Sponsored by:

mounting a winch

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 01:32 PM
v10tritanium
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mounting a winch

Hello all, I'm buying a 12,000 lb winch with an 8 ton ****** block and I don't know if this is a stupid question mainly because I've never dealt with one before but can I attach this to my stock bumper?

Old 03-24-2015, 02:25 PM
ExploringNH
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No. Warn makes a Trans4mer mount that sits outside the bumper. They also make a hidden mount that spaces the bumper out a little and puts the winch behind it.

A popular option for occasional use is mounting a front hitch and using a hitch receiver winch mount, which has it's benefits and drawbacks. One advantage is that with some extra wiring you can stick it in the rear hitch as well to winch backwards.

The fourth option is an aftermarket winch bumper or a custom built mount.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:41 AM
mulepic
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going through this right now as well. I bought the winch without a way to mount it. In the past I have built bumpers and custom winch mounts for FJ80's and I'm planning on doing the same. I don't like the winch mounts that push the bumper out and I'm not keen about storing the winch in the car; god forbid you get in an accident that thing could kill everyone inside should it become airborne.

So far I've only built a cardboard template of the winch so I can mock up a mount. I plan on keeping the stock bumper location but the fog lights will have to go. Also the controls (relay) for the which will be mounted elsewhere.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:33 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mulepic
god forbid you get in an accident that thing could kill everyone inside should it become airborne
That's what the floor tie down rings are for...or you do what I'm working on and build a storage drawer system or similar. My drawer unit is bolted to the floor using the tie down points, then I'll be mounting tie down rails (that 2" wide or so track - not e-track, the stuff you see in jets to let them adjust seats) and tying it down to that.

...but if you want a 'clean' look in the back and don't want a drawer, you may need to only use it when you need it and keep it in the garage for day-to-day stuff. No easy way to hide a winch in a carrier.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:01 PM
ithaca1230
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
winch bumpers front and rear 12,000 k winch in front ans 8000 k in rear

Old 03-25-2015, 01:21 PM
04scurs
Mountain Pass
I used the Warn Transformer winch mount for my 12k winch and it will support the pull rating. It bolts on in front of your stock bumper. Was pretty easy.
I have the aforementioned front receiver hitch, Warn model, with portable winch for my '95' Ram 2500 12V. The main draw back to the receiver mount idea is that it will only go up to a 9500 lb. rating. to small for these rigs but okay for my Ram.
Hope this helps.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:49 PM
DSN46
Elder User
Warn Trans4mer with a12K winch in my sig pic.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:14 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
That's what the floor tie down rings are for...or you do what I'm working on and build a storage drawer system or similar. My drawer unit is bolted to the floor using the tie down points, then I'll be mounting tie down rails (that 2" wide or so track - not e-track, the stuff you see in jets to let them adjust seats) and tying it down to that.

...but if you want a 'clean' look in the back and don't want a drawer, you may need to only use it when you need it and keep it in the garage for day-to-day stuff. No easy way to hide a winch in a carrier.
Is the whole system only mounted to the floor with the four 1/4" sized metric bolts?

Old 03-25-2015, 08:19 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
I am having a storage box built for my tiltbed trailer for my old cars. It will be in basket and get power via a cable ran from batteries to rear bumper on EX.

That way I can use it in the rear hitch if needed and don't need to deal w an Aux battery on board the trailer.

I am hesitant to run a front hitch as I am not willing to lose the foglights...

Old 03-25-2015, 10:23 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The hidden winch kit doesn't put the front bumper out that far. Honestly you can barely tell. If I wanted to keep the factory bumper, I'd definitely use the hidden winch setup. The bumper being spaced out helps clear larger tires anyway.

I don't like the way the transformer kit sticks out personally. I'm getting ready to install a fab fours winch bumper.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:25 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by hasteranger
The hidden winch kit doesn't put the front bumper out that far. Honestly you can barely tell. If I wanted to keep the factory bumper, I'd definitely use the hidden winch setup. The bumper being spaced out helps clear larger tires anyway.

I don't like the way the transformer kit sticks out personally. I'm getting ready to install a fab fours winch bumper.
Some people do not like the fact that the hidden kit does away with the factory driving lights, but I've seen a few that just add lights. That is simple to do and takes that concern out of the equation.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:48 AM
mulepic
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen the hidden mount in person and it was not impressed:

Old 03-26-2015, 11:05 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
I'd do one in a heartbeat if I could use my existing 9k winch. I'm too cheap to buy a 12k.....

Old 03-26-2015, 11:26 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by A Rodder
Is the whole system only mounted to the floor with the four 1/4" sized metric bolts?
No, the 4 bolts plus U bolts that go through the seat mounts. I put a 3/4 ply base, then bolted the frame of the drawer units to that base, and bolted the base to the floor of the truck using the 4 tie down points and 4 U bolts that go through the wood base, around the anchor for the seats, then up to the aluminum frame of the drawer unit...so it really has 8 points of attachment (4 on the perimeter, then 4 more internal to those).

Old 03-26-2015, 03:52 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
No, the 4 bolts plus U bolts that go through the seat mounts. I put a 3/4 ply base, then bolted the frame of the drawer units to that base, and bolted the base to the floor of the truck using the 4 tie down points and 4 U bolts that go through the wood base, around the anchor for the seats, then up to the aluminum frame of the drawer unit...so it really has 8 points of attachment (4 on the perimeter, then 4 more internal to those).

I see, makes more sense knowing you have the third seat removed.

Quick Reply: mounting a winch