Looking At This Truck and Could Use Some Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 01:04 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking At This Truck and Could Use Some Advice

Hey everyone,

I've spent the last 2 years absorbing all I could about the 6.0 and making my excursion as reliable as possible on a budget. This forum has been invaluable in helping me chase down various problems, etc.

So, I am now looking at a 2001 F250 7.3 6 speed manual with approx 161k miles. It has lived out west (they don't use salt there) and looks to be relatively rust free from the pictures. It has obviously been used as a work truck judging from its "used" look.

Anyway, I read Tenn01PSD350's post about what to look for when going to buy a 7.3: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...questions.html

Anything above and beyond this list to look for? While I've become accustomed to 6.0 ownership and its quirks over the past few years, 7.3s are a beast all their own to me.

Here is the ad for the truck: 2001 Ford F-250 Pickup Truck | used cars & trucks | Annapolis Valley | Kijiji

The price went from 10k to 8.5k in just a week, so it looks like this guy wants to sell and doesn't know what he wants for it. I feel like I might be able to get it for 5k or so from him.

So what do you guys think?

Cheers,

Nate

Old 10-01-2015, 01:36 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Judging from the pics looks like it was worked in dusty conditions, I would take a closer look at the turbo for signs of dusting

Old 10-01-2015, 02:11 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree especially if it has the stock air box (non AIS), if it does look at the tabs on the front of box (side closest to grill) and see if they are broken off, if they are there is a fair possibility the turbo has been dusted also if you can check the turbo wheel for play and other signs of play/looseness

Old 10-01-2015, 02:12 PM
dsquared
Elder User
Isn't Nova Scotia the southeastern end of the frozen great white north?

Granted, being more or less an island may keep snow down, but it sure isn't the west!

And who galvanized the bed?

Proceed with caution....

Old 10-01-2015, 02:22 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Looks a bit rough for my taste at $8500. The mileage is good for that year, but if it is hard miles (as it appears to be) you may be looking at a money sink.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:32 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You've got a pretty comprehensive list there in the buyers guide, so take heed of all the advice given there. Aside from that, it looks like an XL in the photo. For bare bones trim level, that price seems a bit high. But then I also don't know the prices and availability of 7.3 PSD's in your region. Good luck!

Old 10-01-2015, 02:41 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Another check-
Between the airbox and turbo, the rubber intake hose has a tendency to split along one of the mold lines. It's along the back side (natch) where you can't see it but you can feel along or use a mirror and a flashlight to check it out.

At least out west here, that price is not horrible for those miles on a 7.3.

Good luck!

Old 10-01-2015, 04:29 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Judging from the pics looks like it was worked in dusty conditions, I would take a closer look at the turbo for signs of dusting
I believe it was used in the oil sands out in Alberta, but I have to confirm this. It's very dusty out that way.

Originally Posted by Jaime74656
I agree especially if it has the stock air box (non AIS), if it does look at the tabs on the front of box (side closest to grill) and see if they are broken off, if they are there is a fair possibility the turbo has been dusted also if you can check the turbo wheel for play and other signs of play/looseness
Thanks, I will make sure to check this out.

Originally Posted by dsquared
Isn't Nova Scotia the southeastern end of the frozen great white north?

Granted, being more or less an island may keep snow down, but it sure isn't the west!

And who galvanized the bed?

Proceed with caution....
A fellow Canuck

Yes, and we get crazy amounts of snow down here. Unfortunately that means lots of salt as well, however out in Alberta (where as of now that is where it is from. I need to confirm this) they don't use salt I guess. I don't see any signs of chronic rust that would appear if it had been down here for its lifetime. My brother goes to Queen's in Kingston - Ontario is a nice province.

I ignored the galvanized part, I had doubted it is

Originally Posted by Sous
Looks a bit rough for my taste at $8500. The mileage is good for that year, but if it is hard miles (as it appears to be) you may be looking at a money sink.
Yes, 8500 is out of the question for the market up here. I would take 5 grand and if it checked out I would offer him cash. Cash money waving in someone's face does funny things to people who have their cars overpriced it seems.

Originally Posted by binuya
You've got a pretty comprehensive list there in the buyers guide, so take heed of all the advice given there. Aside from that, it looks like an XL in the photo. For bare bones trim level, that price seems a bit high. But then I also don't know the prices and availability of 7.3 PSD's in your region. Good luck!
Their isn't much to go off of for local pricing. The car market around here sucks in general! I'll be sure to go through the list step by step... if he gets antsy that will be my first sign to get out of there.

Originally Posted by holeshotwalt
Another check-
Between the airbox and turbo, the rubber intake hose has a tendency to split along one of the mold lines. It's along the back side (natch) where you can't see it but you can feel along or use a mirror and a flashlight to check it out.

At least out west here, that price is not horrible for those miles on a 7.3.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info, I will look for that.

Getting some more info from the guy that I will post up here later.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Cheers,

Nate

Old 10-03-2015, 03:59 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Sent the guy a long email with different questions about the truck. All I got back was basically "as is where is" come look at it yourself. Doesn't give me a good feeling about the owner and therefore the truck. I'll be passing on this one, but will keep this thread for any future 7.3s I look at. I really appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Nate

Old 10-03-2015, 04:48 PM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
1999 Ford F250 4X4 xlt extended cab long bed 7.3 powersroke diesel

Just for comparison. Just in case you are interested in a trans continental haul.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:57 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
that means there are a lot of issues with the truck he is not willing to disclose..

I WOULD PASS.. but it your money..

Originally Posted by nmclella
Sent the guy a long email with different questions about the truck. All I got back was basically "as is where is" come look at it yourself. Doesn't give me a good feeling about the owner and therefore the truck. I'll be passing on this one, but will keep this thread for any future 7.3s I look at. I really appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Nate

Old 10-03-2015, 05:11 PM
Thomas White
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I would continue looking for a 6.0 2005-2007 on the cheap and Booletproof it!