6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Should FTE have a top level forum for learning scan tools?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 03:55 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
dannyboy950: I quoted you in the main forum discussing this concept. I hope you don't mind. If you ask me to I will delete the quote.
No sir you are welcome to. I was thinking of going over there and posting my excerpts from here anyway.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:21 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyboy950
I said IDS I there was a version before IDS II. It came out before bidirectional even existed in a scanner. Bidirectional means you can send and recieve data signal at the same time over the same wire at the same time. IDS 1 did not have the necessary circuitry or programming.. Ergo IDS II was born. I used to have a copy of IDS 1.
There is only one IDS, my version I believe is 87.1 or something.

I reckon you're thinking of VCM 1 and VCM 2.

Josh

Old 03-31-2015, 04:47 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
What's the point? If someone goes into the "scan tool" forum and asks about a 6.0 problem they will undoubtedly be misled by misinformation rather than posting here and getting the correct information.

Josh
Sometimes I can't help but think you avitar should be a scowling green face popping out of a trash can. Oh wait,,,someone else is already using that one

Old 03-31-2015, 04:59 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
I am afraid not IDS 1 was several years before IDS 2 and was sold as IDS1 I have the CD and it is labeled IDS 1 There was also a down loadable version. It is no longer Listed at Ford only IDS 2 . Now whether or not they really meant VCM1 or VCM2 I dunno.

I was at rotunda about 2/3 weeks ago and noticed That 1 was no longer evern listed.
By the way was not VCM the interface device? Just asking.

Went to rotunda for once my memory was good. VCM is the interface, IDS is the software [licsense sold seperately]
Darn I still could not find if they still make a add on labscope module for VCMII. Rats

Old 03-31-2015, 05:37 PM
Bullitt390

I am afraid not IDS 1 was several years before IDS 2 and was sold as IDS1 I have the CD and it is labeled IDS 1 There was also a down loadable version. It is no longer Listed at Ford only IDS 2 . Now whether or not they really meant VCM1 or VCM2 I dunno.

I was at rotunda about 2/3 weeks ago and noticed That 1 was no longer evern listed.
By the way was not VCM the interface device? Just asking.
No idea where you're getting IDS 1 and IDS 2 from. It's officially known as Ford IDS VCM II with current software as version R94.05 as of today.

R95.01 for Ford IDS VCM II will be released 4/15/15

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/wds/diagnosticsites/ids/mcs/

Josh

Old 03-31-2015, 06:22 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
https://www.google.com/search?q=html...utf-8&oe=utf-8 that leads to rotunda who distributes the official licsencd version not a clone.
I have IDS1 on a cd. clearly labled IDS1. I have used both 1 and 2 and their capabilities are greatly different.
I have been researching most of the available scan tools for about 12 yrs looking for 1 scanner that could be used for Ford and heavy duty both in one tool. I finally found one but since I can no longer work not much need for it now.
I can not link you to 1 since Ford no longer mentions it but 10 years ago it was still listed and available to anyone who wanted to buy it.
You are a very knowledgeable person but you are not the only one on here.

My appologies I forgot I saved another link after Rotunda. That goes to some computer stuff.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:34 PM
Bullitt390

https://www.google.com/search?q=html...utf-8&oe=utf-8 that leads to rotunda who distributes the official licsencd version not a clone.
I have IDS1 on a cd. clearly labled IDS1. I have used both 1 and 2 and their capabilities are greatly different.
I have been researching most of the available scan tools for about 12 yrs looking for 1 scanner that could be used for Ford and heavy duty both in one tool. I finally found one but since I can no longer work not much need for it now.
I can not link you to 1 since Ford no longer mentions it but 10 years ago it was still listed and available to anyone who wanted to buy it.
You are a very knowledgeable person but you are not the only one on here.
That link goes to a Google search of HTML encoders

You haven't shown one thing that proves IDS 1 or IDS 2.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/fo..._Guide_ENG.pdf

Official Rotunda IDS packages

https://rotunda.service-solutions.co...nd%20Computers

Josh

Old 03-31-2015, 06:48 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
I can not prove something that no longer exists.
Now I may be calling it 1 simply because it came out before the current version but the CD I have is marked IDS1. The cable interface was also called VCM1. It was before wirless/bluetooth. If I can find a archived page somewhere I will list it. Hopefully I will not save a link on top of it this time LOL.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:38 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Man I hate to see this chit... Two members I respect ripping at each other.

Can we agree that at least in the 6.0 Tech folder, we should have a focused knowledge base on each of the "tools" we constantly point somebody to? Be nice to be able to go to the Torque Thread up there and find something I recall but can't find in a search. Ditto for DB and SGII and 4 skin (oops sorry mis-type), IDS and... There are different levels of knowledge here, and different tools/platforms.

The one thing I do know is the 6.0 is one that needs that look under the covers...

I wouldn't go to a top level FTE forum/folder for what I'd be looking for, if that were a vote the OP was asking for...

Old 04-01-2015, 12:58 AM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
diesel dan: No doubt you guys have your scan tool gurus. We at the 7.3 forum have Tugly. Here are just a few of his scan tool threads:

Auto Enginuity Class is in Session - 43 pages and growing:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ession-43.html

Updated Torque PIDs - 9 pages and counting:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rque-pids.html

Tried my Hand at Dash Command:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...h-command.html

Granted the PIDs are for the 7.3. But wouldn't you find it useful to have access to Tugly's threads as a scan tool resource in non-vehicle-specific generic scan tool devoted forum? Better yet, what if in that central forum your scan tool gurus could meet with our scan tool gurus and discover new scan tool stuff which they could teach us all?

Anyway that was the point of my post.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:19 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I can not prove something that no longer exists.
Now I may be calling it 1 simply because it came out before the current version but the CD I have is marked IDS1. The cable interface was also called VCM1. It was before wirless/bluetooth. If I can find a archived page somewhere I will list it. Hopefully I will not save a link on top of it this time LOL.
One quick way to prove that is to post a photo of the disk.

Originally Posted by Money-Pit
Yea, but what man reads instructions?
The guy that will pull over to ask directions. Like that ever will happen.

You know that there is a way to do this idea and still keep it relevant to the 6.0
A Stickie at the top or in the tech folder. But I would ask that that thread not be
locked but have a mod remove any chatter that is not on topic.

Yes John I know more work for you.

Sean

Old 04-01-2015, 10:03 AM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's one thing tho,,, the "clones",, are not VCM's. They're cheap azz knockoffs. I understand the need to have diagnostic abilities,, however to openly BRAG about having something when it's actually a cheap shortcut. I know when Ids updstes are released,,, because my screen says "would you like to exit the diagnostic tester to retrieve updates?" Freakn Chinese supporters. Let me tell ya how I really feel huh. Lol

Old 04-01-2015, 11:55 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
diesel dan: No doubt you guys have your scan tool gurus. We at the 7.3 forum have Tugly. Here are just a few of his scan tool threads:

Auto Enginuity Class is in Session - 43 pages and growing:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ession-43.html

Updated Torque PIDs - 9 pages and counting:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rque-pids.html

Tried my Hand at Dash Command:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...h-command.html

Granted the PIDs are for the 7.3. But wouldn't you find it useful to have access to Tugly's threads as a scan tool resource in non-vehicle-specific generic scan tool devoted forum? Better yet, what if in that central forum your scan tool gurus could meet with our scan tool gurus and discover new scan tool stuff which they could teach us all?

Anyway that was the point of my post.
Tim: 1st off I like your avatar pict -- plan to WW this year myself...

My 7.3 just had different issues than my 6.0 (different trans, weaknesses, etc.), and my 5.4 in the Expy is entirely different -- when I'm looking for something specific for any of these I usually start in the engine threads for diesels and the Expy thread or sometimes the F150 for my year Expy.

What would be of HUGE value to me, would be a top level thread or threads (sticky) in each of these forums' Tech Section, on the scan tools. It would be so much easier than the searches I do now. And wouldn't it be nice to point new folks to one place rather than one of our experts in a certain tool having to repeat the same thing about gauges and set-up, over and over again.

Here's more of my reasoning:

6.4 -- different beast than 6.0 or 7.3 in many ways, PIDs will have some overlap sure but what you are looking for (important PIDs) is different, 6.7 -- not even on the same planet as the other 3. When I'm trying to help a friend or find something specific for me or a friend, say -- I go to that forum where those experts hang out, including the experts that have/use diagnostic tools on those respective platforms.

Not that your idea doesn't have merit, just my own opinion/approach is I might occasionally check out a tools only forum, but it really would need to be sectioned up by vehicle or more importantly engine/drivetrain or you are back to square one and searching for what you need right now, for the current problem in front of you.

Sadly there have been a number of tool threads started just here in the 6.0 forum and they all just get lost as time goes by and they get buried. This is an important point you're making, I just see it being helpful if it were organized differently than you're suggesting, that's all.

Maybe see you out on the river one day -- or more likely recognize your rig at a put-in/take-out spot

Old 04-01-2015, 11:58 AM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Believe me if I could find the CD I would produce it and photo it. The problem is I have around 5000 CD/DVD scattered around the house. OK I admit I am a software JUNKIE, where do they hold the meetings? LMAO
The whole thing is this really has been pointless. There was an earlier version and a later version with different capabilities, what they were called or not called is irrelevant. The first versionS of IDS only worked on Ford untill 1996, pre OBDII. After OBDII was implemented a newer software and hardware[VCM2} were needed and developed and deployed.
Some day the current versions and interface will become obsolete and have to be replaced as well. Computers and computer diagnostics is constantly evolveing.

The one good thing that came out of this to me was I learned some new stuff while researching this issue. I discoverd some things that I wasn't aware of.
To me OBD is relatively new[new to me is like 10 years] but it has been in developement since 1988 and believe it or not the whole computer thing is about emmisions compliance, the Feds do not care about how else the engine performs other than it's effect on the cars emmisons. Driveability was just a side benifit the Feds had no interest in that aspect according to the articles. OBDIII already exists and was test implemented in Maryland I think it was. Political/public pressure has temporarily shelved that for now.
Shelved not gone.
You may think so what,bid deal!! Actually quite a big deal. OBDIII legislation would impower the Feds to do emmissions testing and compliance enforcement whether you wanted it or not nation wide. Supercedeing as State requirements or none. Federal regulation would supercede any other. Now do ya catch a glimmer. Tremendos potential for abuse. My appologies to the OP for getting off track if further discussion is wnated I will start my own post. Probably should have done itwith this one.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:01 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
diesel dan: Tell your WW Cool, CA neighbors Wig and Laura Sy hi from Pam and I.
And to be heard, please post your thoughts (maybe just cut and paste from here) over at:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...erators-4.html

And oh yeah, eventually, SYOTR...

Quick Reply: Should FTE have a top level forum for learning scan tools?