Sponsored by: DP Tuner

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 01:22 PM
rkulp89
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?!?!?

My HPOP was leaking so I pulled it our last weekend along with the fuel bowl and put all new seals in. All my previous leaks are sealed but now this stupid fuel bowl is being a major PIA.

The return line coming off the FPR will not stop leaking! It was slowly dripping when I first replaced the bowl and I thought the leak was between the fuel bowl and FPR housing. I ordered new rings and put it back together.... still leaking.

I wrapped a towel around the fuel fitting and realized that is were the leak is actually coming from. I went to the parker store today and got 3 new 60VL5 sleeves. The first one tore while sling over the fuel line (I was using 2cycle oil as lubricate). The second one leaked even worse.

In a desperate attempt to stop the leak, I slid the sleeve onto the fuel line as far back as it would go. I inserted the fuel line into the bowl and then put a thin coat of rtv on the exposed fuel line. I slid the sleeve over the rtv and then put a light coat of the outside of the sleeve. I tightened the nut up and am waiting for things to dry before trying again.

Why is this fitting giving me such a hard time? I've pulled the FPR housing and it is not cracked so I don't know what the deal is.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:01 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
RTV's not going to help seal against fuel.

That casting onto which the return fuel line nut is threaded is extremely easy to crack. It's supposedly made of pot metal.

Check again?

Dunno....

Pop

Old 05-02-2015, 03:18 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you make sure you dug out ALL of the old fuel sleeve that is between the fuel line and nut. If not that could be your problem or the FPR housing has a small crack in the threads.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:49 PM
rkulp89
New User
I inspected the FPR housing very closely when I had it out the first time it leaked and did not see any cracks whatsoever.

The FPR housing and fuel line was cleaned very well and actually, cleaning the crud off the fuel line with a scotch brite made it leak even worse.

I let the RTV set for a couple hours and tested the line and so far so good. I drained the fuel bowl and am going to wait till dark to check for leaks again with the UV light. If it leaks again or I ever pull the bowl out, ill be replacing the FPR with a billet one.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:39 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
The remainder of the old sleeve may be inside the nut fitting, not on the line. Dig around in there with something pointy, but don't gouge it, it's brass IIRC.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:28 PM
rkulp89
New User
I checked for leaks with the UV light tonight and everything is finally dry! IDK if it was the RTV on the o-rings, RTV on the threads or just pure coincidence.

I really hate not doing things the correct way but I tried multiple times to do it right and the darn thing wouldn't play nice.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:45 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I had a similar experience, but on my IDI's passenger side front injector line. I bought a tube of Permatex high temp thread sealant designed for use on fuel fittings at a parts store. It worked great. I was ready to take a sledge to the motor trying to get that leak to stop. I didn't want to turn the fuel line nut much more in fear of breaking it.

I used that same thread sealant on the plugs on my PSD's fuel bowl rebuild kit. A couple of other fittings too. It seems like the fuel bowl is prone to leak and I didn't want to **** with it again. (Actually, it seems like Ford diesels are prone to leak.) My OEM FPR never leaked, but I opted for the billet FPR to avoid the potential pot metal issues.

Add a tube of that high temp thread sealant to your supplies. It's in a white tube the size of a blue thread lock tube.