1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Super Nationals thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 10:12 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Super Nationals thoughts

It's about that time again. Who's going?

Wish someone would demonstrate DIY welding technics at Super Nationals. Seems to me back in the 70-80s larger Meets had those type demonstrations including pinstripers/air brushers that would pinstripe/air brush your ride there at the show. Even had Holley on site that would rebuild and set up your carb to your ride.
Another DIY could be setting up your AOD. Seems like a lot of discussion on burning up Trannies if not done right.
Not sure how doable these demonstrations are but I'd have to believe they would draw enthusiasts to the show.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:53 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 970 Likes on 864 Posts
Which, "Super Nationals" are you referring to? The Ford Nationals at Carlisle in June? Yes, I'm going but I don't know yet if it will be with the F-1, the Super Duty or the Mustang. The F-100 Nationals are in Tenn. next weekend. I don't think I'll be able to make it. Then there are the Super Nationals in New Mexico in September. Not to mention the ones in Ohio and countless other locations.
I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just suggesting being a bit more specific might help.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:26 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
It's about that time again. Who's going?

Wish someone would demonstrate DIY welding technics at Super Nationals. Seems to me back in the 70-80s larger Meets had those type demonstrations including pinstripers/air brushers that would pinstripe/air brush your ride there at the show. Even had Holley on site that would rebuild and set up your carb to your ride.
Another DIY could be setting up your AOD. Seems like a lot of discussion on burning up Trannies if not done right.
Not sure how doable these demonstrations are but I'd have to believe they would draw enthusiasts to the show.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Stop by the swap meet area where Bigwin56, olduhaul and myself will give demos on how to take your money for old parts and iron.

Originally Posted by pbsdaddy
Which, "Super Nationals" are you referring to? The Ford Nationals at Carlisle in June? Yes, I'm going but I don't know yet if it will be with the F-1, the Super Duty or the Mustang. The F-100 Nationals are in Tenn. next weekend. I don't think I'll be able to make it. Then there are the Super Nationals in New Mexico in September. Not to mention the ones in Ohio and countless other locations.
I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just suggesting being a bit more specific might help.
I think pretty much the majority of the members here in this section understood that he was talking about the F100 Supernationals next week in Lebanon, Tn.
The 'Carlisle Ford Nationals' is not normally referred to as Super Nationals, and the Super Nationals car show in Albuquerque was held the first week of Feb.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:24 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by harleymsn
I think pretty much the majority of the members here in this section understood that he was talking about the F100 Supernationals next week in Lebanon, Tn. The 'Carlisle Ford Nationals' is not normally referred to as Super Nationals, and the Super Nationals car show in Albuquerque was held the first week of Feb.
Yep. Agreed.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:42 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Point taken! Yes, I'm asking about the F100 Super Nationals in Lebanon, TN. I'm arriving Wednesday the 13th and leaving some time Saturday. Gonna do some "horse trading" with Bigwin56F100 and planning on taking lots of pictures.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:54 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I don't think a welding demo at a show would be possible, or at least not practical. You'd have to set up flash curtains, equip the entire audience with welding helmets so they could see what's going on without getting flash burns, and it would need to be a small group so everyone could get in close enough position to see.
If you want welding or bodywork lessons come on down and I'll set up a group or one on one workshop.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:04 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Another thought for welding instructions: many "Technical Schools", and "Community Colleges", offer night classes in welding and other trades useable in the automotive industry.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:35 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Most welding schools teach welding structural (thicker) metals. I'm one of the few that teaches MIG welding thin body sheet metal, as well as how to then metal work the heat shrinkage and/or warpage out of the panel, and do it in a 2 day workshop!

Old 05-09-2015, 07:53 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Sorry this is so long. I couldn't find anything that just covered welding. But page 22 of the brochure will give an idea of what I was referring to. For me, were I interested, this would be cheaper than driving down to Durham for a couple days. Although, what you offer would seems to be more task related.

https://www.dtcc.edu/sites/default/f...t-schedule.pdf

Old 05-09-2015, 08:03 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Pbsdaddy,
But where's the fun in that. There aren't any 53-56 F100 guys at the local school. I've gotta get my act togeather and figure out a time to go to Ax's course. Sounds like Fun

But we digress! My point originally was what has happened to the DIY demonstrations and specialty artists at these events?

Old 05-09-2015, 08:41 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by AXracer
Most welding schools teach welding structural (thicker) metals. I'm one of the few that teaches MIG welding thin body sheet metal, as well as how to then metal work the heat shrinkage and/or warpage out of the panel, and do it in a 2 day workshop!
Well, they have a vocational school about 25 miles from my house that offers the kind of courses that PBSDaddy suggested, but hey I'd rather drive the 6 1/2 hrs to Ax's to work on the stuff I want to learn. Be especially good if I could bring my 51 along to practice on, or for the demos!

Old 05-09-2015, 09:20 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Well, they have a vocational school about 25 miles from my house that offers the kind of courses that PBSDaddy suggested, but hey I'd rather drive the 6 1/2 hrs to Ax's to work on the stuff I want to learn. Be especially good if I could bring my 51 along to practice on, or for the demos!
Less expensive than having one fender professionally repaired, and learn a lifetime skill, plus the satisfaction of saying "I did that!".
Bring one of your fenders to work on, that is encouraged, I don't keep a stock of fenders in need of repair to demo on. Time constraint would limit to one patch and a dent removal or two tho. I am willing to do a one on one workshop.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:05 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by AXracer
Less expensive than having one fender professionally repaired, and learn a lifetime skill, plus the satisfaction of saying "I did that!".
Bring one of your fenders to work on, that is encouraged, I don't keep a stock of fenders in need of repair to demo on. Time constraint would limit to one patch and a dent removal or two tho. I am willing to do a one on one workshop.
The front fenders on the 51 are like swiss cheese, they make that one that Bob Jones did like a factory new fender. The good news is the truck came with a set of new Fiberglass fenders. I haven't got the rear fenders off to see how many pounds of bondo are in them.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:33 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Time and promoter change slowed down the demos BJ. I can recall when Dennis Carpenter and Fatman would have demos at the old Grand in Pigeon Forge. Now if you want to see a car wax or jewelry cleaning demo you might be in luck

Although I only live 35 miles away from the show site work will limit me to only attending on Thursday. Maybe I will get a chance to meet some of the FTE'ers I plan to wear my blue Ford Trucks Lanyard. Safe Travels to all.