1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Can't bleed booster...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 05:38 PM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Can't bleed booster...

Happy Labor Day!

Unfortunately I have a load of labor today into my brake bleeding on my '56 F500. I have replaced every line on this truck, rebuilt every cylinder and installed a remanufactured C462C Booster. In following instructions I've found here I'm supposed to bleed the booster first. Some boosters appear to have two bleeders. Mine has one. My buddy did the brake pedal pushing while I worked the bleeder. Now the pedal is rock solid and only moves an inch. The problem: no fluid coming out of the booster bleeder. I even took the bleeder out entirely. No difference. What am I missing here?!

Old 09-07-2015, 07:25 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Connecticut Calvin
Happy Labor Day!

Unfortunately I have a load of labor today into my brake bleeding on my '56 F500. I have replaced every line on this truck, rebuilt every cylinder and installed a remanufactured C462C Booster. In following instructions I've found here I'm supposed to bleed the booster first. Some boosters appear to have two bleeders. Mine has one. My buddy did the brake pedal pushing while I worked the bleeder. Now the pedal is rock solid and only moves an inch. The problem: no fluid coming out of the booster bleeder. I even took the bleeder out entirely. No difference. What am I missing here?!
Sounds like the plunger stuck in the booster. Do you have the big line on the opposite side from the vacuum line vented? I have seen this happen when mud dauber wasps plug the vent line.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:36 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Or do you have the lines to the booster crossed?

Old 09-07-2015, 07:56 PM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
If you mean the atmospheric breather line that is brand new and clear. No wasps. Yet.

And do I have the vacuum lines crossed. Hmm. You may be onto something. Now I have to go over my instructions and diagrams again. If so, did I damage the booster? I've only ran the engine for a minute or two with the new vacuum lines installed. And if they were crossed, would that push the plunger in a position to block me from bleeding the booster?

Old 09-07-2015, 08:13 PM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
My vacuum line from the engine connects to the manifold vacuum supply port on the face of the booster diaphragm housing (not on the back of the hydraulic cylinder) as shown at the absolute bottom of the below picture. Is this correct?

Booster

Old 09-08-2015, 06:37 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
My vacuum line from the engine connects to the manifold vacuum supply port on the face of the booster diaphragm housing (not on the back of the hydraulic cylinder) as shown at the absolute bottom of the below picture. Is this correct?

Booster
Sounds like you have the vacuum lines right. Are the fluid lines correct also?

Old 09-08-2015, 07:30 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Sounds like you have the vacuum lines right. Are the fluid lines correct also?
That's what I was thinking

Old 09-08-2015, 08:47 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by harleymsn
That's what I was thinking

You nailed it Mech/Joe. I had the line connected to the "booster" in the distribution block going to the "output" on the booster itself. The input of the booster was connected to one of the other ports. I switched them. And thanks for the graphic! I looked everywhere for that exact picture earlier!

Old 09-08-2015, 04:29 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
You nailed it Mech/Joe. I had the line connected to the "booster" in the distribution block going to the "output" on the booster itself. The input of the booster was connected to one of the other ports. I switched them. And thanks for the graphic! I looked everywhere for that exact picture earlier!
Glad you got it figured out, sometimes the schematics for the lines are difficult to decipher.