot that kind of held something. The other spots are kind of superficial so I am not too worried about them.

The inner fender on the other hand, it was pretty hammered around the battery.

Here is what I ended up cutting out....of the old inner fender from the original truck.

Name:  20151213_202236_zpstoww5bwl.jpg
Views: 2512
Size:  1.71 MB

Against my better judgement I started doing typical "Sean" stuff and decided that I could make things better and this happened.

Name:  20151213_173854_zpsuni2sqjj.jpg
Views: 2522
Size:  1.76 MB

I took the back part of the ****ty inner fender and chopped it up to fit in the spot where the battery tray was.

Name:  20151213_202252_zpskmpx4iqn.jpg
Views: 2507
Size:  1.80 MB

Its far from perfect and has a little oil canning that I need to figure out but all in all I think it looks a hell of a lot better than the old battery tray. Kind of wondering if I am going to tackle the other side as its proving to be a lot of work

Name:  20151213_202243_zpspq9tipxw.jpg
Views: 2512
Size:  1.53 MB

I think I am going to get these close, do a light coat of bodywork and shoot them with truckbed liner.

Sean

Old 12-14-2015, 03:02 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for posting the information on your battery and terminals, you might have answered a question for me. I have been thinking about a way to to hide one in the trunk of the Mustang I'm starting and that one might just fill the bill. Your inter fenders are looking good, as is the rest of the truck.

Quick Reply: Hackster's F100 CV Swap, Coyote, 6 speed 3 link build thread