General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Ranger or Mustang for daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 09:47 PM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to keep being a pest. You guys have kind of talked me out of getting a front wheel drive car. Now I am thinking of a Mustang v6.

Drive is 70 miles total, 98% freeway at 70 mph. A Ranger would probably be a 4 cyl, 5 speed. I would prefer a 5 speed Mustang but may have to settle for an automatic.

Which way would you go? Again I value your input.

Old 07-26-2003, 10:01 PM
Jarlaxle
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ranger. If you're going to drive an appliance, at least get one that gets good mileage & can haul something.

I suggest a Mustang GT, though.

Old 07-26-2003, 11:13 PM
phatpharm85
Elder User

Go with a ranger, and go with a 4.0 5 speed. I drive alot of back windy hilly roads(30-35 mph) with some highway and can manage to get 18 sometimes 19 out of it. I know on straight highway i can easily get over 20 mpg. I drive about 50 miles a day, and it is so comfortable. My dad has a 95 mustang gt and its not nearly as nice to drive as my ranger. Sure its quicker and its a drop top(hard to beat) but for a drivers vehicle i would take my ranger anyday. I dont know what year stang your looking at but maybe the new ones are better. With the drivetrain set up I have I can still out run quit a bit and its stock. Not to mention I'm 5'2" so the hieght is appreciated haha.

Old 07-26-2003, 11:17 PM
Mike W
Post Fiend

Either one would be 2 to 4 years old.

Old 07-26-2003, 11:23 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Something to be aware of is that a V-6 mustang has a very low re-sale value, so they are a great buy if they are a few years old. They are going to be a little more comfortable to drive than a GT, but get 25+ MPG.

Old 07-26-2003, 11:28 PM
Mike W
Post Fiend

Do you think I would see 25 mpg in the Mustang?

Old 07-26-2003, 11:39 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When I have the choice, I actually prefer to take my Ranger on long highway trips over my Taurus. The truck rides that nice. I use the Taurus more often when I head into the city and/or I'm zipping around town scrapping for parking spaces, etc.

If you go with a Ranger spend a little more $$ and get some good tires for it and you'll be all set.

Old 07-27-2003, 01:05 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend

If you are going to work on your own vehicle, the Ranger will be nicer. If you have someone else do the work and are tall, the Mustang might be a better choice. Though I do not like backing the current Mustangs up because you can not see out the back over the high deck and the mirrors are not that big compared to a Ranger. Though it excels in the going forward area, even the V-6 :-)

I love the 4.0/5 spd in the Ranger, but, considering your mileage, I would go 4 cyl., 5 spd, A/C. That combo will save a lot of gas over a 4.0 for a commuting vehicle.

Take both types for a 20 min. drive. Mustang to me feels a lot nicer to sit in. Though getting out of it in a crowded garage can be a hassle.

Old 07-27-2003, 03:35 AM
1997RangerXLT
Posting Guru

The Ranger would get better mileage and much lower insurance.

Old 07-27-2003, 05:04 AM
droptop
Senior User

I own a V-6 Ranger S/C and a V-6 Mustang. Both are great vehicles, and I enjoy driving each of them. They have advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I can't really form an objective opinion based on a 15-20 minute drive. Why don't you drive both of them on the same route that you would use on a daily basis? That way you'd get a feel for what each vehicle is like based on your routine. You may find out that a 5sp. Ranger is great on gas, but you're shifting in and out of 5th to keep up with interstate traffic. Or you may not like the way a Mustang feels when you are behind an 18 wheeler.

You should be able to get 25 mpg. with a V-6 auto Mustang on the highway. You are probably going to get popped on insurance with a Mustang even if you have a perfect driving record and can get all of the discounts that the insurance company has to offer. In my neck of the woods, you get hit on the comprehensive coverage part.

The Ranger S/C is a very comfortable daily driver. Drive both a regular cab and a super cab to see which one you like. I think that the S/C rides better than the regular cab, probably because of its longer wheelbase. Also, the space behind the seats is great for storing stuff. If you're tall, you may not have enough leg room in either a Mustang or a regular cab Ranger. Rangers are fairly inexpensive to insure.

Drive both and form your own opinion. As I said, they both have their respective advantages and disadvantages.