6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Broke down and purchased 2 new front tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 07:07 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Broke down and purchased 2 new front tires

I was trying to hold off as long as I could, but nerves got the better of me. The OEM Rancho FX4 shocks had caused such cupping, and there was also wear on the outside of the tire tread. I was getting too uncomfortable driving it with the 5th wheel weight stacked back side at highway speeds. I was still trying to decide between Michelin MS2 priced at $212 each or Cooper Discoverer ATP $176 each.
Tire Details - Discount Tire

The Michelin has one long tire tread warranty, however no on has them in stock..

So off to Discount tire I went with the thought of buying one new OEM tire to be mounted on one front axle and then have the spare tire moved up front to the other. I had also checked the DT site before heading out and noticed another Cooper that was listed as a down right bargain price. So when I got there I took a look. The tread pattern look on the net close to the OEM tire design. However in person they were very different patterned, they were more aggressive than OEM yet not what I would call an aggressive AT style tire.

So I stood there trying to decide which would go on the truck. Then sadly I realized that I no longer have to drive in to the ranch in muddy conditions unless I wanted to, which I don't. I am also tired of loud aggressive AT and mud tires which don't wear well many times and get chunked out on gravel roads.

In the end I went with the lower priced Cooper. Cost me $300.47 for two tires mounted, balanced, taxed and OTD. Went 3 blocks down the street and got the front end aligned for $69.95 and it's like driving a different truck.

This morning I will be calling and order in 4 more of these for the dually end of the truck. The OEM tires may have another 5 or 6 thousand miles of comfortable towing miles left in them, but the price for comfort of the mind is worth doing it now. Nice thing is that with the purchase of 4 tires there is a $50 rebate so the rear tires will only net cost me $552 OTD.

Here is a link to the tires I went with. And yes Cooper tires were on the top of my list due to being American built tires.
Tire Details - Discount Tire

Old 10-13-2015, 07:12 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Two things I don't like to do is driving with nearly worn out tires and brakes. I have the Cooper SRMs on my Chevy dually and love them. Cooper tires are good ones in my opinion.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:46 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by golfmedik
Two things I don't like to do is driving with nearly worn out tires and brakes. I have the Cooper SRMs on my Chevy dually and love them. Cooper tires are good ones in my opinion.
Agree with the 100%. I tend to error on the side of caution. The DT guy said I still had some time and miles to go, as did my penny and quarter test.

But, I've seen what a blow out can do at speeds to one of these trucks and drivers reaction time is nil. And that's with out 16K of 5th wheel attached.

I run Cooper LT tires on my 5er also.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:53 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
For some reason, new tires is one thing I actually don't mind spending money on. I am never a fan of the OEM supplied tires and like putting rubber of my choice on my vehicles.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:23 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Last night, stopped at the dealer for an oil change and tire rotation (13,000 miles). $125 total with no coupons for those that change the oil and rotate at their home and laugh at dopes like myself that pay a dealer to do this. Dealer checks brakes and tires. Both were like new according to the dealer. At 13,000 miles, I think that I am about 1/3 of the way to a new set of tires. Nice to hear that my OEM tires are doing well. I also try to replace early. Lots of snow and rain in my part of the world, no need to run tires right to the end of their life.

bruce...

Old 10-13-2015, 07:43 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also had to replace my front tires. I really wanted the Cooper Discoverer AT3 which were $198 a piece but I decided on General Grabber HTS which were $172 each. I have used these tires on my wifes Explorer and my sons Explorer and I like how they handle the road in good conditions and bad. I was surprised they made them in my size and load range.
I went down to Ocean City MD last weekend for a few days, took the RV and was happy with the tires, now I need 4 for the rear.
I think when I have the money for my new 20" wheels I will get the Cooper tires but I will switch to my stock wheels for the winter so I will still need a decent tire in the winter weather.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:29 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I have always had good luck with coopers.

I think I am fine for now with the OEM's. I just rolled over to 26K on the truck. So maybe towards the end of next summer.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:20 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, I had the Generals for about a week and noticed they were not balanced property so I called up the tire place and they agreed to check balance on the fronts. Both front tires took over 4 ounces of weight and they told me to try that and see what I think. So 2 weeks later I call them again and tell them that the tires are out of round and are really annoying. I come back and they agree to relace the tires. This time I get the Cooper AT3 discoverer and I get all 6. I just love these tires. Worth every penny.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:34 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Thanks for the update.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:30 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by jonrjen
I was trying to hold off as long as I could, but nerves got the better of me. The OEM Rancho FX4 shocks had caused such cupping, and there was also wear on the outside of the tire tread.
Worn shocks on a solid front axle will not cause tire wear. All they do is dampen the vertical motion of the coil springs. More likely the problem was an out of alignment condition, or perhaps a loose ball joint, or a tie-rod end.

But congrats on the new tires, they do make a vehicle drive some much nicer compared to worn tires.