Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 harmonic damper install, 2000 F-250

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 12:09 PM
moparwoody
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 harmonic damper install, 2000 F-250

Has anyone replaced a harmonic damper with a crankshaft damper wear ring? Ford manual listed p/n 6310, but the new part number might be 6700. From what I've seen of Auto Zone and Napa, the replacement harmonic damper does not have the wear ring and they cannot order one. Just ordered the wear ring from Ford today, but I'm not sure if it will work. People call it a oil slinger, speedi sleeve, or a wear ring. Crank sleeve makes sense to me.
I'd like to try a Napa damper and install a sleeve on it, since the Ford harmonic damper is $182 and probably doesn't have the sleeve anyway.
I've read a lot of posts where people replace the damper, sometimes just remove/reinstall for the Melling oil pump replacement. Didn't see much discussion of the sleeve. My old oil pump has been leaking at the crank for years, and finally getting to it since I'm replacing the water pump too. Thanks, Jack.

By the way, taking a 1" piece of angle iron and putting one end on the torque converter teeth and clamping the other end to the suspension with vice grips worked great for removing the harmonic damper bolt. 3' long breaker bar made it extremely easy to loosen the bolt, like butter. An air hammer might work, but I'm always leery to use one on an engine.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm really not sure what your question is . . .

Old 05-02-2015, 01:50 PM
moparwoody
New User
From what the parts guys say, they cannot order the sleeve for the harmonic damper. I'm wondering if people just put the harmonic damper on without a sleeve, and if so, do they have oil leaks.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:22 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
i installed an oem h.b., 4yrs ago. Dont remember any sleeve..etc nor do i have leaks. i do remember though, having to hit up Ace for a longer crank bolt, to "start" the balancer on. Once one, removed bolt, and installed oem bolt and snugged ur up

Old 05-02-2015, 02:45 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I suspect you will have to order a Speedi-Sleeve, as they are not normally kept in stock anywhere. That is, however, only if you actually NEED one.

If your harmonic balancer snout is worn significantly, then yes, you may have an oil leak from the front seal. If it's not leaking now, and there isn't a significant gouge, then just put it back together as-is.

I wouldn't use an aftermarket balancer on the engine. If it has begun to slip the outer ring against the rubber and inner portion (how would you know?), then I'd get another one from International, not Ford.

Speedi-Sleeves have their place, but not every application needs one.

Pop

Old 05-02-2015, 05:51 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
The stock balancer should already have a sleeve on it. When you order a front seal, the one at the front of the lube oil pump, it often comes with a new sleeve.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:39 PM
moparwoody
New User
Thank you for your help.

The one I bought is same as http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rn...250-super-duty which shows a good picture. The wear ring is a type of steel that the seal would rub against and not get eaten up. This replacement damper is machined cast iron, but is still rough. That is why I asked the original question, if people installed that wear ring on a replacement damper since the local parts stores don't sell one, or noticed leaks after replacing the damper.

The posting http://www.forddieselpower.com/forum...?t=5320&page=3 shows exactly what I'm talking about, and has great pictures. The posting calls it a collar on the damper.
My problem is that the replacement damper doesn't have that sleeve (or collar, or wear ring). The posting didn't seem clear if they had the same problem.

Local ford parts shop couldn't say if their replacement damper had a wear ring, and said they couldn't order the wear ring separately. Next farther ford parts shop didn't know anything about the parts either, but said they could order the wear ring.

The original damper on my truck seemed to have some play when I put a prybar behind it, like the manual says to do. Didnt measure the movement, but could see it. And the rubber is bulging about 1/16"+ evenly all around, which some posts said is an indication the damper is bad. But then I see people selling the same used type on Ebay with bulging rubber.

I can't find a damper for a T444e International, which I think is the same engine. The pictures of the damper installed look the same. Thanks for that suggestion, and will keep looking.
Really wish I'd seen the write up on the water pump swap a couple of weeks ago. Would have been nice to have a coolant filter.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:22 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
It's hard to tell from a picture, but it looks like that balancer is cut for a wear sleeve, which would make sense since the original part had one. Do you have a vernier caliper you could measure it with? I know I can't get a micrometer in to measure, but I think I have an old sleeve sitting around I could probably measure. Maybe a parts store that has a seal and sleeve in stock would be willing to let you see if the sleeve will fit?

Old 05-03-2015, 08:47 PM
moparwoody
New User
Old one is 2.5045 inch, new one is 2.4995, using my free Harbor Freight vernier caliper. The new one is probably not intended to have a sleeve, but just enough of a difference to make me question it. 0.01" difference, plus wear on the old one. Thought I ran across a spec saying the wear ring is .060 inch thick, but can't find it now.

I'll have to heat up the old one to pop it off, and then measure the casting. Should have done that in the first place, I guess. That, and I'll get the new wear ring from Ford next weekend.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:26 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I changed my LPOP (for no good reason) it came with a new wear ring. I removed the old one and the new one leaked from day one. Fixed it for good when I installed a Fluidampr, which imo is rather worthless on an engine that shakes as much as a diesel. I know International has an installation tool for the wear ring, it might help you to get your hands on it.