secure storage ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 06:19 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
secure storage ideas

Hey everyone,

My ex was broken into 2 nights ago and the thieves made off with about 3 grand of tools. Does anyone have any ideas for safe storage in back of an ex? Maybe something like those boxes made for pickup beds. Only idea I have is bolting a gang box to the floor of the ex where the 3rd row usually goes. I'm not looking to spend too much so try to keep the suggestions to something that wouldn't cost too much more then $500ish.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:28 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear that, 1st pack up all your stuff 2nd move to Rye NY.... Less theft more parking, beautiful area.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:37 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Yes, it's beautiful up there. I once biked up to Stamford and passed through on the way. Long bicycle rides is a great way to see and enjoy the scenery. I plan on moving out of the city in a year or two but until then I need a safe and somewhat convenient way to keep everything locked up.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Depends on how much you need and want to spend. Heres one company.

TruckVault - TruckVault for your SUV

TruckVault - TruckVault Command Center Line

Sometimes you can luck out and find government/fleet pulls on Craigslist for around your budget.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:47 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Yeah those are not cheap. I just configured one and its over 2 grand. There's a guy selling a couple of different used ones on craigslist not too far from me. I'm going to try to check them out and see if I can make it work. The only downside is that they are made of wood. Probably can be cracked open with a crow bar. With a steel gang box it's a little harder to break in.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:15 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just put a job box from Lowes back there. They are tough. You won't be able to find anything else that's very secure in your budget.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:56 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Do you know what size you got? Can you open the lid fully without hitting the roof?

Old 07-08-2015, 11:34 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 944 Likes on 686 Posts
Old 07-09-2015, 07:17 AM
DidieX
Elder User
Thanks.

The problem with all these ideas is they are either two small or made of plastic or wood. I need something large, made of metal and lockable. Plastic or wood can be broken open with a prybar too easily. I'm thinking about the weather guard pack rat series but they are mostly smaller and the big ones have non removable dividers that run the length of the drawers which really limits it to smaller items. And the custom metal ones from other manufacturers run upward of 2 grand easily.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:08 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
I ditched the wood one I built for a metal frame one with wood outer sheeting.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14801777

For the price range you want, I seriously doubt you will find anything that is more than a basic metal box.

If you took my plans and made a single drawer instead of two and cut out the diamond plate for the drawer faces, you could cut the price down by maybe a third, but you are still looking at well over $500 to make a single-drawer version.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:38 AM
DidieX
Elder User
Robert, those are some nice drawers! I'd love to build something like that, if only I had the time and space. My current living and working situation wouldn't allow for it unfortunately though. There's one in your original thread from Northern tool that looks pretty good. I may buy 2 of those and be done with it. Expensive but not terribly so and time is money too. Thanks for the info.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:47 AM
gunnar01
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could you use the steel vaults you can mount under the rear Jeep seats? That way you can mount your 3 rd row on top of the vault. Have the drawer facing the tailgate so you can slide it out to get to your stuff. I believe they are about $200-$300..... Maybe place 2 side by side? Just a thought! Good luck!

Old 07-09-2015, 11:12 AM
DidieX
Elder User
I'm not sure which ones you're referring to but if it's fts under a seat then it's probably too shalom for my needs.

I found these 2, the second is cheaper but still well over a grand.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-314-heavy-duty-truck-bed-security-drawers-66l-x-14h.aspx

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-309-tahoe-expedition-and-h1-tactical-gear-security-drawer.aspx

Old 07-09-2015, 06:33 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Help us out here...what size tools are you looking to carry, and how many?

I mean, if you are talking hand tools, you might be able to get away with a Pelican case attached to the 3rd row seat mount:

A little over $600

If you are talking pry bars, sledges, etc., then a truck drawer from Northern Tool might work:

About $299

Old 07-09-2015, 06:52 PM
DidieX
Elder User
I have some hand tools and power tools plus some other expensive tools. The amount I have varies on a daily basis, some power tools get left on the jobsites and as soon as they are no longer needed they go back in my truck, otherwise they grow legs..... So the amount of tools varies from 3 or 4 power tools to up to 10 or possibly even more, most are different kinds of drills. Some are cordless, some corded. I looked into some stuff from Adrian Steel. Specifically the AS-20, AS-30 and AS-40. The biggest is about 4 feet long, 40 inches wide and 12 inches tall. The inside height of the drawers is about 10 inches which is doable. Weatherguard also has a one, I think it's 338-3 that's about the same size. There are others out there buth a lot of them are only 10 inches tall on the outside which means the actual height of the inside of the draws is around 6 inches. I think the ones from northern tool are about that which is a little tight for larger power tool. So I'm basically down to the weatherguard or the adrian steel. I found one on craigslist that might be exactly what I need, I should have more info on it on Monday as the seller is out of town for the weekend.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I really appreciate it. I'm just really worried about something getting stolen again so I'm trying to find a solution as fast as possible.

Quick Reply: secure storage ideas