1961 Econoline Full-on Custom

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 01:23 PM
WIREPULLER
Junior User
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I fabricated a bracket for the steering column heim joint. It hides nicely under the existing column support. I'll post a pic of it once I have it off and fully tacked down.

Next I had to figure where a good location for the steering box would be. Right about here looks good.

Then I tacked the steering shafts to the UJoints and bolted it together. Yup, I'm Canadian...that's black hockey stick tape holding it all together!

Here you can kind of see the hidden heim joint.

And roughly in place, minus the steering box support brackets. It will move up above the lowest level of the body and towards the front cowl.

Next I had to fabricate a filler panel where the existing steering equipment was located.

And here it is all tacked into place.

I need to finish weld the filler panel, fabricate a bracket to hold the lower heim joint for the R&P shaft and design secure mounting brackets for the steering box. Also need to source out a vendor that splines steel shafts so I can mount my steering wheel to the steering shaft.

I sourced out some rigid type L 1/2" copper tubing for my air lines. I have a line on a stainless steel tubing bender, so my bends should be tight. I am undecided if I want to bury them below the floorboards, or run them along the sidewall ribs of the van to show them off. If I go exposed, I plan to patina the fittings and fasteners and polish up the tubing. Below is the exposed plan. Keep in mind the back will have floorboards right across where the IRS is, so I can run the passenger side air line under the rear seat, if I put rear seats in. Up front, I'll run it behind the front wheel tubs and maybe fasten to the doghouse for the passenger side...Not sure yet.

WP

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-21-2016, 09:11 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
project

it'll never work dude!
Get a '66 + & make it an 8 door!

No seriously, I don't even have the energy, skill, tools, space, or money to do the pic shown here.
Keep up da good stuff!
Tanks fer sharin!

Old 05-30-2017, 05:28 PM
WIREPULLER
Junior User
It's been a while since I posted, so there is a big update.

With ALOT of hesitation, I decided it was time to cut open a propane tank to make my gas tank "bomb". Since I didn't have a wrap around tool, I had to create my own. Enter Christmas wrapping paper, it's thin, straight edged, and kind of waxy, so it can be painted without going all soft and mushy. I wrapped a piece around the tank, lined up the edges and taped it off. Next I applied some yellow marking paint to create my nice straight line. Note that I wrapped the paper so the overspray would be on the piece I am cutting out, so the tank retains it's old, crusty and rusty appearance.

Then it was do or die time, instead of cutting it with the zip disc, I took a safer approach and used a sawzall. Overall, I cut 10" out of it so it will hold roughly 80l of fuel.

Ready to be welded back together, once I fabricate some baffles.

Picked up some sheet steel for the tank baffles. I placed one sheet under the cut out portion of the tank and scribed the corners so it would fit.

And then I cut two pieces. Sorry for the blurry pic. These will be the vertical pieces to slow the sloshing from side to side.

Then I measured for the horizontal piece to go between the two vertical pieces, cut, test fit and welded them together. These will slow the sloshing from front to back.

then I put the piece into the one half of the tank

and thought...gee, the vertical piece isn't doing much good at the end of the tank, so I decided to invert my design and press on. In order to secure the two pieces together, I drilled a small hole in the center of the flat piece and tack welded the two pieces together so they don't rattle.

From here I had to massage, grind and bang it into alignment so the tank would go back together. Pretty much as I was crossing the finish line welding the tank together, I ran out of welding gas, so I put it in the van to see how it would look. It may shimmy left or right so it looks centered, and I have to finish with the bomb "fins" on the end of the tank. I also cut the foot off the bottom of the tank so it is more rounded and I need to remove that guard looking thingy where the valve usually is on those tanks.

Been researching how to make bomber seats. I plan to put four bucket seats in the van and one bench seat over the IRS. I've got the mock-up complete. I plan to bead roll the pinstripe into the seat and the straight lines are just stiffener beads. I'm going to dimple the holes I have drawn in and I am going to make simple padded seats covered in Mexican blankets.

I also started collecting more parts, and I've deviated from my air ride plans. I've been talking to a local guy who's big into the air ride and I've decided to use a Slam Specialties 3/8" manifold, and I won't be running copper now, but the flexi-hose. I'm not sure how I feel about this yet, but he has assured me the new style connectors hold air. I couldn't entirely toss the copper lines in the trash, so I think I may sleeve the flexi-lines in the copper pipe, just for looks. Here's the manifold.

I have been anxiously awaiting to pick up the heart and soul of #YEGRBOMB. I have decided to go with a 2JZGTE-VVTI with automatic transmission(Sorry, it won't be a Ford in a Ford). I bought it from JDM and I was very happy with them. They did a compression test before I committed to buying it, and I was able to look over the entire engine before decision too. I've been doing some research into getting this thing going, but for now, it is taking up space in my garage until I can get brakes, plumbing and some wiring done.

I started working on finishing the fuel tank/bomb. I broke a piece of 16ga steel and cut the hole to match. After welding it in, I was not happy with the end product, so I think I am giving up on that idea.

Sorry, no finished product picture...I was not happy.

So, then I started working on fabricating the rear caliper brackets for the Wilwood 11" rotors and 4 caliper brakes. Right now there is a spacer between the red spindle and the hub assembly. My bracket will replace the spacer.

WP

Old 07-07-2017, 10:59 AM
WIREPULLER
Junior User
I've got the template for the brakes done, I just need to make the brackets now. But in the meantime, I worked on fabricating the engine & tranny mounts.

WP

Old 10-10-2017, 02:20 PM
WIREPULLER
Junior User
After finishing up the back half of the floor framing, I was able to spend some time thinking about the front floor framing. I also had some winter tires fall in my lap that will be much closer to the diameter of wheel I will be running. This has pushed my front tubs up much higher than I thought they would be. Being 6' tall, the top of my head now comes within an inch or so of the roof. Of course this is when I'm sitting up right, and not in my more relaxed, cruising stance so it should work. The step down behind the front seats is where I will have reverse facing seats.

I also plumbed in the new 3/8" air line to the front and back bags. I have to terminate them into the bags yet, mount the manifold and plumb the air lines within the accessory box I made earlier. It was hard to get some decent pix of the full installation, but here are a couple pics to show how I did it.

I also got my 13" big brake kit in a while back. The rotors are slotted and cross drilled with 6 piston calipers. Should go nicely with the rears.

Next steps is to frame out the dog house and the center console / air tunnel. I'm not sure how to join the center console to the front tubs without it looking like a big rolling hill of sheet metal. I need to swing by Pick-a-Part and get a rad and intercooler for it before I frame out the console though. I'd like to have the dog house removable as much as possible to make working on it as easy as possible, plus I'd like to show off the 2J at shows.

WP

Old 10-02-2019, 04:41 AM
Simon Reilly
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WIREPULLER

Next I had to figure where a good location for the steering box would be. Right about here looks good.

WP
Reading this with much interest.

Quick question...

What steering box is this please? Looks exactly the thing I need for my '61.

Thanks in advance,

Si.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:13 AM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I C the Toy 2JZ motor a lill easier now. Did U state e transmis choice here? Toy as well?

Old 10-10-2019, 08:29 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
he said in the build it was a VW Vanagon I believe

Old 05-24-2021, 04:19 PM
unilover6163
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
So, Does this Econoline project still exist or has it been scraped, or sold?
Any updates on its progress or anything?
Thank you.