Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

owners both PS and IDI's, built IDI's do they compare?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 10:02 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
owners both PS and IDI's, built IDI's do they compare?

If you go all out and build a IDI right can it compare to a PS in miles per gallon, performance and reliability ?

I am just curious because I want to go strictly old school on all stuff I buy in the future. I just bought a motorcycle and it was the last of the mega old school bikes. No computers for me or am I just miss informed ?

Old 04-06-2015, 10:19 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
End game ps has more fuel unless you do something like a p-pump. But if you want that much power, i cant believe im saying this, but you would be better off i think with a cummins or dt360. Durability i want to say the bottom end of a psd and a idit are almost identical. It only takes a $500 turbo kit to make an idi run with or better than a stock psd. Pump, bigger turbo and studs will get you in the 400/800+ range depending on pump and turbo. Hell mine with a wore out leaky turbo and wore out leaky pump would run with our 97. From experience IDIs typically get slightly better mileage, gearing and weight being equal. Reliability wise, i think theyre equal, you have cam sensors and crap that go bad on a psd, and o-rings and crap that go out on an IDI, but the o-ring thing is usually a 1 time deal. Pump and injectors last 100k on an idi and 200k on a psd, but you can buy a pump and injectors for an idi cheaper than set of injectors for a psd.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:32 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The thing about the IDI is it's a lot easier to screw up your fuel economy with timing. It's kinda hard to mess with a PSD with a wrench...

If the timing is wrong, you can easily halve your fuel economy with an IDI...

I love my IDI, BTW. So much easier to work on and screw with, modify and mod.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:57 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Actually Hairy you hit it on the head. I read this stuff where these guy's are taking F350's and loading them down with like way more than they were designed to haul and the motor is built for it but not the chasses so what they are doing makes no sense to me.

Like you said if you want to haul 40 or 50 grand get a F800 with a Cummins Allison and have a truck designed to work like that. A 1 ton should not need more than 300 HP and 5 or 600 pounds of torque to do any reasonable job the chasses was designed to handle.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:02 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Realslowww
A 1 ton should not need more than 300 HP and 5 or 600 pounds of torque to do any reasonable job the chasses was designed to handle.
Bingo, or at the very least a new F450, but if you just want a 600hp diesel, i wouldnt build a 7.3 of any veriety, at least for a DD, thats why they make 6.7 powerstrokes lol.

Example, im putting a 110cc pump and s363 turbo on mine, I should have 300/650ish to the ground when im done. Which would be about the same as a 7.3psd with 6pos, intake, exhaust and sticks. or a 6.0 with a tuner (which you cant reliably run without dropping 4k for a bulletproof kit). Assuming you want a ford diesel, cheapest way is idi to 300hp, on top of that, anything that says powerstroke on it is about twice the cost of something that doesnt.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:30 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Are the newer Super duty chasses made better ? I do not like the way the windows fall out of the OBS.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:10 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Realslowww
I do not like the way the windows fall out of the OBS.
Um, have you considered fixing yours? The SD windows MIGHT be less likely to fall out, but maybe just they just haven't been on the road as long (yet). And of course, they lack the wing window.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:11 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
I am just curious how the newer design cab works long term, I have had many many OBS and the cab has a few issues and this is one.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:01 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Superduty body suck unless single cab. Nothing but rattles and door squeaks. wtf are you talking about windows falling out?? None of our 92-97 pickups have had any issues out of the norm, they range from 207k - 489k and all desert, rocks, gravel road, bouncin through sage brush kinda stuff. Except i take that back, only the 94F350 does it, but the brake calipers rattle on washboard, gets pretty annoying, but its the one with close to 500k and is our pumper / feed rig.

On top of the squeaking, SD sway bars love to break, especally the front.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:19 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Driver's window was LOOSE (DIDN'T fall OUT) on my '85 when I bought it. Turns out the division bar, which extends way down into the door and holds the glass in place as you open it, had rusted away at the bottom. Got a replacement at, I forget, LMC or the Graveyard or some such, and some new track felts. Regulator is a little sloppy, but the window is not going anywhere now.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
I was just wondering because I have a 99 f 150 single cab and
like it does not have window air leaks and rattles like my OBS. Most on this site know way more than me , I was just curious and thought the newer cabs were made better but you say they are cheesey kinda ?

Thanks for the help.

What does the 92-97 offer the older brick nose do not and how well made were the cabs on the 78 n 79. I really like those looks.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:50 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
You have to remember, your f150 is a half ton. And a pretty light duty one at that. The suspension is soft and takes the pounding. That being said, my 2000 f150 has a crack in the door by the bottom rear corner of the window. I took it to two reputable body shops and they both said it will do it again because of the weight of the door. My obs has over twice the mileage and no cracks in the steel.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
So the newer trucks have less steel in them ?, on the Super Duty site they say the Super Duty is made better. I guess they have more beef in some areas that pertain to work but the older cab has more beef in sheet metal?

The redesigned F150 was quieter inside and I liked how roomy it was in interior design.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:16 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
The super duties are heavier. And quieter. That's not to say there is or isn't more steel, just more weight

Old 04-07-2015, 09:08 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
The super duties are heavier. And quieter. That's not to say there is or isn't more steel, just more weight

If there heavier they must have more beef somewhere. I do not like the way the new ones look nor could I afford one. Do you have a Moose pump anywhere ?

Quick Reply: owners both PS and IDI's, built IDI's do they compare?