6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Referral needed for lower Michigan area 6.0 bullet proofing mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 10:28 AM
campionc79
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Referral needed for lower Michigan area 6.0 bullet proofing mechanic

So here's the story. I was referred to a guy who seemed pretty decent and had good references on his work. But, he turned out to be a screwball with absolutely no time management skills. I dropped my truck off with him over a month ago and every time I asked for a schedule, he'd give me one and never live up to it. Yesterday, his housemates asked me to remove it form the property, so I took it back home while trying to find him. Once I did, we made arrangements for him to come to my house to fill the axle with oil again, and drive it to his work shop on the other side of the state. That was supposed to be at 7:30 this morning, and it's now 11:15.

He was supposed to do the bulletproofing along with some other things, like rebuild the turbo, and fix the pinion sela and leaking axle seals and bearings on the rear. We agreed to $1500 because he needed the money, and was willing to break the cost up into affordable chunks. Unfortunately, I already paid him $300 of that for nothing, apparently.

I have all of the parts already:
  • ARP studs
  • Head gaskets
  • EGR delete
  • Oil cooler
  • Blue spring fuel pressure kit
  • New stand pipes
  • Injector seals
  • Water pump
  • Coolant
  • Oil
  • All filters
  • Water drain plug
  • SCT programmer
  • Turbo rebuild kit with 360 degree bearing
  • Diamond Eye 4" exhaust

And I'm probably missing a few things here too...

Anyway, I REALLY need to get this done, and I don't have a lot of money anymore, either. Since he was so affordable, I took the added expense of buying the best parts and the other little things that could be replaced while it was all apart.

I'm located about an hour south of Lansing, the state capital. Does anyone know someone reliable who I could talk to that would be able to help get this completed before the snow flies? I'd hate to have to sell my 5th wheel to take this to a big shop to have done, because that's actually the reason I bought this truck in the first place after having totally rebuilt a 6.5L Chevy that I traded in on it because I was tired of all the problems and it being underpowered, especially after the turbo blew on it.

However, I do have a 18' jet boat with a freshly rebuilt 350 engine in it that I could work out a deal with, perhaps, if I absolutely needed to. Interior needs to be redone, but everything else is A-grade. New carb for it is in the box and ready to be installed, too. It's a 1981 Baja 180SS. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 10-11-2015, 10:53 AM
gwh1bass
Senior User
This summer I had Diesel Equipment Sales & Services in Potterville Michigan work on my '05 6.0 Excursion.
They pulled the body and did
Head gaskets (heads sent to local race engine builder)
ARP studs
Oil cooler
EGR cooler
Stand pipes
Checked all injectors, replaced 2
Coolant filter added
Belt
Etc..

They work on a lot of 6.0's.
I probably had $1800 in labor.

So far all is good.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Shaneb75
Strokin Okie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Look at the bright side, that screwball didn't get his mitts on your engine. Most people post horror stories after the fact.

You did good by posting here for references!

Old 10-11-2015, 02:07 PM
campionc79
New User
Thanks, guys. And I'll give that shop in Potterville a call this week and see what they say.

My guy's work is apparently really good, and he has some of the top race cars around, as well as some good performance diesel stuff. Just yesterday, one of Frankie Valley's old cohorts form the Four Seasons contracted with them to build an engine for his car.

The main problem is, he's extremely busy, and works two hours away from his home. He's extremely unreliable when it comes to dates and times, schedules, appointments, and such.

I expected to be a lower priority due to the cost he was quoting me, but when he says he'll show up at my house at 7:30AM, then doesn't call or show up, that's another story. I finally got a hod of him around noon today. Like I expected, he said he was called in to work, but said he lost his phone in one of their trucks and couldn't get to it until a little before I called.

My first question I was asking myself is, if I had just set this appointment up with him at 9PM last night, and he was at home, then why couldn't he have left me a text message or something right when he left saying, "hey, I have to go to work and might not make it back in time, or not all all"?!?!?!?

Argh...it's just so frustrating.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:05 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cut your losses and run. Good and reliable is better than great and unreliable.