1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

51 F1 won't start! Thought it was something simple now I'm about to rip my hair out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 03:17 PM
Poppy545
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Armedsvt,
The howling or siren noise reminds me a starter motor turning over without engaging the flywheel teeth. But I understand that that particular starter is gone now, so lets look at the next item.
You said that you checked the ground circuit and everything was good, but may I ask a few questions. Did your new or rebuilt starter come with a fresh coat of paint on it? Remember that the electrical path for the starter is the point where the starter physically contacts your engine block. Make sure all the paint has been removed from this area. Once this is done, connect your jumper cables to your battery. Now I think you have a 6 VDC positive ground system. If this is correct, you can connect one lead of your jumper cables from the positive batter post to the engine block. Next, connect the negative post of your battery to one end of your jumper cable. Now before you do anything else, make sure the ignition switch is off, the parking brake is set, and the transmission is in park or neutral. Now forcefully tap the other end of the jumper cable to the electrical post on the starter. If your circuit path through the engine block is good, the starter should begin to run. If this doesn't turn the starter motor over, your connection from the starter to the engine block is fowled by paint, rust, or oil. Once you can get your starter to turn over this way, check to see if it will start the normal way. If it doesn't start the normal turn the switch way, then the problem is in the ignition switch circuit and not the low voltage/high amperage current path.
If you have a negative grounded system, connect the negative side of the battery to the engine block and tap the positive end of the jumper cable to the starter post connection. The test results are the same. Good luck friend!

Old 06-04-2015, 03:42 PM
Smitty49
Senior User
Have you preformed a Voltage Drop test on your cables?

Old 06-04-2015, 04:46 PM
Armedsvt
Freshman User
I was hoping that maybe the battery was not getting enough juice just by jumping it. I took the battery to autozone to get charged, the battery was charged and showing its good. Came home, put it in and crossed my fingers and again nothing.

Seems like something so simple. I'm sure I've gotten a few more gray hairs since this problem started.

I'll keep u guys posted.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:51 PM
Armedsvt
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Poppy545
Hello Armedsvt,
The howling or siren noise reminds me a starter motor turning over without engaging the flywheel teeth. But I understand that that particular starter is gone now, so lets look at the next item.
You said that you checked the ground circuit and everything was good, but may I ask a few questions. Did your new or rebuilt starter come with a fresh coat of paint on it? Remember that the electrical path for the starter is the point where the starter physically contacts your engine block. Make sure all the paint has been removed from this area. Once this is done, connect your jumper cables to your battery. Now I think you have a 6 VDC positive ground system. If this is correct, you can connect one lead of your jumper cables from the positive batter post to the engine block. Next, connect the negative post of your battery to one end of your jumper cable. Now before you do anything else, make sure the ignition switch is off, the parking brake is set, and the transmission is in park or neutral. Now forcefully tap the other end of the jumper cable to the electrical post on the starter. If your circuit path through the engine block is good, the starter should begin to run. If this doesn't turn the starter motor over, your connection from the starter to the engine block is fowled by paint, rust, or oil. Once you can get your starter to turn over this way, check to see if it will start the normal way. If it doesn't start the normal turn the switch way, then the problem is in the ignition switch circuit and not the low voltage/high amperage current path.
If you have a negative grounded system, connect the negative side of the battery to the engine block and tap the positive end of the jumper cable to the starter post connection. The test results are the same. Good luck friend!
Thank you so much for the info! I'll do that and keep u posted.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:52 PM
Armedsvt
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Smitty49
Have you preformed a Voltage Drop test on your cables?
I'm pretty sure my buddy did that but I'll double check. Thanks for the info!

Old 06-04-2015, 04:54 PM
Armedsvt
Freshman User
A big thank you to everybody.

I'll let you guys know the outcome.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:55 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
My 8N Ford tractor did the same thing and I did all the checks suggested. Finally I used a jumper wire from the starter case to the ground and it cranked over. I had the same high pitched squeal you mentioned. I had replaced the starter about 3 yrs. ago. How it lost it's ground is a mystery to me. The 8N starter and the F1 look identical. Good luck.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:51 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Where does your ground cable from the battery connect to the engine?

Old 06-05-2015, 02:25 PM
Armedsvt
Freshman User
She's alive!!! Again.

Finally solved the mystery!

It ended up being the negative cable that goes from the battery to the top of the head where it was grounded. I had cleaned the ends of the cable a bunch of times but didn't clean the spot where the cable touches the head. I sanded the crap out of it and voila!

I let the truck run for about 10 mins then turned it off. Went inside to clean up, then ate dinner. After dinner I went to turn her on again to put her in the garage. Started the truck again, and a bunch of smoke came from the engine compartment. The same negative battery cable had melted and almost caught fire!

I went to AutoZone, bought a new cable, and finally problem fixed. I'm guessing that cable was old and caroted.

A huge THANK YOU to everybody!!!
I truly truly appreciate everybody's help!

Old 06-05-2015, 05:00 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Armedsvt
She's alive!!! Again.

Finally solved the mystery!

It ended up being the negative cable that goes from the battery to the top of the head where it was grounded. I had cleaned the ends of the cable a bunch of times but didn't clean the spot where the cable touches the head. I sanded the crap out of it and voila!

I let the truck run for about 10 mins then turned it off. Went inside to clean up, then ate dinner. After dinner I went to turn her on again to put her in the garage. Started the truck again, and a bunch of smoke came from the engine compartment. The same negative battery cable had melted and almost caught fire!

I went to AutoZone, bought a new cable, and finally problem fixed. I'm guessing that cable was old and caroted.

A huge THANK YOU to everybody!!!
I truly truly appreciate everybody's help!
Sounds like you found the culprit. I think you said you're running 12 volts, so any battery cable you buy should work. If you were still on 6 volts, you need a heavier battery cable.

Funny, if you look at the post by Ross directly ahead of your last, he suggests that's where your problem was... Way to go Ross!

Old 06-05-2015, 05:07 PM
Armedsvt
Freshman User
Lol that's right! Winner winner chicken dinner!

Old 06-07-2015, 09:05 AM
Poppy545
New User
Glad to help. Enjoy your old ride.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:38 AM
F-ONE
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Started the truck again, and a bunch of smoke came from the engine compartment. The same negative battery cable had melted and almost caught fire!
Auto zone battery cables are too small! You'll just burn them up again like I have done on mine. My truck is 12 volt as well. Get some heavy duty battery cable. Check and make sure the engine has it's ground strap as well.

Some heavy duty 6 volt size cable and you'll never have any more trouble with it.