Sponsored by:

Mounting of a Dahl 100 on an Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 10:47 PM
MV7
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mounting of a Dahl 100 on an Excursion

Has anyone mounted a Dahl 100 pre-pump on a 7.3L Excursion? I am looking for a spot that gives the most clearance to ground. Right now it looks like there is a frame cross member just forward of the rear axle out of the way of axle travel. Still at 12.5" it will hang down.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:29 AM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How's the Dahl compare to an AirDog or FASS fuel pump/filter setup?

Looking for a mounting location on my Ex as well.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:02 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Pele
How's the Dahl compare to an AirDog or FASS fuel pump/filter setup?

Looking for a mounting location on my Ex as well.
It doesn't quit and leave you on the side of the road. It runs off the factory pump.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:23 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
It doesn't quit and leave you on the side of the road. It runs off the factory pump.
My AirDog hasn't failed me yet on my Dodge.

What's the GPM rate and psi rating of the stock Ford pump?

Old 08-11-2015, 10:04 PM
MV7
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I chose the Dahl 100 because I have used one before on an Isuzu NPR... it worked like a charm on that one as the factory Isuzu water separator was ($$$) and you could not actually SEE into the thing. I have to admit that I was tempted to use a spin on rated for suction that would give a lower profile and be out of harm's way. I'm accustomed to setups like the Dahl on farm equipment. Pele, the location I am eyeing is shown in the pic. I want to get the top of the unit as close up to the underside of the body as possible yet be able to drop it down temporarily if need be... and out of the way of axle travel, of course.

Proposed filter location.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:56 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
6.0 hfcm was a popular upgrade... Compact, inexpensive, works well, easy to drain, etc.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:35 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod

38-40 GPH @ 45 to 65 PSI somewhere in that arena from what I remember.

I helped installed one on a 2007 F350 and 3 months after installing it, the pump died and left my friend on the side of the road. I'd heard this was an issue with the early pumps, but thought they'd cleaned up their act by now.

Glad to hear things are going good with your Airdog on the Dodge.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:25 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
38-40 GPH @ 45 to 65 PSI somewhere in that arena from what I remember.
Too much pressure and too little flow.

I need at least 100 GPH, preferably close to 200. And I need no more than 20 PSI.

I also need a 4 micron or finer filter.

The Bosch VP44 fuel injection pump is cooled and lubricated by the Diesel flowing through it. Most of the fuel going to it is returned to the tank. Thing is, the injection pump will continue drawing fuel even if the transfer pump in the tank fails... It just won't have cooling or lubrication and will seize up about 500 miles later. Ask me how I know...

Old 08-13-2015, 08:05 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

I bet your Dodge also doesn't run as high of pressures from the lift pump either.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:05 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Too much pressure and too little flow.

I need at least 100 GPH, preferably close to 200. And I need no more than 20 PSI.

I also need a 4 micron or finer filter.

The Bosch VP44 fuel injection pump is cooled and lubricated by the Diesel flowing through it. Most of the fuel going to it is returned to the tank. Thing is, the injection pump will continue drawing fuel even if the transfer pump in the tank fails... It just won't have cooling or lubrication and will seize up about 500 miles later. Ask me how I know...
I did some reading on the Cummins and know that to be true. The same actually applies to the 6.0, but the pump has to fail while the truck is running. It'll run like crap, but it'll run...you probably won't go too far too fast either. This is why a fuel pressure gauge is your best friend on a 6.0.

I say "ask me how I know" a lot too. People usually don't question me when I do...

Old 08-13-2015, 10:41 AM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
I bet your Dodge also doesn't run as high of pressures from the lift pump either.
Nope, but lots more GPM. Specs posted above.

I did some reading on the Cummins and know that to be true. The same actually applies to the 6.0, but the pump has to fail while the truck is running. It'll run like crap, but it'll run...you probably won't go too far too fast either. This is why a fuel pressure gauge is your best friend on a 6.0.

I say "ask me how I know" a lot too. People usually don't question me when I do...
Mine ran perfectly fine, despite a loss in fuel pressure. I was able to tow a car on a trailer almost 300 miles at highway speeds and drive a couple hundred miles of stop and go traffic without any noticeable symptoms.

I bought my Dodge and the previous owner had a slide-in camper and then a 5th wheel. There was some dodgy wiring under the hood. (Pardon the pun) and I figured it was from some stuff the previous owner put in.

As an electronics technician, I HATE loose wires. (I'll go through a bag of zip ties on a stereo install.) I HATE wires twisted together and wrapped up in tape. (Solder, or at least crimp splices with weatherproof shrink tube on it.) So I ripped it out. Anything wired like that shouldn't be critical.

Towed my wife's car on a U-Haul trailer (Bought my truck in Jersey off of eBay, I live south of Washington DC.) Then I drove it to and from work for two weeks before the truck died on the side of the road.

Apparently, the wiring I pulled out was DEALER INSTALLED. Cummins supplies a Carter pump on the side of the engine block. Chrysler issued a TSB to replace that with an in-tank pump. The wiring was to feed that pump. Any dealer technician that twists wires together and wraps them in tape should be fired and be ashamed of themselves.

The VP44 is a hybrid pump. It's a rotary style mechanical pump with electronic controls for fuel and timing.

Because of the lack of fuel flow, the rotor part of the "distributor" that feeds fuel to the cylinders seized up.

I dropped two grand on a new VP44, an AirDog II 165 GPH pump (Tank sump/draw straw mod included), and a full set of Isspro gauges. (Fuel pressure, Boost, EGT, and Trans Temp)