1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Buy paint while you still can

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 12:34 PM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
Been using Low VOC paints for years...no big deal. As for mixing brands, ask yourself why was that a big deal to begin with? The answer is that you had to be sure that when you sprayed one product on top of another, the top product did not adversely react with the first one. Next question...how stable is 2-part primer? The answer is that it is very stable...no lacquer, basecoat, acrylic, or enamel is going to react with it. Once cured it is essentially inert to all top coats. I have used many brands of epoxy primers, including those the are not "really" epoxy but are 2-part catalyzed paints, and I have never had any adverse reaction due to mixing brands. That said, basecoats are not catalyzed and you can have issues with some clears over non-catalyzed bases.
To the OP...I wouldn't be concerned at all using a non-Summit brand of paint over their epoxy primer.
I'm not a painter, but have sprayed many a bike, cars and trucks alike. I learned as I went.
Usually you only get a reaction when the solvents are still present. Val spar 2k primer, sherwin williams base coat with blue sky clear (as an example). If you layer one on top of the other too quickly, the reaction is called "solvent pop". It can also happen if you apply a second or third coat of clear too soon.
All that to say, I wouldn't fret it.
Is there a local auto paint store near you? Go visit with them. They can even color match what you have or want.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:33 PM
71mach351
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same problem here. My project was epoxy primed with Summit product a couple years ago. I got around to high build primer and hot rod satin single stage paint but they couldn't ship the high voc stuff to me. They never even mentioned they had low voc that they could ship. After a couple weeks of research a saw they had low voc and called back. Oh yeah... We can ship that to you...

But we can't ship a 4 oz bottle of limited slip additive either.

The low voc stuff seemed to work fine.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:13 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 469 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by TeachNlive4ever
I'm not a painter, but have sprayed many a bike, cars and trucks alike. I learned as I went.
Usually you only get a reaction when the solvents are still present. Val spar 2k primer, sherwin williams base coat with blue sky clear (as an example). If you layer one on top of the other too quickly, the reaction is called "solvent pop". It can also happen if you apply a second or third coat of clear too soon.
All that to say, I wouldn't fret it.
Is there a local auto paint store near you? Go visit with them. They can even color match what you have or want.
What you say is true...not only for mixed brands but also for same brands. Never spray a second coat over a base that has yet to gas out. This is especially ugly when done in the clear coat stages.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:23 AM
avf100
Fleet Mechanic
Received 401 Likes on 189 Posts
I tried to order a paint starter kit ( measuring cups,stir sticks,strainers) from Summit. They said they couldn't ship it to me because of California's regulations. No paint involved. It's crazy !!!*